7 hours ago, Sir Dano said:

The minifigures in that set are terrible, I'll stick with my 10305.

I'll stick with them both. :poke:
Seriously. There were 5 minifigs in that set. Only the pirate torso was completely out of whack. The two soldiers and the forest woman were certainly fit-ins. And the dark-red torso was in my view acceptable.

1 hour ago, iragm said:

and most folks are excited about the new figures

It's true, the new Black Falcons minifigs are just really great, I was pleased to get them - they are true to the originals but are still updated for modern times.

The Lion Knights also are just as great although maybe one point removed for moving the crest up higher on the torso so it is overlapped by the chain mail, i have no idea why the designers did that.  But again having modern Black Falcons and Lion Knights is just really great in 2022, they have a lot of charm.

It was a bit of playing around with bricklink to get the right quantity of new Lion Knights, as there was such limited quantities, but they were still ok price wise, not completely insane.  The Black Falcons were easily sourced, so much surplus.

I must admit I have zero interest in the rest of 10305 :classic: it just didn't hit the nostalgia the same way the minifigs do.  It's hard to beat 6074, 6080 & 6086 all these years later.

Edited by qbrick

Here are some photos of two castles back to back.  You can connect the castles together as is.  Doesn't even look too bad from the side.

cchKjt9.png

TV3Qo6d.png

rilM8i8.png

eawxwhb.png

Folded up.

yUQpETw.png

WeCAwYo.png

Edited by BTappel

12 hours ago, qbrick said:

It was a bit of playing around with bricklink to get the right quantity of new Lion Knights, as there was such limited quantities, but they were still ok price wise, not completely insane.  The Black Falcons were easily sourced, so much surplus.

What price were you paying, i see them for like 4-6 bucks. That seems a little high.

1 hour ago, natesroom said:

What price were you paying, i see them for like 4-6 bucks. That seems a little high.

I paid about 10 EUR per Lion Knight minifig not including shipping, which felt ok.

I was expecting after the 10305 set got inventoried on bricklink that there would be a huge quantity of Lion Knights available, but that did not happen for some reason (i was expecting high hundreds to a thousand Lion Knights to be up on bricklink already, but that didn't happen)

So it was a reasonable price versus waiting for September or October to see if the situation improves.

I wanted to go ahead with the Lion Knight purchase as my Black Falcons minifigs arrived sooner than expected, and wanted to complete out the set and move on.

I actually did check out my local lego store, whilst they did still have multiple 10305 still in stock, its just too big for it to be a toy and still be unobtrusive on the shelf.

I think what i really wanted (nostalgia for) would have been if they just reissued 6103 with the modern prints for bulk purchase.

Untitled.gif

Edited by qbrick

2 hours ago, qbrick said:

I actually did check out my local lego store, whilst they did still have multiple 10305 still in stock, its just too big for it to be a toy and still be unobtrusive on the shelf.

I think what i really wanted (nostalgia for) would have been if they just reissued 6103 with the modern prints for bulk purchase.

Untitled.gif

Damn, that would be amazing! 

11 hours ago, BTappel said:

Here are some photos of two castles back to back.  You can connect the castles together as is.  Doesn't even look too bad from the side.

Thank you for the photos.

Did you take two castles to display them this way at home or was it just to give us an idea of what it looks like in terms of volume ?

Personally, I don't like at all the way two copies are rendered next to each other.

I don't know yet what I'm going to do when I manage to acquire the three desired copies. Either keep a version of the model built and extend it, improve it with the other two. Or else build an entirely unique model with the parts of the three copies.

4 hours ago, Khargeust said:

Thank you for the photos.

Did you take two castles to display them this way at home or was it just to give us an idea of what it looks like in terms of volume ?

Personally, I don't like at all the way two copies are rendered next to each other.

I don't know yet what I'm going to do when I manage to acquire the three desired copies. Either keep a version of the model built and extend it, improve it with the other two. Or else build an entirely unique model with the parts of the three copies.

