1 hour ago, Khargeust said:

Do you think we might see the return of the Super Mario Bullet Bill helmet in the next August set (see the picture here attached) ?

More seriously I want to talk about the "Headgear Helmet Castle with Chin Guard" (https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=3896&idColor=11#T=C&C=11) that we have seen distributed abundantly in old Castle sets until 2003.

Unfortunately I believe it has been abandoned over time with the recent reboots of the range. I find this very unfortunate because they are emblematic of Castle and bring a significant touch of diversity.

By the way, I believe that of all classic medieval helmets (Headgear Helmet Castle with Neck Protector 3844, Headgear Helmet Castle Closed with Eye Slit 89520, Headgear Helmet Castle with Fixed Face Grille x167, Headgear Helmet with Visor Pointed 2594, Headgear Helmet Castle with Chin Guard and Broad Brim 30273), it's the only one that is no longer in production, do you know why? I love it so much !

lego-black-falcon-archer-castle-minifigure-28.jpg

That is my favorite castle helmet. I believe it was replaced with piece15583 / 30273

38 minutes ago, Shroffy123 said:

That is my favorite castle helmet. I believe it was replaced with piece15583 / 30273

I think so too, but it's hard to see the reason why because they are quite different and even complementary! I really like both, but the original is really great I think!

I like them too. I’m not sure why they retired it, but it would be nice if there was one available in some shade of silver.

This conversation does point me toward something: aside from the Black Falcons, every faction I can think of (aside from outlaws like Wolfpack and Forestmen) has separate torsos for guards and archers. Or at least, they can be organized that way. That’s how all of mine are organized, for instance: lion torsos and bullet helms for archers, crossed axes and neck protector helms for guards.

It would be cool if they did that with the new version of the Lion knights. Kingdoms was very much done this way and it was great. 

I'd love it if they did introduce a second torso style for both the Lion Knights and Black Falcons. However even if they don't I plan to order a bunch of the new dark bley viking torso as soon as they hit PaB and use that for my Black Falcons. Also gonna get a bunch of that "white falcon" torso if they ever hit BL/PaB and use that for the lion knights after removing the print on the back of the torso.

On 2/4/2013 at 12:04 AM, Ardelon said:

Hmm, is the chinstrap really any different from the one on the wide-brimmed kettle helmet still in production (even in this very theme)?

Apparently, the chin strap on the "bullet helm" was prone to breaking similar to the classic space helmet, as referenced by Benny's space helmet design), as I learned in a discussion here about nine years ago:

On 2/4/2013 at 2:30 AM, Haltiamieli said:

Yes, the chin strap of the bullet helm is considerably thinner.

Edited by Ardelon
the order of my post is mixed up, but I don't know to fix it -- but I'm sure everyone gets the point

Nothing that a redesign can't fix, I also would love to have that helmet back.

I must have got my first of those helmets in 1986. I still have them and not one of them has broken. So I wonder whether it's more a style thing.

@SirBlake I also tend to give my archers and men-at-arms different torsos (and helmets) to differentiate between them and have done since the earliest of days: it's how they come in 6080 afterall.

1 hour ago, Sandbag58 said:

I must have got my first of those helmets in 1986. I still have them and not one of them has broken. So I wonder whether it's more a style thing.

@SirBlake I also tend to give my archers and men-at-arms different torsos (and helmets) to differentiate between them and have done since the earliest of days: it's how they come in 6080 afterall.

Same here, none of mine cracked like the old space helmet did. 

6080 was definitely the template for me. Later themes like fantasy era, kingdoms or 2013 played very fast and loose with the mixing and matching of torsos and helmets. I have fixed that in my collection though. 

Those bullet helms are very sturdy plastic.  Same with the open cone shaped ones with the nose guard.

I bought a bunch of open cone helms which used a lighter blue plastic, and the quality was very poor.  Easily flexible if you put any pressure on it.  One of them even got bent/crushed in the mail.  That would never happen with the classic 80's-90's helmets.

Edited by Triceron

From my own experience, I had several "bullet helms" as a kid that ended up with broken chin straps (an issue I never had with later helmets like the "kettle hat" introduced in 2000), so that may have been part of the reasoning behind the decision to retire it. It was also sometimes difficult to remove minifig heads from inside of it, as if it formed a vacuum seal between the outside of the head and the inside of the helmet.

However, if LEGO really wanted to bring it back, I'm sure they could find ways fix both these issues. So even if those factors led to it being retired, they don't totally rule out getting a redesigned version of it in the future.

Just as with other parts that we're hoping will be brought back some day (namely, goats), getting a new version of the bullet helm probably just depends on the designers of a particular set both 1) having the budget for a new mold and 2) deciding to use that budget to bring back an older part instead of introducing a brand new one.

4 hours ago, Aanchir said:

From my own experience, I had several "bullet helms" as a kid that ended up with broken chin straps (an issue I never had with later helmets like the "kettle hat" introduced in 2000), so that may have been part of the reasoning behind the decision to retire it. It was also sometimes difficult to remove minifig heads from inside of it, as if it formed a vacuum seal between the outside of the head and the inside of the helmet.

