8 hours ago, Maple said:

More likely we get Forrest people than we ever will get a goat in the set.

That is true, however it depends on the budget of the set if it is high enough to make a new mould I believe the goat have a good chance. On the other hand if the budget is medium (or hopefully not even low) they will use it on bringing back parts out of production and maybe a recolour or two :def_shrug:
I do not have good enough control of what Castle parts are in production:

1. a lot of the weapons are probably in different sets, so maybe not a lot missing here?
  2. we have some headgear like a knights helmet and the forrestman hat however I assume it is a reason why there are only one helmet in the blacksmith set :sceptic:
  3. a lot of animals available, but if they want to include the horse in the classic style as black or white a recolour is needed and the horse barding is definitely not in stock (the saddle just came in fortunately, saved by City again:tongue:)
  4. other than the black falcons most of the minifigs need new printing I assume

9 hours ago, Roebuck said:

That is true, however it depends on the budget of the set if it is high enough to make a new mould I believe the goat have a good chance. On the other hand if the budget is medium (or hopefully not even low) they will use it on bringing back parts out of production and maybe a recolour or two :def_shrug:
I do not have good enough control of what Castle parts are in production:

1. a lot of the weapons are probably in different sets, so maybe not a lot missing here?
  2. we have some headgear like a knights helmet and the forrestman hat however I assume it is a reason why there are only one helmet in the blacksmith set :sceptic:
  3. a lot of animals available, but if they want to include the horse in the classic style as black or white a recolour is needed and the horse barding is definitely not in stock (the saddle just came in fortunately, saved by City again:tongue:)
  4. other than the black falcons most of the minifigs need new printing I assume

I think we have mohst if not all the parts we need to make this set great.  We have several different helms, weapons, utensils that will be used in this set.  There may be some recolors of bricks.  Really hoping for a new barding.  I'm sure we will get some nice minifig prints.  

One thing I would love to see in this set, that would cause me to buy multiples:

Like the lego mosaic line where you buy one and it looks nice. But you buy three,  and you can built a larger more majestic piece. This could work so well with a castle. Say the mIn build is a sturdy keep. Buy 3 or 4 and you can build a wall around the keep.

This would break all kinds of sales records.

31 minutes ago, Follows Closely said:

One thing I would love to see in this set, that would cause me to buy multiples:

Like the lego mosaic line where you buy one and it looks nice. But you buy three,  and you can built a larger more majestic piece. This could work so well with a castle. Say the mIn build is a sturdy keep. Buy 3 or 4 and you can build a wall around the keep.

This would break all kinds of sales records.

That's more or less what the Creator 3-in-1 castle did. All three alternate builds could be connected together into one larger castle.

The downside is that doing something like that often requires some compromises to get multiple uses out of the same parts, and can end up leaving a fair number of "leftover" parts anyway. And doing an expensive set that way could risk the base model of the set feeling "incomplete", which isn't necessarily the most appealing thing for buyers who can only budget one copy of the set instead of two or three.

Of course, even if the set isn't designed with that kind of expansion in mind, castle parts are good for both building and expanding castles—so I don't doubt that fan builders might come up with something using multiple copies of the set anyway.

In my continuing effort to keep my expectations reasonable, I thought it would be helpful to look at the sets released since 1015 that are priced around $350. BrickSet makes this easy: https://brickset.com/sets/query-8824

SELECT * FROM Sets
WHERE (USRetailPrice > 300) AND (USRetailPrice < 400) AND (YearFrom >= 2015) AND (Minifigs >= 1)
ORDER BY SortKey ASC

10261-1.jpg?20180426015571040-1.jpg?20160711021171043-1.jpg?20180725031971044-1.jpg?20190813015975222-1.jpg?20180821015975290-1.jpg?20200909125575309-1.jpg?20210106062575827-1.jpg?20151027043375978-1.jpg?20200813115676042-1.jpg?201502100852

As you can see from the 10 sets above, we already have two castles in the same price range as the rumored 10305 Lion King’s Castle 90th Anniversary Set. One being 71040: Disney Castle priced at $349.99 and the 71043: Hogwarts Castle priced at $399.99. On averaged there are just over 5,000 pieces in these two. But the average number of pieces of the above ten sets: 3,961, and there are multiple $400 sets above upping the piece count even more. After looking at the ten sets above and considering recent inflation numbers, I am lowering my piece count expectation to 3,500 to 4,000, anything above that is bonus.

Of the above sets; the 71040: Disney Castle gives me hope.

Edited by Follows Closely
added links

1 hour ago, Follows Closely said:

As you can see from the 10 sets above, we already have two castles in the same price range as the rumored 10305 Lion King’s Castle 90th Anniversary Set. One being 71040: Disney Castle priced at $349.99 and the 71043: Hogwarts Castle priced at $399.99. On averaged there are just over 5,000 pieces in these two. But the average number of pieces of the above ten sets: 3,961, and there are multiple $400 sets above. After looking at the ten sets above and considering recent inflation numbers, I am lowering my piece count expectation to 3,500 to 4,000, anything above that is bonus.

Those are both greats sets, but I would not say they are in system scale, well the Disney one is a strange 50-50 scale, so they must do it differently with this castle. My guess is less small external details, closed wall on the outside, open on the inside with easy access to the rooms with a lot of details hopefully..

