4 minutes ago, TakeaBrick said:

People say they are fine with LEGO adding females in the castle theme. But it is not clarifying enough.

Adding female can mean one of the followings (or more):

A. Having women as queens and concubines playing the roles of serving the king, basically forming a large HAREM.   

B. Having women as fighters and warriors taking the place of men, basically forming a large female ARMY.

So, one has to wonder when people say they are fine with LEGO adding females in castle, are they talking about A or B?

Those are the only options?

1 minute ago, jodawill said:

Those are the only options?

No, you can have more. I just pick two.  That's why I said one of the followings (or more): 

7 minutes ago, INTENSS said:

All I see is how awesome those torso and leg printings look.  

Same. I've been around long enough on this forum, I've realized people just like to complain about the sets lego releases. This set is absolutely amazing, so I guess people need to complain about female knights? Lol give me a break. It's a toy. Nothing about the set, or prior sets, are historical accurate. I mean, there is a WIZARD in this set. Let's write to lego and complain about the inclusion of a wizard. Or complain about the dragons, dwarves and elves they've included in prior sets.

People are creating an issue that only exists because they have a problem. Seems to me some people have some major insecurities. Don't like the minifig head, swap it with the 1000s of male heads you already have. 😒 

I don’t think the fact that some of these female knights have facial hair proves anything.  They are all still female.  I just wish more of these female knights had facial hair and that they didn’t wear mascara and lipstick while they were dressed for combat.  But that’s just my opinion.  You can pretend they are male if you want to, and even swap heads if you don’t like the ones provided.

Newsflash: Lego knows this is not historically accurate. This, in the end is a toy, it is meant for imagination, playing. You know what is also probably never seen in an actual castle? A hidden hideout in the gatehouse where soldiers of an enemy faction live.

Lego has always wanted their toys to be for boys and girls and representation simply helps. If my daughter sees an awesome female knight (that may have hardly existed in reality) she'll connect to the set quicker, simple as that.

So Lego chose playability and representation over historical accuracy. If we call that woke I love them for it. If mu daughter wants to play being a knight she will damn well play at being a knight.

Edited by hoppa

I really shouldn't be online posting about controversial stuff at 1am when I'm tired. I'm not into the female soldiers. If you are, that's awesome because that's what we're getting. I hope you get many years of happiness from them.

I don't mean to dwell on the only negative thing about this set. The set is absolutely amazing. It's way better than I imagined it would be. I'm going to buy as many copies as I can afford before the castle goodness dries up for another decade. 😂 

1 minute ago, jodawill said:

I really shouldn't be online posting about controversial stuff at 1am when I'm tired. I'm not into the female soldiers. If you are, that's awesome because that's what we're getting. I hope you get many years of happiness from them.

I don't mean to dwell on the only negative thing about this set. The set is absolutely amazing. It's way better than I imagined it would be. I'm going to buy as many copies as I can afford before the castle goodness dries up for another decade. 😂 

In that case I wish you the best of nights :)

I like female warriors, maybe not in heavy armor tho :). 

Its a playset for boys and girls we are talking about and lego does not want to promote females being subservient to men. Hence no king but a lady of the castle, I guess. The roles of men and women arent that clearcut anymore.

Personally I would swap the heads as I opt for moderate historical accuracy. This would certainly not be a reason for me not buy the set. 

Edited by Poco Lypso

13 hours ago, KristinnK said:

I actually agree with this, especially the dollhouse part. If I buy this set it would be simply for the parts. For examples of what direction I would have liked for Lego to go with this set look no further that the first 2021 Lego Ideas review. There were no fewer than three different castles I consider excellent, Castle of Lord Afol and the Black Knights, The Castle of Brickwood Forest and Fantasy Castle. I feel those castles all have a much better sense of proportion and layout. Part of it definitely is the fact that TLG decided to go with a fold-out design with well-developed interiors, both of which make it harder to make a coherent and good-looking design of the assembled castle.

I do lament the fact that none of these three castles were picked up, likely because TLG knew they would have their anniversary castle hit the shelves in a similar time-frame.