However, if LEGO really wanted to bring it back, I'm sure they could find ways fix both these issues. So even if those factors led to it being retired, they don't totally rule out getting a redesigned version of it in the future.

Just as with other parts that we're hoping will be brought back some day (namely, goats), getting a new version of the bullet helm probably just depends on the designers of a particular set both 1) having the budget for a new mold and 2) deciding to use that budget to bring back an older part instead of introducing a brand new one.

I have some grey and black bullet helms and none of mine are broken from the 80's.  I also didn't have an issue with the clutch of minifig heads.  So it's probably on a case to case basis with those things.  

I don't think we will get a new version of the bullet helm because of the great helm and the nasal helms we already have but they could surprise us.  Or like you said they may introduce something new for this very special set.  

I dont remember any of the bullet helms cracking from the one I bought myself back in early 90s till 98, but I do have a few  that has crack from the one I got from bricklink.

However, I do experience alot of the bullet helmet clutching the minifig's head, but its not only the case with the bullet helmet but also the peasant type of hood headgear. I remember having trouble removing the hood of the bang haired dark forest minifig. I actually needs to put tack-it on the neck to help me removing it lol

I had a ton of those bullet helms and none of the cracked! Unlike the space helmets which cracked all the time. I think the bullet helms were much sturdier.

I have few hundred bullet helms.  Never had one break.  However, I also started collecting as a young adult, so... my helmets are either on a minifig or in a container safe.  I am careful and not representative of what a kid might do with their Lego.  

I definitely have had a hard time removing the bullet helm and peasant hood from the heads and always make sure to align the face with the helmet/hood opening before I connect the two.  Because realigning them is really not an option.

I will be at Brickworld Chicago when they do the reveal at LEGOcon.  So I guess I will see the reveal on my phone.

I had some of those helmets break and the small swords and shields as well, but I assume most of those parts were from a 1979 677: Knight's Procession , and heavily played with based on worn.

13 hours ago, DaleDVM said:

I have few hundred bullet helms.  Never had one break.  However, I also started collecting as a young adult, so... my helmets are either on a minifig or in a container safe.  I am careful and not representative of what a kid might do with their Lego.  

I definitely have had a hard time removing the bullet helm and peasant hood from the heads and always make sure to align the face with the helmet/hood opening before I connect the two.  Because realigning them is really not an option.

I will be at Brickworld Chicago when they do the reveal at LEGOcon.  So I guess I will see the reveal on my phone.

Have a great time at Brickworld.  Are you displaying anything or just spectating?  

11 hours ago, zoth33 said:

Have a great time at Brickworld.  Are you displaying anything or just spectating?  

I just keep adding/improving this MOC.

On 5/21/2022 at 8:14 PM, SirBlake said:

I guess. I didn’t think that female pirate was poorly executed at all. Nor would I think a companion fig in CMF 23 (king or otherwise) would be “the most stupid marketing decision…”. 

I guess it is a matter of taste. To me it is just lazy for 4€. No Tatoo arms, a reuse of the old sword as only accessory...

If the feeling of "having the complete thing" isn't relevant to many people, i wonder where the outrage over Mr. Gold came from... he wasn't even part of the official 16 figures in series 10 and nobody without knowing about him would look at your collection and ask "oh, how cool! A Viking, Abraham Lincoln, Gladiators, but where is a golden guy in a suit?".

I didn't say there could not be for example a peasant with a medium flesh piglet or something like that as a cmf. It would be insanely popular yet not noticably missing from the castle for anybody - like the random pirate. A childrens toy Castle for 100€ is fine just having a Queen or King. A 350€ luxury product is questionalbe. Selling it seperately using symbols and colours that identify him clearly as the factions king (including the need to look for a reseller or go feeling for it) will feel insulting to more than a few potential customers.

Edited by Gorilla94

15 minutes ago, Gorilla94 said:

I guess it is a matter of taste. To me it is just lazy for 4€. No Tatoo arms, a reuse of the old sword as only accessory...

And a new hat/hair piece and unique torso and legs. I was quite happy with that one. Maybe my standards just aren't as high as yours.

2 hours ago, DaleDVM said:

I just keep adding/improving this MOC.

My kids and I have watched this video numerous times. Didn't put two and two together that it's your build! My kids think it's the coolest build.

@DaleDVM I didn't realize that was you.  That is an excellent display I've seen the video a few times.  You've got a great selection of minifigs.  I really liked all the different shops, farms and gardens.  The castle design is very interesting also.  I'm hoping one day to have a display like this.  I'm actually tearing some builds down to start a larger project but I've been quite busy lately with work and family stuff.   How far are you on the second section now?

Following Lego's now-infamous "price increase" announcement, do we think it will affect the rumored RRP for this set?

1 hour ago, BrickJagger said:

Following Lego's now-infamous "price increase" announcement, do we think it will affect the rumored RRP for this set?

Bring on the Dark ages.

1 hour ago, morvit said:

Bring on the Dark ages.

….Pun intended for this Castle? 

1 hour ago, morvit said:

Bring on the Dark ages.

Or you could just save money like most people do when they want to buy something and then go buy it.  I understand everythings going up and it's literally everything gas, groceries, toys, building materials.  Did you not expect this?  If not just buy fewer sets or prioritize I just don't get people sometimes.