5 hours ago, kodlovag said:

Anyway, I'm thinking on this set since yesterday. And I feel this is just a big parts pack. The best castle ever, that is true, but much better would be possible. After 3 years, when the castle retires, the minifigs will cover the price of the set. Because I'm pretty much sure, they will not be available through the new B&P. The black falcons also disappeared.

Still, I like the sophisticated angles and the play features of the set. But not sure to buy it or not on this price. If I buy, I will customize the castle to be more colorful.

The Black falcon torso's are probably just out of stock it happens especially when they first came out.  I would be willing to bet the minifig parts will show up just not till end of year because they will want people to buy the actual set.  

Also the Queen has a different torso than the knights you can see a different design just under the armor on the very bottom of the torso its not the same as the knights belt.  

Edited by zoth33

23 minutes ago, Blazej_Holen said:

So? :)

A needle pulling thread.

It's not a perfect set and I would like the helmets to with the barding. The old style of horse has a different style of head so the helmets are not cross compatible unlike the barding 

So nothing, it's just an observation, not one that puts me off the set but an observation nonetheless.

3 hours ago, Blazej_Holen said:

People will always complain about something. There is no perfect match to satisfy everyones taste…

Exactly! I agree with you that it cannot satisfy everyone at once. 

Surely, some people could swap black parts with brown ones or whatever they want to do. Their own choices will satisfy themselves. 

6 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

A needle pulling thread.

It's not a perfect set and I would like the helmets to with the barding. The old style of horse has a different style of head so the helmets are not cross compatible unlike the barding 

So nothing, it's just an observation, not one that puts me off the set but an observation nonetheless.

I don’t know if there were helmets back in 1980s? But I know there were helmets in late 1990s early 2000s. 

But yeah, I do wish horses come with helmets and baring so they would look militaristic or knightly or whatever you call it. 

11 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

A needle pulling thread.

The classic style knights didn't really have helmets.  Only the Dragon Masters had em at the start, and later Fright Knights used the same dragon winged helms, but the original Crusaders and Black Falcons didn't have em.  I think it's justified here.

The helms for the new horses were still pretty cheap when I bought em a few years back.  Looking at Bricklink now, they're about a dollar.

Edited by Triceron

50 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

They made helmets to fit the new horses in the last Castle theme: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=13745

I agree it would have been nice to have them in new colours but oh well, there's always aliexpress.

Edited by Sir Dano

8 minutes ago, Sir Dano said:

They made helmets to fit the new horses in the last Castle theme: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=13745

I agree it would have been nice to have them in new colours but oh well, there's always aliexpress.

C ´mon Aliexpress? Really? Why dont you order Lepin? Jesus… such blasphemy 🙏

7 minutes ago, Blazej_Holen said:

C ´mon Aliexpress? Really? Why dont you order Lepin? Jesus… such blasphemy 🙏

I was like you once, then I realized I don't mind committing a little blasphemy now and then for prints and pieces in colours TLG never made.

1 minute ago, Sir Dano said:

I was like you once, then I realized I don't mind committing a little blasphemy now and then for prints and pieces in colours TLG never made.

This is my red line till the end of all time. I am purist but besides that, I dont want to support this plagiarism :)

30 minutes ago, Blazej_Holen said:

This is my red line till the end of all time. I am purist but besides that, I dont want to support this plagiarism :)

I'm a purist, but I think it would be amazing to have some tools to do custom prints on official pieces if they have the same quality as official prints. I'm surprised there aren't people doing this.

31 minutes ago, Blazej_Holen said:

true that! :)

35 minutes ago, Sir Dano said:

tbh, although I am a purist I don't judge if other people buy non-lego. Cobi for example does good quality work (dont like the figs tho), they only use prints and design their own elements. Chinese clone brands are a big no-no imo, I don't wanna help them get rich by blatantly copying other people's designs.

12 minutes ago, jodawill said:

I'm a purist, but I think it would be amazing to have some tools to do custom prints on official pieces if they have the same quality as official prints. I'm surprised there aren't people doing this.

Ktownbricks, Brickguild and Firestartoys all do this, the only problem is they're a bit expensive and get snapped up pretty quickly.

So, we've got this castle coming, we've already had the updated Forestmen set, we've got the new Build-a-Minifigure Black Falcon prints and a CMF "Knight of the Yellow Castle" coming, which ties in with one of the shields in this set, and yes, the original yellow castle.

