Have Lego mentioned why the wizard in 10305 doesn’t have torso printing? It’s an odd choice in a set otherwise chock full of detail. 

8 hours ago, Aanchir said:

That's a neat idea, though that minifig's name (at least in English) was "Evil Knight" rather than Black Knight. I also just checked the bio from LEGO.com (which you can read here) and it didn't mention any ties to the Black Knights or Black Falcons. He was just treated as a "henchman for hire" who'd worked for a number of LEGO Castle antagonists, attributing his glowing red eyes to a summer job as one of Vladek's enchanted Shadow Knights.

Figuring out if this is a reference to something specific is particularly difficult since it's not clear if it refers to the Black Knights faction or the Black Falcons faction, whose leader was named "The Black Knight" in various countries. And in that case the source could be from anywhere from the mid-80s to mid-90s.

It could perhaps be a reference to the Zarconian Jewel from the Captain Indigo comics (such as this one), which was used by a wizard who the Black Knight served, and sometimes illustrated in an amber color despite being described as color-changing in the text.

But for that matter, it may just be a "story starter" hinting at a story that's never been told, rather than a reference to any pre-existing LEGO sets or media!

I’m sure this sounds silly, but before he was the evil knight, I assumed he was the black knight, then became crazy and was then the evil knight.

Though I have nothing to back this up at all. 

4 hours ago, ChrisW said:

Have Lego mentioned why the wizard in 10305 doesn’t have torso printing? It’s an odd choice in a set otherwise chock full of detail. 

I do not think so :shrug_oh_well: However I am sure it is because they used up the budget on other printed parts, so they where left with a choice of including him or maybe just add another lion knight fig instead. Probably made the choice of including him since that will ad more diversity to the figs. It do not looks like a coincidence that a highly detailed one was added to the BAM selection :wink:

There are my 2 versions of updated wizard for 10305 Castle (1st is BAM wizard with CMF Prospectors head, the 2nd is actually Merlok with a swapped hat).

305429338-540287257852968-88160689093737

Edited by Mr. Cube

Just a little heads up for my fellow army builders: The Black Falcon parts are currently back in stock at PaB (Germany/Europa that is).

11:55 UTC: And the legs are gone.

...and the torso and shield is out of stock, too.

Edited by Black Knight
status

I ultimately received my bricklink reissue Lion Knights, they are quite good and match well with the reissue Black Falcons.

I was more interested in the minifigs only, and wasn't really interested in 10305, so was pleased to have the option to get them "standalone" at bricklink prices.

They are definitely very modern, although for me I still prefer the classic originals from 1984, something about the simplicity of them.  The modern reissues are more colorful though.  The reissue Lion Knight shields are also quite good too.  Definitely worth it as standalone minifigs.

Was also originally interested in the redesigned bardings, although it was one of the rare times where the bricklink prices were a solid "nope" this time round, hopefully they will make it to pick a brick someday, they are very nice.

1 hour ago, qbrick said:

Was also originally interested in the redesigned bardings, although it was one of the rare times where the bricklink prices were a solid "nope" this time round, hopefully they will make it to pick a brick someday, they are very nice.

The black falcon barding is fine.  The crusader barding is garbage even compared to the one from the 90s.  The transition from red to blue is awkward IMHO, and the print faces backwards on one side.

I sold both of my bardings and most of the minifigures at the bricklink prices, so I ended up paying around $170 for the castle.  I have plenty of the classic minifigs to populate it with, and I like the build.  My only real complaint is that the chimneys make no sense and aren't put near the fireplaces like they would have actually been.  I'm debating buying a second set for MOCs.

10 hours ago, thewatchman said:

I’m sure this sounds silly, but before he was the evil knight, I assumed he was the black knight, then became crazy and was then the evil knight.

Though I have nothing to back this up at all. 

Can also combine the Black Monarch Ghost theory on to the Evil Knight, as if he went crazy, turned into a ghost, then possessed the knight that became Evil Knight. 