Just wanted everyone to see what two copies look like together.  I don’t display lego sets at home, so these castles are just parts packs for mocs.  Not looking forward to taking apart over 9,000 pieces now…

11 hours ago, qbrick said:

Untitled.gif

Would definitely buy a lot of these. Watch Lego do this but make it a GWP like the Pirate pack they have now. Something between the Forest Hideout and Pirate pack threshold. :|

I am one of the aforementioned holders on 10305. It is pricey, and while I am SUPER excited to get it, I've had some life expenses recently that I want to recover from. Also, given that I have some time what with it not selling out, I'll wait for 2xVIP or a good GWP. It's 100% going to be the flagship of my castle display. Sorry, King's Mountain Fortress, but there is a new set of Lion Knights in town! I'm not how I'll be able to work my regular wall "medieval town" sets into 10305, given the size. It's just massive compared to the castles of old.

I really hate that ramp so just did some prototyping on an improved version. I won't be able to finish it anytime soon because life, but I I like the potential. Any tips? I'm trying to stick to the castles lines i.e. arches and straight corners.

Right now it feels too big for the castle but once I add a keep behind the gatehouse I think it'll balance out a lot better. I might also try to add a bit more space in between the ramp and the drawbridge too just to put some breathing room between the torch pedestals and the castle rocks. Or maybe just make the pedestals 2x2 instead of 3x3 so they're not so massive. Lots to play around with yet...also need double VIP to get another castle for more of those rounded tile topper things.

FZESwCI.jpg

Edited by woodford86

23 hours ago, natesroom said:

I have a new faction coming for these lion knights... The white Falcons

Wowowow, so many of them! I hope you post the finished army here.

27 minutes ago, woodford86 said:

I really hate that ramp so just did some prototyping on an improved version. Unfortunately I won't be able to finish it anytime soon because life, but I I like the potential. Any tips? I'm trying to stick to the castles lines i.e. arches and straight corners.

Right now it feels too big for the castle but once I add a keep behind the gatehouse I think it'll balance out a lot better. I might also try to add a bit more space in between the ramp and the drawbridge too just to give put some breathing room between the torch tower thing and the castle rocks. Or maybe just make the torch towers 2x2 instead of 3x3 so they're not so massive. Lots to play around with yet...also need double VIP to get another castle and more of those rounded tile topper things.

Very cool; much better than the original ramp. Now the blue wagon can drive easily through the gate, for instance. Personally I'd try to make the ramp even a bit longer/less steep somehow. Perhaps the drawbridge can a bit more lowered?

If you have the time and means you could even try and build a complete barbican...

40 minutes ago, woodford86 said:

I really hate that ramp so just did some prototyping on an improved version. I won't be able to finish it anytime soon because life, but I I like the potential. Any tips? I'm trying to stick to the castles lines i.e. arches and straight corners.

Right now it feels too big for the castle but once I add a keep behind the gatehouse I think it'll balance out a lot better. I might also try to add a bit more space in between the ramp and the drawbridge too just to put some breathing room between the torch pedestals and the castle rocks. Or maybe just make the pedestals 2x2 instead of 3x3 so they're not so massive. Lots to play around with yet...also need double VIP to get another castle for more of those rounded tile topper things.

It looks good, but it should have a right angle like the original so enemies can't bring a battering ram up the door.

13 minutes ago, jodawill said:

It looks good, but it should have a right angle like the original so enemies can't bring a battering ram up the door.

That's the part I don't like lol

11 minutes ago, woodford86 said:

It looks pretty good, but where do you store it with that ramp sticking out? It sure wouldn't fit on any shelf in my house.

Just now, SirBlake said:

It looks pretty good, but where do you store it with that ramp sticking out? It sure wouldn't fit on any shelf in my house.

You have thin walls in the US; you can simply cut through them. :classic:

30 minutes ago, brimbolet said:

You have thin walls in the US; you can simply cut through them. :classic:

Seems like a joke, but I don't get it.

I think he means we can just cut through them because they’re not old stone lol. 

I’m lucky to have a dedicated Lego room so I have a table set up thats two 48x48 baseplates deep. Tons of room for a big ol ramp!

26 minutes ago, SirBlake said:

Seems like a joke, but I don't get it.

1 minute ago, woodford86 said:

I think he means we can just cut through them because they’re not old stone lol. 

Yeah sorry, that's what I meant. :wink:

2 minutes ago, brimbolet said:

Yeah sorry, that's what I meant. :wink:

Hah! Sorry I was slow on that one. Pretty funny. 

1 hour ago, woodford86 said:

Why? Having it sticking straight defeats the entire purpose of having the ramp in the first place.  :pir_wacko: