1 hour ago, Darkdragon said:

On the one hand, I hope at least 3 so I can use them. On the other hand, I hope just 1 so the resellers leave some for the rest of us. :pir-laugh:

On the third hand, it should be a limited set, so it's just a case of waiting, although that could be months based on similar releases.

On the fourth hand, if they limit it, we are all more likely to get one sooner, but then it's a real pain for those who want multiples, because LEGO never seem to change the purchase limit numbers on their website.

2 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

On the third hand, it should be a limited set, so it's just a case of waiting, although that could be months based on similar releases.

On the fourth hand, if they limit it, we are all more likely to get one sooner, but then it's a real pain for those who want multiples, because LEGO never seem to change the purchase limit numbers on their website.

RichardGoring's body:

481d25b4-270d-47dc-a45b-12f3a4ae681b_1.ad073466c8684c1ff379a4ba47b41d2c.jpeg

3 hours ago, Darkdragon said:

The store in Shaumburg IL just got those in last Friday, so we are definitely getting them slowly. I checked in OKC,OK and they didn't have any in yet as of a month or so ago. There's still hope for folks that haven't seen the in a local store yet.

I was seeing that mostly due to Covid and the stores I have been to lately or had friends go to for me have allowed whole figures at least, if not just elements (which I prefer).

I just found them in Calgary last week finally, they're also doing the pre-assembled packages but I asked and the employee had no problem re-jigging the package to be all knights and shields. I'll probably go back and grab 6 or 9 more knights, especially since the blue falcons torso is apparently no longer on PAB. Serves me right for holding that order off for double VIP day I guess.

Edit: Oh also this is my first post, hello folks

Edited by woodford86

Regarding the sizing of the Idea's Blacksmith Shop relative to this new castle, I think more people need to actually count the studs across and bricks high.  Look at the 6067 Guarded Inn compared to the original castle.  If you add a new castle compatible wall section to the side of the Blacksmith Shop it would be right about the same scale to the new castle as the Guarded Inn was to the original.

Now that said I do prefer the smaller scale buildings from Medieval Market Village and Mill Village Raid just because it makes the new castle look that much bigger.  Of course one could always rework the Idea's Blacksmith Shop into a tavern or inn and use it with the others because not all buildings are the same size.  :wink:

Anybody know what the little room next to the flour mill is? It seems like there’s some sort of story in just about every nook and cranny. I figure they wouldn’t make an empty room in that spot. 

9 minutes ago, SirBlake said:

Anybody know what the little room next to the flour mill is? It seems like there’s some sort of story in just about every nook and cranny. I figure they wouldn’t make an empty room in that spot. 

It looks like it's just a small storage area.  There's a barrel with what looks to be a long light tan stick in it.  Is it supposed to be bread?  Or maybe it's supposed to be wheat, for the mill?  Hard to tell really, it's just a cream colored stick from what I see.

12 minutes ago, SirBlake said:

It seems to be a storeroom — one of the images shows a barrel with a baguette in it there, and there's also a pile of hay there on a high ledge (or it could be a nest for the bird, but there's no opening for the bird to enter and exit the castle from there, unless it takes the stairs through the kitchen like everyone else!)

Edited by Aanchir

9 hours ago, Frike said:

Different helmets and armor pieces only go so far, unfortunately. For example, I am having a very hard time creating different units with my Black Falcons despite the new pieces looking incredible.

You could always swap some of the helmets with long female hair…. 

Joking aside, I’ve been using capes, pauldrons etc to mix them up a bit. Though it dies screw with the colour coding of my helmets..

8 hours ago, SirBlake said:

Hah! That's a fair point. I dunno, I just like a little variety in my army. 

Yeah, I do too. But if they limit the numbers of different torso prints, I'd go for one each of multiple factions than 2 or more of fewer factions. 