So what, just another 10 or so years before a new wave? ;)

18 minutes ago, leafan said:

So, we've got this castle coming, we've already had the updated Forestmen set, we've got the new Build-a-Minifigure Black Falcon prints and a CMF "Knight of the Yellow Castle" coming, which ties in with one of the shields in this set, and yes, the original yellow castle.

So what, just another 10 or so years before a new wave? ;)

I know, right?

Joking aside, I think we might get them more often this time.  Long before any talk of this castle or even the Medieval Blacksmith/3 in 1 Castle, there were those of us who we’re wishful for Lego to build a once a year Creator Expert style Castle set (similar to the annual modular buildings).  Maybe this might actually lead into it?  It doesn’t have to be $300 plus, just some sort of tower (Wolfpack), mid size castle (Black Knights, etc), market, weaponry, ship, etc each year in the $150-$300 range to wet our appetites.  They could still continue the ~$100 Creator 3 in 1 sets and have these for the upper range.  Throw in an accompanying GWP like they did with this and they do with the modular buildings and we’d get some smaller stuff to fill the gaps.  This is my dream anyway as I don’t think we’re getting a full line any time soon unless it’s a medieval/fantasy license.

Just chiming in regarding whether the shields in this big castle have prints or not. For anyone that saw the LEGO Con reveal, you can clearly see that they were prints and the shield edges looked nothing like the shield edges in the pics posted a couple pages ago. It means that the images we saw were a prototype. Nothing to lose sleep on here, people. The shields are definitely printed. 

Edited by Something_Awesome

I stopped worrying when I saw the shield in the photo was the yellow lion shield, a shield which has done many times and never with a sticker.  The photo was obviously a sticker.  But it’s just as obvious they would not use a sticker for that particular shield in the final set.  As far I know they never do shield stickers for castle sets since the yellow castle.  So those would be the only ones that would have a rationale for it.  But even fans of the yellow castle have no nostalgia for stickers.  Pretty much everyone hates stickers.  The designers seem to me to be true fans of the theme as well as good at what they do.  I think if they had to cut costs they would make less shields rather than use stickers.  So I am not worried.

1 hour ago, Black Feather said:

I stopped worrying when I saw the shield in the photo was the yellow lion shield, a shield which has done many times and never with a sticker.  The photo was obviously a sticker.  But it’s just as obvious they would not use a sticker for that particular shield in the final set.  As far I know they never do shield stickers for castle sets since the yellow castle.  So those would be the only ones that would have a rationale for it.  But even fans of the yellow castle have no nostalgia for stickers.  Pretty much everyone hates stickers.  The designers seem to me to be true fans of the theme as well as good at what they do.  I think if they had to cut costs they would make less shields rather than use stickers.  So I am not worried.

10176 had stickers for the shields,  but that was kind of a unique castle.  I agree with you though that these are prints in the new castle.

The fact that in the 10305 set the knights are women and there is only Queen but no King obviously upset some people. I bet there are going to be a lot of people buying up male minifig heads in LEGO stores just to swap the female ones in 10305. Whether people like it or not, they need to accept the fact that the castle theme (as in all things actually) is no longer male-centric. Heck, even the gender binary concept in LEGO is probably getting out-phased, yet we are still arguing about the women taking the dominance from men.

24 minutes ago, TakeaBrick said:

The fact that in the 10305 set the knights are women and there is only Queen but no King obviously upset some people. I bet there are going to be a lot of people buying up male minifig heads in LEGO stores just to swap the female ones in 10305. Whether people like it or not, they need to accept the fact that the castle theme (as in all things actually) is no longer male-centric. Heck, even the gender binary concept in LEGO is probably getting out-phased, yet we are still arguing about the women taking the dominance from men.

That was a great video. I think he's absolutely right when he says that the people who complain about products not being woke enough will get distracted by the next controversy and simply move on, while the actual consumer base will continue buying the products.

To me, having all female knights in this set is just incredibly stupid. It's like they're going out of their way to inform us about how woke they are. He did get one thing wrong in the video. Joan of Arc wasn't a knight. There were never women knights. The honorific title for women was "dame," and it was extremely rare for women to join the men in combat. From a historical perspective, having only female knights just doesn't make any sense.

