9 hours ago, Poco Lypso said:

I like the original more, much more

I mean, even "official" alternate builds usually don't perfectly measure up to the main build. But I think there's still a lot to appreciate about both official and fan-made alternate builds! After all, they are great at showcasing different ways the same parts can be used, offering more varied ways to use duplicate sets within a shared layout, and giving you new building experiences to enjoy even after you've finished assembling the main model.

I agree this one isn't quite as strong as the original… the interiors are trickier to fully appreciate even when the castle is unfolded due to how small the openings are and how far back the chambers extend, which makes it hard for me to decipher their furnishings even well enough to comment on them. Also, the parapet wall around the back lacks crenellations to provide visual interest, and the machicolations below the parapet wall do not appear to be functional like the ones in the back of the original set's gatehouse.

But it's still an amazing MOC on par with the sort of alternate builds I might expect official set designers to come up with! I particularly like the decorative wooden doors used for the front entrance instead of a porcullis. Since the original set only had one much smaller interior door, this MOC's larger and more ornate exterior doors really help give this model a focal point that stands out from the "primary" build while maintaining a similar level of detail and authenticity.

I'm hardly a great Castle MOCist myself (I'm really bad at even finishing any big castle MOCs to my satisfaction), so even if certain aspects of this MOC might still seem to have room for improvement, I have to admire what an impressive job the builder did creating something new and different from this set's parts!

Such excellent news today. I had the invoice for my PAB order with loads of heads, helmets, and weapons for the various historical BAM figures I've picked up. And then a brief trip to Target got me two of the series 23 knight CMFs. That's four in total. I keep telling myself it's enough, but will probably try to get a few more.

Brickset has an article about a deal on the castle, though it appears to be limited to certain countries. Check your VIP rewards centre to see if it's available for you.

I came here to post about the VIP deal, seems I was beaten to it, below is the fine print for those wondering, deal is listed as ending in 2 days

Redeem now to get a code for a limited time discount on this LEGO® Set!
Add this awesome LEGO Set to your basket and add your code before you checkout. And your discount will apply right away.
The Small print:
The code is valid until the 30th of September 2022 and must be entered during checkout in the field labelled "Enter Promo Code". Discount will only apply when Item 10305 Lion Knights' Castle is included in order. Shipping fees may apply. You can only use one promotion code per order. This reward is limited for the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Germany, Spain, Finland, France, United Kingdom, Ireland, Italy, Luxemburg, Netherlands, Portugal, Estonia, Greece, Latvia, Lithuania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Australia, New Zealand

Discount is $45 AUD or $50 NZD, not sure what other countries discount will be, but also currently a free gift with purchase in Australia for the City Sandwich Shop set, so I took the chance to order my castle this morning.

3 hours ago, Ixen Darastrix said:

I came here to post about the VIP deal, seems I was beaten to it, below is the fine print for those wondering, deal is listed as ending in 2 days

Discount is $45 AUD or $50 NZD, not sure what other countries discount will be, but also currently a free gift with purchase in Australia for the City Sandwich Shop set, so I took the chance to order my castle this morning.

The local Lego stores have the Castle and Galaxy Explorer bundled for $630 AUD (also available online). I have just bought that (my second Castle) and will offload the Galaxy Explorer on Facebook. All up I am expecting $100 or $110 discount on the Castle for me, and whoever buys the Galaxy Explorer off me will get a $40 or $50 discount on it. Alternatively if you have friends who like space you could go in with them rather than selling it (sadly I have none). The VIP points don't tie into Lego VIP points, but they can be used in store at least if you have one nearby.

I'm not sure if it's timing or luck but I snagged 2 castles off ebay without minifigures for under 250 each. I have two sets from the lego store and these two ebay purchases which have the booklets and original boxes. I think the 5 to 6 set concept I'm cooking up isn't going to be as expensive as I planned. I'll share some images soon. The gatehouse is taking way longer than I originally expected. 

