when they have a double or triple i will turn in my point and get it for the second time.

Edited by natesroom

2 hours ago, natesroom said:

when they have a double or triple i will turn in my point and get it for the second time.

Is there ever a triple VIP points promo?

No. Only double VIP events. Also worth noting that you don't get VIP points on the value of the vouchers you use. So although it reduces the total amount spent, in terms of efficiency (if you're going to buy more in the future), using VIP vouchers during a double VIP event isn't the best approach.

19 hours ago, iragm said:

Limit in the USA raised to 2 per customer.  I'm guessing this isn't selling as well as Lego had hoped.  I know I am holding off purchasing a second one until there's a pretty decent sale. 20% off would do.

I have to agree with this assessment. There have been a lot of recent sets that, even with purchase limits, have been sold out for months. Factoring in the number of people who probably bought the castle for "investment purposes," we still haven't seen the castle reach a backorder status. Raising the limit seems to indicate that Lego is sitting on a lot more stock than they'd like after 2 weeks.

If it is having trouble selling, I wonder how much of that is due to the lack of smaller sets (aka theme) accompanying it.

18 hours ago, SirBlake said:

May I ask what you’re basing that conclusion on? Since TLG doesn’t report sales figures, that seems like an unanswerable question, especially 2 weeks into it’s availability. 

I was expecting this to sell out.  It did not, and just 2 weeks after its launch, the limit has already been increased.  Additionally, the general sentiment in reddit threads (not a bad proxy for how the AFOL community feels) is that this castle is too expensive.

This thread and Eurobricks in general is an echo chamber and I try to keep a larger perspective, especially when I'm hoping to pick up a couple additional copies at some point in the future.  I can wait a year or two for that, though.

I am disappointed that this set didn't sell out, that would be a clearer indication to Lego that there's huge demand for this sort of thing.  This set is nearly perfect, and is exactly -- I mean exactly -- what I've been wanting since 1993, when crusaders were discontinued.  The designers were definitely listening to their fans on this set.  One thing is for sure -- this set will perform spectacularly on eBay and Bricklink after its discontinued.  It checks all the "high value" boxes - AFOL-targeted, flagship set, nostalgia appeal, and exclusive minifigures.  So I need to pick up additional copies before the set is discontinued.

Obviously I'm speculating on this, and I have no way of knowing how many copies TLG produced.  It's possible that they over-estimated the demand for this, but even if that's the case, it means this set is under-performing expectations.  I'd love to know how both this set and Barracuda Bay did -- clearly that set did well enough that TLG moved forward with this, even if it was discontinued after less than 2 years.

I noticed someone in europe buying all the red horse bardings on bricklink. I was just about to checkout and it was out of stock.

On a side note. Have you seen any good modifications of 10305. I am trying to figure out what would be the best mod for this castle .

31 minutes ago, iragm said:

I was expecting this to sell out.  It did not, and just 2 weeks after its launch, the limit has already been increased.  Additionally, the general sentiment in reddit threads (not a bad proxy for how the AFOL community feels) is that this castle is too expensive.

This thread and Eurobricks in general is an echo chamber and I try to keep a larger perspective, especially when I'm hoping to pick up a couple additional copies at some point in the future.  I can wait a year or two for that, though.

I am disappointed that this set didn't sell out, that would be a clearer indication to Lego that there's huge demand for this sort of thing.  This set is nearly perfect, and is exactly -- I mean exactly -- what I've been wanting since 1993, when crusaders were discontinued.  The designers were definitely listening to their fans on this set.  One thing is for sure -- this set will perform spectacularly on eBay and Bricklink after its discontinued.  It checks all the "high value" boxes - AFOL-targeted, flagship set, nostalgia appeal, and exclusive minifigures.  So I need to pick up additional copies before the set is discontinued.

Obviously I'm speculating on this, and I have no way of knowing how many copies TLG produced.  It's possible that they over-estimated the demand for this, but even if that's the case, it means this set is under-performing expectations.  I'd love to know how both this set and Barracuda Bay did -- clearly that set did well enough that TLG moved forward with this, even if it was discontinued after less than 2 years.

I appreciate the thoughtful response. As you admit, lots of speculation to your findings. My only problem with that approach is that it’s a multi-factor equation with too many letters in it. You’re not solving for X, you’re solving for X, Y, Z, A, B, etc. and some of those factors are just so squishy. 

How often do sets sell out within 2 weeks of release? Of those that do, how many are over $350? If they do sell out, is that a good thing? Does TLG really want a first run to sell out fast, necessitating a reset of packaging, assembly and distribution all over again? It could be the case that a sellout condition early in a sets run represents an unfortunate miscalculation of demand rather than a hands-down indicator of success. (Popularity indicates success, but drastically underestimating demand would be a failure, right?)