Nothing official but fun to make up stories, altho the 1988 Black Monarch Castle and 1990, Black Monarch's Ghost and King's Mountain Fortress have some "official" localized names in the US catalog I posted on previous post https://images.brickset.com/library/view/?f=catalogues/c90usm2 , which mentions the Black Monarch's Ghost is the same "person" in the 2 1990 sets.

Edited by TeriXeri

11 hours ago, Roebuck said:

I do not think so :shrug_oh_well: However I am sure it is because they used up the budget on other printed parts, so they where left with a choice of including him or maybe just add another lion knight fig instead.

I also suspect he may have been a fairly late addition to the set. After all, he doesn't clearly complement any particular features of the model itself like all the other minifigures do, nor is he modeled on any of the 80s factions like they are. It's even possible that the designers only got the idea to include him when thinking about who should narrate the flavor text in the instruction manual.

Certainly there aren't a lot of other classic Castle characters who could be released as a recognizable modern minifigure with no new prints and only one new* recolor! After all, an unprinted torso is a lot more bearable on a minifigure whose neck accessories cover up much of their torso's printable surface anyhow.

*New, as in, LEGO presumably doesn't have a stockpile of classic blue wizard hats from over a decade ago just lying around, so they would have to bring it back in production specifically for this set — which would cost the same as a totally new recolor.

Edited by Aanchir

Blue wizard hats were in production for a 2018 80th year anniversary set (10404: Ocean's Bottom) but yes, that's still a set that has been retired 3+ years since. 

Not sure why the blue hat isn't listed on Brickset inventory on 10404.

Edited by TeriXeri

There’s also the smaller cylinder blue printed hat in stock in PAB, but Hey even then a glow in the dark ghost would had been better suited than a bare printed Magisto really.

luckily Pick a Minifigure selection at my mall had torso and legs available so it was a no brainer really 

Edited by eldiano

I think the new BAM wizard hair looks super dumb on that wizard face. Go with the beard! The torso and Skirt are a great print though!

13 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Probably made the choice of including him since that will ad more diversity to the figs. It do not looks like a coincidence that a highly detailed one was added to the BAM selection :wink:

I actually dont mind the idea that lego sells a set with a basic minifig, and showcases an updated or upgradeable design through the BAM. I think its a neat tie-in and should be used more frequently. 

I DO mind that the flagship item, top tier lego set had a plain minifig versus using the BAM version at a bare minimum. At most reuse existing stuff.

Edited by natesroom

15 minutes ago, natesroom said:

I actually dont mind the idea that lego sells a set with a basic minifig, and showcases an updated or upgradeable design through the BAM. I think its a neat tie-in and should be used more frequently. 

I think it’s good that we have such a nice option available (the BAM wizard), but it’s a pain in the rear that it’s a Lego store exclusive. I would rather see it appear at regular retail like as a CMF. 

On 8/16/2022 at 3:04 AM, woodford86 said:

Just curious, has anyone seen a stud.io file of the castle floating around?

I would like to bring that question back up: Has anyone a stud.io file of the castle and would be so kind to share it? I would like to mod the castle and plan in advance and a stud.io file of the built castle would be very helpful and highly appreciated! Thanks :)

On 9/6/2022 at 4:46 PM, Hermes Mocs said:

I would like to bring that question back up: Has anyone a stud.io file of the castle and would be so kind to share it? I would like to mod the castle and plan in advance and a stud.io file of the built castle would be very helpful and highly appreciated! Thanks :)

I am on step 439 of 629 in Studio. I couldn't find anybody with the file either so I began building it myself. I may have it done within a week. There are several parts not on the program, so I used placeholder ones for now. I think I have another 6 to 8 hours to build the last 200 steps in the program. Then I'll deconstruct and ungrounded whatever I did and begin expanding the set. 