In the yellow castle remake the tudor parts should be black and white with red roofs, I think. At least that's how it is in set 1592.

On 9/29/2022 at 6:30 AM, cehnot said:

I'm not sure if it's timing or luck but I snagged 2 castles off ebay without minifigures for under 250 each. I have two sets from the lego store and these two ebay purchases which have the booklets and original boxes. I think the 5 to 6 set concept I'm cooking up isn't going to be as expensive as I planned. I'll share some images soon. The gatehouse is taking way longer than I originally expected. 

Sounds like a pretty good deal, hard to beat the price/brick on PAB and bricklink right? Thinking of picking up some 10305 and just selling the minifigs and keeping the bricks. Can't have enough light blue greys!

2 hours ago, kchan98 said:

Sounds like a pretty good deal, hard to beat the price/brick on PAB and bricklink right? Thinking of picking up some 10305 and just selling the minifigs and keeping the bricks. Can't have enough light blue greys!

I'm assuming that is what several ebay sellers are doing. I requested the option and they have ignored me. In all fairness the fact I got 2 sets for about 40 percent off. One did contain the shields used as decoration, but the second one didn't even include the horse cart or food stand. I'm not bothered when I have 2 unopened sets from lego.com sitting next to them. I would like to get 2 more sets. The current castle gatehouse is about 3 times the size of the set. It has 3 porticullises and based on a realistic castle gatehouse. The castle I'm designing will be practical. The gatehouse has murder holes and arrow slits inside the gate. The function will act the same as mist castles with a dungeon below and soldier barracks above. There will be a courtyard with the church, soldier barracks, inn, stables, and grainery. The keep will be the great hall, royalty quarters. I will keep most of this enclosed and tru to maintain the feel of the set. There will be several towers and a port that is enclosed with a gate. I'll share the drawn layouts tomorrow. These are not final, but helped me define the size. 

Hello,

I placed an order this Monday at 12:15 a.m. Paris time. I took the castle. I was waiting for a good opportunity to do so since its release, which is the case since I was able to obtain a doubling of VIP points, two GWPs (Ray the Castaway + Santa's Front Yard) as well as the Halloween polybag.
At the time I write these lines, that is to say more or less 8 p.m., Paris time once again, the order is still in the warehouse. I don't know if this 4 day delay is a concern or not.

My concern: that the castle and the small promotional sets arrive together in a huge cardboard box when there is a great protective cardboard packaging for the castle and therefore it involves irreparable damage during transport as is too often the case to my great despair.

I sent an email to the sales department shortly after placing my order to find out if it was possible to separate the order into two separate packages, one for the castle and another for the other items. I was told no, on the one hand for ecological reasons, on the other hand because it is impossible to separate a GWP from the set that allowed us to obtain it (more absurd reason, is that possible?).

I also contacted the sales department by phone to make the same request. They answered me that they were not going to be able to fulfill it insofar as it is the order pickers in the warehouse who have control, but that however it was quite possible if logistical reasons forced them to do so. Also, I collected several opinions from people on French blogs in the same situation as me and having placed a similar order a few weeks ago. All have received the castle in the dedicated box and their promotional sets offered in a separate box, which is encouraging

I therefore wanted to collect your feedback, this time by soliciting an international audience, in order to know if you too received your castle and the promotional sets accompanying it separately?

Edited by Khargeust

I too, got the orders in separate boxes.

Is there anyone that got multiple items in a box, with the castle. And was the castle still in a separate packing box?

Hello,

Thank you for your answers.

My order has been shipped some hours ago and it is in two separate boxes. Hourrah ! 

Now I just have to wait for undamaged boxes.

Fingers crossed.

9 hours ago, Khargeust said:

Hello,

Thank you for your answers.

My order has been shipped some hours ago and it is in two separate boxes. Hourrah ! 

Now I just have to wait for undamaged boxes.

Fingers crossed.

Have your VIP points been added to your account for this order? I got the shipped email also but no VIP points...to my recollection those are usually added before the shipped email is even sent.