I don’t pretend to know those answers, and I’m fine with that. It just feels a little yucky to me to come to a conclusion, particularly a negative one, when there are just too many question marks to have any certainty in the conclusion. 

Seems more like an indicator of someone leaning toward optimism or pessimism. I myself am a cautious optimist. I try not to set myself up for disappointment, but assuming failure based on insufficient evidence does me no good. 

This is… hilarious?  I drove across the state yesterday to the lego store and got another copy then come back to see they increased the limit online 
:sceptic:

Color me curious on how many people there are here who are actively interested in buying this set, but holding off because of *cough* price *cough* reasons.

The Forestmen Hideout GWP still indicates a very high demand for Castle sets to me,  I think the lack of sales is literally due to people (like me) who are holding off.

I'm pretty sure we're reading too much into the sell out/limits. Sanctum is also not sold out and has a limit of 3 sets per. Pretty sure the 1 limit was just for the first couple weeks to make sure everyone who wanted one could get one. Now its on "normal" selling terms.

Also with the price increases I think everything Lego will have taken a step back in sales.

End of the day I'm not reading anything into how hard it is to buy the castle right now. Don't forget the blacksmith is on backorder and the 3/1 castle only just got back in stock, and I'm pretty sure most of us here already had multiples of that - seems like the new castle might have drove a lot of sales on those sets too.

17 minutes ago, Triceron said:

Color me curious on how many people there are here who are actively interested in buying this set, but holding off because of *cough* price *cough* reasons.

The Forestmen Hideout GWP still indicates a very high demand for Castle sets to me,  I think the lack of sales is literally due to people (like me) who are holding off.

I already have two Forestmen Hideout (acquired as gift during both periods of availibility with Blacksmith first time and Galaxy Explorer second time), and two more are on their way in the mail which I bought new at a good price on the secondary market. I'm looking for a fifth one and then I stop.

Concerning the castle, I would like to acquire 3 copies, but it is clear that I will take my time and be as strategic as possible by aiming for possible discounts, double VIP points and by seeking to be offered one copie by accumulating birthday and Christmas period.

I just hope it's available long enough for me to get what I want because it is indeed a good sum of money.

Edited by Khargeust

42 minutes ago, Triceron said:

If I hadn’t got the GWP I’d have held off ordering this. 

It’s a great set but it is expensive.

With all the basic bricks of plain grey and how basic this set is (in general, i love it though), this set should have been 299.00. I still bought it of course, but it was a very basic set with no licensing cost (artificial inflation of cost). My only dream/nightmare about this is that maybe they will have it on sale so i can get many more copies, but then never produce anymore castle... a catch 22.

If they ever do a GWP that is another castle Homage set, i will buy this immediately.

The employee at the lego store said they were not limiting the number you could buy to one since they still had a lot in stock.  She said I could get two or three.

I will build the second set this weekend.  Looking forward to seeing how two of these look together, and of course the combined armies!

I will post which layout I think looks best.  Any suggestions?!

5 hours ago, SirBlake said:

I appreciate the thoughtful response. As you admit, lots of speculation to your findings. My only problem with that approach is that it’s a multi-factor equation with too many letters in it. You’re not solving for X, you’re solving for X, Y, Z, A, B, etc. and some of those factors are just so squishy. 

How often do sets sell out within 2 weeks of release? Of those that do, how many are over $350? If they do sell out, is that a good thing? Does TLG really want a first run to sell out fast, necessitating a reset of packaging, assembly and distribution all over again? It could be the case that a sellout condition early in a sets run represents an unfortunate miscalculation of demand rather than a hands-down indicator of success. (Popularity indicates success, but drastically underestimating demand would be a failure, right?)

I don’t pretend to know those answers, and I’m fine with that. It just feels a little yucky to me to come to a conclusion, particularly a negative one, when there are just too many question marks to have any certainty in the conclusion. 

Seems more like an indicator of someone leaning toward optimism or pessimism. I myself am a cautious optimist. I try not to set myself up for disappointment, but assuming failure based on insufficient evidence does me no good. 

I agree.  Also maybe they learned from the past and had a bigger production run for this set.  There are so many variables.  It makes no sense to me to speculate on this now and why not just wait and see what happens.  

Built mine finally and I absolutely loving it!

THE GOOD:

• Looks great!
  • One of the most refreshing building experience to date.
  • Lot of minifigs.
  • Awesome action features. (loving the poop mechanism)

THE NOT SO GOOD:

• Wish some of the nice details the designer put in are more visible/accessible, lots of details you only experience it while building it.
  • $$$$$

I had a great time, on its own I think it's nearly perfect.  Just wish some of the details can be more accessible.  The action features work so well too and finally I can do something with the 100+ lego poop pieces I have.  