PM for 10305 Castle Studio Download file.

I built the LEGO 10305 Lion's Knight Castle in Studio if anybody needs the file. I ignored the mini figure builds and focused on the castle, merchant stands and cow cart. If you need this file to modify the castle let me know. 

I set the file up in groups. Many of the complicated sections or subgroups in the instruction manual were grouped in the file as I built it. 

I own two castle sets and purchased a 3rd set from Ebay without minifigures. Since I only paid $300, I double checked the parts and I found all the shields and weapons not built with the minifigures were still included in the poly bags. 

Now I can deconstruct the digital file and expand the set. That black tree needs to be relocated to a courtyard. I decided to modify the set and make it a Black Falcon's castle.

Changes:
The Gatehouse:
1. Widen the towers and walls
2. Raise the walls to 21-25 studs high for defense. 
3. Add an outdoor walking platform on the front gatehouse above the shields
4. Expand the rear include a church, great hall, and catacombs. This will be directly behind the gatehouse and be entirely enclosed. 
5. Relocate the tower with the stairs to the docks towers the back behind the great hall and church
6. Replace the dock tower with a larger defense tower

The Courtyard:
1. The outer door from the gatehouse to the front walls will be removed. Murder holes will be added on both sides of the gatehouse.
2. Once the walls are raised to the next level up, the doorway will be located above the portcullis near the armory. 
3. The section between the gatehouse and the living quarters will be wider and twice the depth. The great hall will have a rear entrance that leads to the courtyard. The courtyard will have a fountain and maybe some trees or garden. 

The Keep:
1. Widen the towers and walls
2. Raise the front walls to 21-25 studs high for defense. The tower with he dining room and living quarters will be raised proportionally to keep the invaders form being able to access the balconies
3. Relocate the stairs to the kitchen indoors. The entire living quarters interior will be rearranged. The dining room will become a solace. that has a hallway with stairs leading down to the kitchen. The same hallway will also have stairs leading to the sleeping quarters. There should be room to make 4 bedrooms and I may do another floor above that to incorporate a second level of bedrooms with a balcony overlooking the water in the back.   
4. Add a gatehouse entrance to the living quarters from the courtyard.
5. This acts as the original keep. The keep will contain the storage and the treasury on the bottom level. The kitchen, service living quarters and dining area will be on level 2. Level 3 will contain the solace, guest rooms. Level 4 will be the royal bedrooms. Level 5 may be a attic. 

Outer Walls: (4th castle)
Rear Dock:
1. The tower with the stairs leading to the dock will a outer wall defense. instead of making this accessible to the entire castle, I think it should be a section that requires two gates. The tower will probably be around 11 studs wide. The tower will lead to a narrow alley that leads to another door with another portcullis. This gate will probably be inside another tower that leads to the great hall section or courtyard. I am trying to figure out if I should lead the alley to the gatehouse and make the courtyard more difficult to reach. 
2. Remove the treasury section. This will be part of the catacombs. 

Lower Gatehouse:
1. Outer walls that lead to a bailey. This area contains the inn, stables, and soldier barracks. I think the main gatehouse with the drawbridge leads to another gatehouse further down the path on the side where the original dock tower opens up to. This area has lower walls, maybe 15 studs high. 

16 hours ago, cehnot said:

Aww, appears I need to make 10 posts before I can send PMs despite being a member for 4 years, unfortunate as I tend to lurk and not comment when I have nothing to contribute to a conversation, oh well, here is number 2 I guess.

Any chance you can send me a link or does the PM restriction work both ways?

20 hours ago, cehnot said:

Having the same troubles as the other chap i'm afraid. If you could do the same that would be awesome!

8 hours ago, HistoryBricks said:

Having the same troubles as the other chap i'm afraid. If you could do the same that would be awesome!

I need an email to send files. 

13 hours ago, cehnot said:

I am emailing links. 

Go ahead and add me as well please and thank you!