I agree. All of these castles make me think about medieval fantasy life, Lego castle just makes me think "yep, that's a castle".
I think for quite some time I came to expect Lego sets to be worse than most of the best crowd suggestions, even when taking into account similar brick size and number of details.
And that just saddens me tbh. This castle is pretty cool on it's own. If I made it myself, I'd proudly say "look at this castle I made!".
But for Lego themselves to make such a castle for 400 euros? That's nowhere near enough.
Nowadays most I can hope is that someone will be selling the instructions for "how to make this Lego castle more Lego than Lego made it themselves".

And I don't mind the interiors, on the contrary... but you can have interiors and a more interesting exterior as well. Like this one:
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-101775/Madewithbrix/black-falcon-knights-castle-31120-medieval-castle-alternate-build/#details

13 hours ago, Blazej_Holen said:

First two of named castles are trully great and by far excelent both in scope of layout, and overall shape, but the third one is big meh for me. Still these are also “dollhause” style. I like the fact that the Lego 90 Anniversary Castle is coherent and when closed, its compact in terms of individual rooms and halls… When opened its highly playable, when closed its perfect display piece. Also there are stairs, ladders and pathways to every room. Only exception Incan see is that massive gatehouse tower, since there is no ladder to the top most floor. As a long term lego collector and afol, I understand those choices Lego has made. These castles submitted via Ideas/Cusoo are fan MOCs. These cant be compared to the finished set that have to follow some rules in terms of stability, playability, features etc… 

13 hours ago, jodawill said:

What's wrong with it being a "dollhouse" style? This is exactly what I want. I want it to be playable, like the big sets they made when I was a kid. This reminds me a lot of Fort Legoredo. 

I think I wasn't clear enough when I mentioned dollhouse style. It might have sounded like I'm against the "you open it up and play with it" thing. I'm not, I think that's wonderful. In fact, it's too bad the castle designers of old would have their interiors cut out in order to make the brick count.
What I meant weren't the beautiful dollhouses from hollywood movies, but the kind we could afford back in the 1980's - where the entire front side was mostly one single colored mold with flashes of color here and there and with only the interiors being more decorative.

il_570xN.3077758122_7szx.jpg
What I would hope for when someone enters my room and sees the castle is more of a "holy ****, bro, that thing looks amazing!"
rather than a "oh, you have a Lego castle? neat"

13 hours ago, Poco Lypso said:

the more I look at it the more it seems to be a jack of all trades master of none kinda thing. The dollhouse part doesn't seem to great to be displayed, and the fascade is at the end of the day jusy a fascade.

That seems to be Lego's thing for a while now. What's worst, even though it'd be awful difficult to have a 5 star display item and a 5 star toy in one, 4/4 is definitely achievable so I'm a bit irked that Lego peaks out at 3.5/3.5.

Edited by Merlo

8 hours ago, leafan said:

So, we've got this castle coming, we've already had the updated Forestmen set, we've got the new Build-a-Minifigure Black Falcon prints and a CMF "Knight of the Yellow Castle" coming, which ties in with one of the shields in this set, and yes, the original yellow castle.

So what, just another 10 or so years before a new wave? ;)

If this set sells a lot I do not think we will have to wait that long :wink:
I would rather have a big D2C Castle and Pirates set every second year; 2020 B-bay, 2022 90 year castle, 2024 Eldorado Fortress remake or similar then a normal wave of sets every 5 years :classic:

1 minute ago, Roebuck said:

If this set sells a lot I do not think we will have to wait that long :wink:
I would rather have a big D2C Castle and Pirates set every second year; 2020 B-bay, 2022 90 year castle, 2024 Eldorado Fortress remake or similar then a normal wave of sets every 5 years :classic:

I would like to see Lego continue with this promising start, releasing most desired “historical” themes, such as pirates, castle, or even western and so on… in terms of castle theme, it would be nice to release some other sets (it doesnt need to be re-releases or remakes of old sets from 80-90s) including these “new” updated knights, forestmen etc. I would like to see more village-life, maybe small siege machines, outposts, or just vagons with treasure, perhaps with updated wolfpack faction, small boat/ship and others. I think this could be the way to make follow up to the Lion knights Castle. Tbh I feel that Lego focuses too much on licensed themes depicting heroes and stories from DC, Marvel, Harry Potter… so it would be nice to have some original theme which is not based specifically on current franchise… 

For me the, problem with the minifig heads isn't having female soldier but having smiling/funny faces.