The problem isn't the male to female ratio. When I was a kid, I always wished I had more female minifigures. They were very rare. I think I only had two, and they were both from freestyle/basic sets. I would love to see a 50/50 split between men and women in castle sets. That would just be awesome. But I want to see women dressed as women. To me, having all female knights is almost as weird as including a bearded man in a dress. These women are all in men's clothing. (That's convenient for people who want to switch the heads, which I suspect is why they did it, but it's just really weird.)

It's ironic that you're saying the gender binary concept in Lego is probably being phased out because back when we just had plain smiley faces, everyone was free to assume their minifigure was whatever gender they wanted. Their genders were inferred from their roles, but a girl would have been free to pretend her knight is a woman if she wanted to. That's why the yellow minifigures are great. They're not white and they're not black. They're totally neutral - whatever the child wants them to be.

I hope other AFOLs who are irritated with this will have the courage to speak up on the forums. I'll probably get some hate mail for sharing my opinions here, but I don't want Lego to think everyone is happy about these "woke" changes to their sets. I'm certainly not, and I suspect the majority of people don't like it either, and they're just afraid to speak up.

58 minutes ago, TakeaBrick said:

Agree, but it's harder to suspend belief when it's all women. You sort of want to use your imagination, but as things that provide a fantasatical touch to something "historic" become increasingly unrealistic, the suspension of disbelief becomes harder. It's like having a WW2 video game where half the army is women. Yeah, sprinkle some women in there, but my grandparents fought for the Soviet Union against the Germans. There weren't any women. Yeah, it's a video. And yeah you can make it more "women-centric." But you're branding it as WW2. Even if women were as capable as being knights skill-wise, there are other reasons why women did not make viable knights. I will not get in to the technicality of the armor and wielding of a shield etc here. But yes. man-strength mattered. 

Moreover, the marketing of the knights being all women does not even seem like an artistic take. It appears shoe-horned. Agendas do not provide cultivation to creativity.

With all that said. I had zero problems with the main knight/queen (the one with armor and white legs) being a female. It's sort of like the LEGO Joan of Arc. I had literally ZERO problems with this. You could even call her the LEGO "Brienne of Tarth." But then I realized there were no male knights. My knee-jerk response was "LMAO." I was literally laughing at the preposterousness of it. At this point, I will use the queen head parts and just make a custom queen and use the body parts and armor to make a male knight, which can be her body guard or something. I was going to leave the fig as is, but with no male knights, I gotta do something.  

Edited by Something_Awesome

lol you people are blind.

PR0Un4j.png

YM2sdPY.png

KM4s1cU.png

Only half the soldiers are women, stop getting your nuts in a twist.

There are 11 men and 10 women in the set, so the gender ratio is pretty close to even.

1 minute ago, Sir Dano said:

lol you people are blind.

Only half the soldiers are women, stop getting your nuts in a twist.

There are 11 men and 10 women in the set, so the gender ratio is pretty close to even.

We also can't tell whether the black falcon knight is male or female. But to me, the issue has nothing to do with the ratio of men to women. It's about their roles in the set. Having an army of 50% women in medieval times is just completely ludicrous. Something Awesome compared it to having females in the German army in WWII. If you were watching a WWII movie and half of the nazi soldiers just happened to be women for no apparent reason, you'd just shake your head at how preposterous it is. It's the same thing here.

4 minutes ago, jodawill said:

We also can't tell whether the black falcon knight is male or female.

You can tell by the lack of eyelashes that it's a man.

4 minutes ago, jodawill said:

But to me, the issue has nothing to do with the ratio of men to women. It's about their roles in the set. Having an army of 50% women in medieval times is just completely ludicrous. Something Awesome compared it to having females in the German army in WWII. If you were watching a WWII movie and half of the nazi soldiers just happened to be women for no apparent reason, you'd just shake your head at how preposterous it is. It's the same thing here. 

how dare a castle toy full of little block people not be historically accurate, the horror! Good thing lego heads are easily swapable, huh?

Edited by Sir Dano

People say they are fine with LEGO adding females in the castle theme. But it is not clarifying enough.

Adding female can mean one of the followings (or more):

A. Having women as queens and concubines playing the roles of serving the king, basically forming a large HAREM.   

B. Having women as fighters and warriors taking the place of men, basically forming a large female ARMY.

So, one has to wonder when people say they are fine with LEGO adding females in castle, are they talking about A or B?

Edited by TakeaBrick