By the way, any one knows how the minifigure supposed to get to the top of the towers?  There are no visible ladders to it, so I guess it must be climbing with rope?

14 minutes ago, Pchan1983 said:

By the way, any one knows how the minifigure supposed to get to the top of the towers?  There are no visible ladders to it, so I guess it must be climbing with rope?

Accessibility has always been an issue with castles. This one handles it better than most. 

3 hours ago, SirBlake said:

Accessibility has always been an issue with castles. This one handles it better than most. 

I was actually positively surprised that in terms of access it is mostly like a modular, with the stairs and ladders everywhere. Certainly not 100% covered, but better than we've seen before.

21 hours ago, SirBlake said:

Imo its the hefty price tag. Lots of folks on facebook showed appreciation for the castle but at the same time declared they would skip it. 

I think people expected a ninjago gardens price and iirc the first rumours suggested a price that was about 50eur lower. And even then people complained about the price. 

Lego increased the price when inflation increased, understandable... Inflation, however, works in multiple ways. People have to pay higher prices for pretty much everything these days and a lego castle isn't the most important thing. 

Maybe lego's sales strategy involves  bricklinkers :). They know people want more lion knights and forestmen. So they din't sell them and everyone will need to buy them on bricklink. Once bricklinkers run out of stock they will have to buy more castle sets from lego. :) 

53 minutes ago, Poco Lypso said:

Imo its the hefty price tag. Lots of folks on facebook showed appreciation for the castle but at the same time declared they would skip it. 

I think people expected a ninjago gardens price and iirc the first rumours suggested a price that was about 50eur lower. And even then people complained about the price. 

Lego increased the price when inflation increased, understandable... Inflation, however, works in multiple ways. People have to pay higher prices for pretty much everything these days and a lego castle isn't the most important thing. 

Maybe lego's sales strategy involves  bricklinkers :). They know people want more lion knights and forestmen. So they din't sell them and everyone will need to buy them on bricklink. Once bricklinkers run out of stock they will have to buy more castle sets from lego. :) 

Good points, and I agree with everything except Lego castle not being the most important thing, lol. Waiting my whole life for a castle like this, so there was nothing that was going to keep me from getting this set ASAP. 

I do have a question though. When you say “IMO, it’s the hefty price tag”. While we can agree this thing is expensive, I’m having a hard time determining what the “it” is. When you say it’s expensive, what conclusion are you leading to with that? Are you saying that you think it’s not selling well based on anecdotal facebook evidence? If so, I get that, but I think that’s a self-fulfilling thing, because anytime you’re talking about an expensive set, you’re going to see a ton of comments where people are saying they like it but it’s too expensive. 

alot of sets this size (that arent licensed) usually have a brick price point at .06-.08 cents a brick. Even RealMadrid Soccer Stadium was .067 and Boutique Hotel .074. This one is sitting at almost .09

In an alternate reality we would've gotten a ridiculously yellow monstrosity with yellow masonry brick pieces lol.

Edited by AyeMatey

I must say I am probably one of those people who like the castle but are not totally awed by it. I know for a Lego set, this is amazing and even though classic castle has been a little before my childhood (I am now 30), I think I can say this is the most amazing castle Lego ever created. I got it on the first day (with the GWP) because I could not risk not getting this after I have missed out on all other classic castle sets from the past (unfortunately it were my dark ages when MMV and MVR came out). 

However, compared to lots of MOCs out there and I will say this as well, other castles of alternative brands, this is still very „simple“ and traditional brick on brick. It has a great selection of very good parts that come in handy for every castle builder and a great selection of minifigures (although I wish there were 3-4 more peasants in exchnage for soldiers (if necessary). This is why I got it, but frankly, I will not display it for very long but will use the parts for my own creations.

I can very much understand that people are holding back on this (for now), because €400 is a hefty price tag! I will potentially buy another one if it is ever on sale (maybe from a third party seller in the future), or at a double VIP event or with an amazing GWP. 

The thing I am most upset about is the scale of most of the towers, they are just unrealisticly small and can only hold one minifigure (and that barely). If the towers all would be some Bricks larger in diameter, this would be s completely different castle. 

On the other hand, I do appreciate that the designers gave this castle a very realistic shape compared to the traditional square-like castles. I also like the play features and general playability of it, although I will never really play with this of course (maybe my future children though). So I am a bit mixed about those features, given it is a set that clearly targets AFOLs (only).