The female soldiers in the 3 in 1 castle and the blacksmith sets were very good. They were ready to fight.

Here, many minifigs (male and female) have funny / big smile faces which aren't believable in the middle of a fight.

58 minutes ago, Poco Lypso said:

Personally I would swap the heads as I opt for moderate historical accuracy. This would certainly not be a reason for me not buy the set.

8 minutes ago, Akbalder said:

For me the, problem with the minifig heads isn't having female soldier but having smiling/funny faces.

I go even further for moderate historical accuracy. I swap the heads and hands for fleshies.

4 minutes ago, MAB said:

I go even further for moderate historical accuracy. I swap the heads and hands for fleshies.

hehe, nice!

ngl, that would be waaaay too expensive for me.

18 minutes ago, Akbalder said:

The female soldiers in the 3 in 1 castle and the blacksmith sets were very good. They were ready to fight.

Here, many minifigs (male and female) have funny / big smile faces which aren't believable in the middle of a fight.

even knights arent fighting all the time.

tbh, the castle isn't believeable in the first place...

3 minutes ago, Poco Lypso said:

even knights arent fighting all the time.

tbh, the castle isn't believeable in the first place...

More neutral faces allows to put the minfigures in a fight or not. When the minifig has a very special expression, it's harder to do it.

9 minutes ago, Akbalder said:

More neutral faces allows to put the minfigures in a fight or not. When the minifig has a very special expression, it's harder to do it.

NGL, it shouldn't be that hard for castle MOCers to swap headpieces.  Tbh, its way easier and much less expensive than to for example swap the dark tree for a brown tree. 

Well, my wife and I are long-time LEGO-fans, but she was so p*ssed off with the "dragged in there by the hairs" female representation malarkey of this castle set that she decided on two things: 1. We're definitely not buying this one, out of sheer principle (sod being able to change the fig heads). And two, she went straight over to BlueBrixx to buy Burg Eltz :-) First non-LEGO set we ever bought in 50 years. For the life of me, I could not stop her. I can live without this castle set, though, so we saved a lot of money.

Edited by Withacee

I honestly can't understand how you'd get so worked up over this, but if you are now happy everyone wins right.

Does anyone else enjoy the fun variety of Lego characters in their collection, or just me? They’re just Lego figures to me, not real people. There’s some great looking figures in this set. 

If including more female minifigs in sets increases the chances of girls getting interested in regular Lego sets as well instead of just Friends, then I gladly compromise on historical accuracy.

Otherwise, I agree with the sentiment that a toy doesn't have to be historically accurate.

6 hours ago, jodawill said:

I dont like a female  knights either but I can easily replace it with some beardy or mustache's male head. I did that for my 3 in 1 castle, I filled the set with 20 male Black falcon minifigs.

In fact I'm going to replace the queen with a king's head. Overall I think its a great set with lots of cool miniifigs and other unique parts and it has been way too long since we get a proper big castle. 

41 minutes ago, Withacee said:

Well, my wife and I are long-time LEGO-fans, but she was so p*ssed off with the "dragged in there by the hairs" female representation malarkey of this castle set that she decided on two things: 1. We're definitely not buying this one, out of sheer principle (sod being able to change the fig heads). And two, she went straight over to BlueBrixx to buy Burg Eltz :-) First non-LEGO set we ever bought in 50 years. For the life of me, I could not stop her. I can live without this castle set, though, so we saved a lot of money.

Too bad the set did not include any goats or you would be in quite the pickle :devil_laugh:

It would be so easy to solve this female knight "issue". Lego should produce 2-3 heads with one side male and other side female print. So it would be your choice to make a full male or full female or a mixed army. Not need to buy extra heads, just turn them to the other side

Edited by kodlovag

35 minutes ago, Jiesdeo said:

If including more female minifigs in sets increases the chances of girls getting interested in regular Lego sets as well instead of just Friends, then I gladly compromise on historical accuracy.

Otherwise, I agree with the sentiment that a toy doesn't have to be historically accurate.

I am not too familiar with the friends line, but aren't male characters underrepresented? I mean the friends are just girls, right?

for what its worth, lego should have added two sets of heads, giving people the choice how they can set up their army, without having to resort to buying extra heads