As others do, I tend to put in variation using different helmets, shields,  weapons and legs. But when it comes to legs, I'm not a fan of printed ones. While they look fine for static, straight standing figures they often look wrong when posing the legs. So for my BFs (at least the ones that will be posed), I use just the printed torsos with plain black or blue legs. They look more traditional too, just updated torsos.

10 hours ago, Sir Dano said:

According to Mark Stafford, the reason is actually because it's easier to store a single sticker sheet than a bunch of printed parts.

What he said was: "The limiting factor, isn't pure finance, it's is the same one you have at home. Space." So it is a combination of budget and space and these two points I made mention it indirectly:

11 hours ago, Roebuck said:
  1. reviving parts that where not in production may have cost a fair bit, but not sure how much of the parts that is needed for the castle that was not in production (except the barding)
  2. parts in new colours, could see them spending a bit of the budget on that (but not so into parts so do not now for sure, will have to wait for the New Elementry review)

10 hours ago, Follows Closely said:

Castle in the Forest is the latest to have a shield with a sticker. But this is a bricklink set and has a precedence of no new printed elements. However, the printed shields are available in the Forest Hideout,too bad they could not have included them in the Castle in the Forest.

That set is not an official Lego set and have 0 in design budget so it do not count. However the designer of that set was really unlucky with the timing, had the set come out next year instead he could have used all the new relevant printed parts and minifigs in the set *huh*

9 hours ago, SirBlake said:

3. They seem to have moved away from multiple prints for a given army/faction. For example, in the last full theme in 2013, there were 3 unique Crownie II torsos and a printed armor piece. Now they seem to have gone with a single tunic for all and plain armor pieces. That's not my preference, as I always liked it when foot soldiers and archers were easily distinguished from each other. Or at least, you could build your army that way.

That is only a budget issue!

1. A normal wave of sets normally have a bigger design budget than a single D2C set within the same theme
  2. Except the 2 figs from the blacksmith they needed to make all the figs from scratch and they could only afford to make a few so that is why so many are similar
  3. just look at the blue wizard and the soldier from BAM, they had no issue with making new prints for them there since that is a different budget
  4. if we get a new set or wave of sets in a year or two I am sure we will see several new minifigs within the fractions since they can reuse the ones from the castle now without spending a lot of budget on them
  5. From the link @Sir Dano posted:  

"Every brick made, in each colour has to go into it's own box. This box needs to be stored until it's ready to be packed into the bags in the retail boxes you buy.

So there are thousands of boxes. Each year some bricks stop being made and this leaves empty boxes we can fill with new bricks (or new colours of bricks at least). So each team of Designers is given a number of boxes it has the chance to fill.

So let's say you want some new minifigure legs. First you mold the hips, and fill a box, then a left leg - fill a box, a right leg - fill a box. Then you stick all those parts together and fill another box in the factory. Then if we print the legs it's yet another box.

But consider, if we don't print the legs then, after four non-printed legs we have saved four boxes and this means we could make a whole extra set of legs. This might mean we have a whole new character we can make.

Or alternatively the set designer can change the colour of a brick to fill that single saved 'box' in the factory, or print an element."

8 hours ago, jodawill said:

and the ones with the grille, of course, have lances for tournaments.

Definitely missing a couple of horses in the sets for the knights with grille and extra armor :sceptic:

I would have traded the leg printing on the Knights for horse helmets.

At the moment my black falcons only use the printed legs on the 'Elite' units and the rest have plain black legs.

41 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

At the moment my black falcons only use the printed legs on the 'Elite' units and the rest have plain black legs.

I also swapped out the arms on mine, for plain black ones to go with the plain blacks legs. I think they look quite nice like that, and it again gives some variation despite being the same print. I haven't tried it yet, but using other colour arms would give the impression of different shirts rather than chainmail under the tabbard. White or tan might work quite well for archers wearing a cloth shirt, and so on. I'll try that later.

2 hours ago, Rjbricks said:

You could always swap some of the helmets with long female hair…. 

Wouldn't work. You can't combine quivers with it.
No, what we need most is foresmen's hat with (female) hair attached, akin as the pirate tricorn from the CMF female pirate and the Barracuda Bay female mate!

Last year I bought a fair number of extra Falcon legs to attach to the old Black Falcon torso's. Looks reasonably well.
If given the chance I'll be doing the same for my old Lion soldiers torso's.

Edited by GeoBrick

1 hour ago, Agent Kallus said:

I would have traded the leg printing on the Knights for horse helmets.

Might try that if I can ever get hold of some more black falcon torsos. 

36 minutes ago, GeoBrick said:

Depends on the hair piece.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=62696

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=17347

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=17347pb001

I can guarantee that these two fit seeing as a couple of my Black Falcons archers are using them currently.

12 minutes ago, Sir Dano said:

I can guarantee that these two fit seeing as a couple of my Black Falcons archers are using them currently.

I stand happily corrected. :dsweet:

55 minutes ago, GeoBrick said:

No, what we need most is foresmen's hat with (female) hair attached, akin as the pirate tricorn from the CMF female pirate and the Barracuda Bay female mate!

You can also use the cloth wrap / bandana piece like some of the original forestwomen. Although for your wallet's sake, you need to use dark green instead of green! Also for a bit more variation there is a brown scarf piece that Wyldstyle from TLM2 wore that fits over a quiver and you can combine it with a female hair that is "up". It makes it look like a hood that is pulled down.

3 minutes ago, jhoya said:

Here is the Brickset interview- interesting information on the development!

https://brickset.com/article/78892/interview-with-milan-madge-designer-of-10305-lion-knights-castle

Just reading it now, very interesting. Although I'm not sure that I agree with their thinking on this part:

Mike: When running the vote for the 90th anniversary, we received understandable criticism for splitting Castle into multiple subthemes. That did create some problems with the voting, but also helped us understand the breadth of fans for different Castle ranges. Every subtheme is unique and splitting the range for the poll revealed the degree of interest in Fright Knights, Lion Knights, Black Falcons, Forestmen and the others, relative to one another.

In hindsight, maybe we could have found that information in a more clever way, but the results were extremely helpful because they showed that Lion Knights and Forestmen were easily the most popular subthemes, with the greatest nostalgic association. Those two therefore influenced the design above all others and we knew the castle would be occupied by the Lion Knights, with the Forestmen nearby. At one point, we did consider building a huge Forestmen hideout, but having a set celebrating the Castle theme without a proper castle would have been tricky!

I'm not sure about most others, but I voted strategically and not necessarily what sub-themes I like the most.

3 minutes ago, leafan said:

I'm not sure about most others, but I voted strategically and not necessarily what sub-themes I like the most.

I am curious about this.

If I recall, the question was just "which three (sub)themes would you most like to see return for the 90th anniversary set?" What strategy is involved apart from the straightforward choosing of the ones you want to see the most?

Just now, Yoggington said:

I am curious about this.

If I recall, the question was just "which three (sub)themes would you most like to see return for the 90th anniversary set?" What strategy is involved apart from the straightforward choosing of the ones you want to see the most?

If I recall correctly, the Black Falcons already had a set coming at the time, so they were out of the question.

Similarly, I had the feeling that the Lion Knights/Crusaders would get a similar re-vamp so I don't believe that I voted for them.

Forestmen were mentioned a lot here and in other places, so I had the feeling that would be covered.

I cannot remember what I ultimately voted for, but I'm sure the Wolfpack would have been one of them.

I remember others talking of strategic votes at the time too, even if the logic behind it was different to mine.

5 minutes ago, Yoggington said:

I am curious about this.

I guess you could have assumed others were going to vote for your favourites and so you vote for your 4, 5 and 6th favourites to get them higher up the list than others, but if everyone did that then the assumed popular choices might have lost.