I built the blacksmith set yesterday and it is a nice looking and fun set to build, but the scale is way of anything we have gotten in Castle previously unfortunately. Not the Lego designers fault since I believe the original submission was even bigger, but would have been better if they choose a Ideas submission with more buildings at a smaller scale in my mind. There are plenty of those on Ideas, but I guess we will not get a Castle set for a long time on Ideas now :def_shrug:

48 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

...but would have been better if they choose a Ideas submission with more buildings at a smaller scale in my mind...

100% agree. I love the blacksmith shop, but there are so many other medieval sets (all castles) on ideas I like more. I also expect a tradition closed wall castle with open interiors, just larger than anything we have seen before. It better be bley!

On 3/9/2022 at 3:12 PM, Aanchir said:

Plus, if this sells well enough, it could hypothetically even get follow-up "expansion sets" like Ninjago City did!

This would make my day. No, make my year!

11 hours ago, Follows Closely said:

This would make my day. No, make my year!

Mine too.  I think this is a great opportunity to kick off an annual D2C Castle series, just like we get the annual modular building, winter village, Ninjago City expansion, UCS Star Wars, etc.  Even if it's years before we get a proper full Castle theme, an annual big set would make me incredibly happy.  Hopefully the sales of Medieval Blacksmith and this set (not to mention the Creator 3-in-1 set) send LEGO a message that this would be an excellent idea.

2 hours ago, Phyre said:

Mine too.  I think this is a great opportunity to kick off an annual D2C Castle series, just like we get the annual modular building, winter village, Ninjago City expansion, UCS Star Wars, etc.  Even if it's years before we get a proper full Castle theme, an annual big set would make me incredibly happy.  Hopefully the sales of Medieval Blacksmith and this set (not to mention the Creator 3-in-1 set) send LEGO a message that this would be an excellent idea.

Also the frightening knight torsos and legs as well as the lion shields were already sold out on the BAM service on day 02 - before they took it offline. Black falcons were also hard to get during the first months. I just hope lego doesn't interpret this as 'demand being saturated', lol. 

Edited by Poco Lypso

8 hours ago, Poco Lypso said:

Also the frightening knight torsos and legs as well as the lion shields were already sold out on the BAM service on day 02 - before they took it offline. Black falcons were also hard to get during the first months. I just hope lego doesn't interpret this as 'demand being saturated', lol. 

'Demand being saturated' lol. I think Lego's been interpreting this way for the past 10 years :D

On 4/18/2022 at 1:58 PM, Follows Closely said:

In my continuing effort to keep my expectations reasonable, I thought it would be helpful to look at the sets released since 1015 that are priced around $350. BrickSet makes this easy: https://brickset.com/sets/query-8824

SELECT * FROM Sets
WHERE (USRetailPrice > 300) AND (USRetailPrice < 400) AND (YearFrom >= 2015) AND (Minifigs >= 1)
ORDER BY SortKey ASC

10261-1.jpg?20180426015571040-1.jpg?20160711021171043-1.jpg?20180725031971044-1.jpg?20190813015975222-1.jpg?20180821015975290-1.jpg?20200909125575309-1.jpg?20210106062575827-1.jpg?20151027043375978-1.jpg?20200813115676042-1.jpg?201502100852

As you can see from the 10 sets above, we already have two castles in the same price range as the rumored 10305 Lion King’s Castle 90th Anniversary Set. One being 71040: Disney Castle priced at $349.99 and the 71043: Hogwarts Castle priced at $399.99. On averaged there are just over 5,000 pieces in these two. But the average number of pieces of the above ten sets: 3,961, and there are multiple $400 sets above upping the piece count even more. After looking at the ten sets above and considering recent inflation numbers, I am lowering my piece count expectation to 3,500 to 4,000, anything above that is bonus.

Of the above sets; the 71040: Disney Castle gives me hope.

All these sets are licensed ones. If We take a look at Ninjago Cities, for 300$ we have 5000 or more pieces. For the range of pieces that you expect we got Assembly Square Modular at 250$. I think we could expect far more than 3500. I would not be surprised with a 5500 pieces set. 

6 hours ago, astroboy75 said:

All these sets are licensed ones. If We take a look at Ninjago Cities, for 300$ we have 5000 or more pieces. For the range of pieces that you expect we got Assembly Square Modular at 250$. I think we could expect far more than 3500. I would not be surprised with a 5500 pieces set. 

Fair point. I adjusted the query to have a lower bound of $295 instead of $300 to include the Ninjago sets.

SELECT * FROM Sets
WHERE (USRetailPrice > 295) AND (USRetailPrice < 405) AND (YearFrom >= 2015) AND (Minifigs >= 1)
ORDER BY SortKey ASC

70620-1.jpg?20170621022070840-1.jpg?20190106115771741-1.jpg?202008161029

These three sets average 4,576 pieces with all three retailing for $300 USD. In my opinion two of the three sets represent the best value LEGO has produced in a set, ever. If 10305 resembles these; us fans will be beyond pleased.

2 hours ago, unclejeffie said:

will the set be limited edition?

Probably, my guess is that they will release other smaller sets like the creator one for the anniversary that normal toy shops can sell. Would not be surprised if this is only sold directly from Lego or maybe a few of the biggest shops as well (that normally sell D2C sets) :shrug_oh_well:

2 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Probably, my guess is that they will release other smaller sets like the creator one for the anniversary that normal toy shops can sell. Would not be surprised if this is only sold directly from Lego or maybe a few of the biggest shops as well (that normally sell D2C sets) :shrug_oh_well:

so basically day 1 for me.

I did not had the luck for the Bricklink castle, now I see someone not far from me selling his for 400... Good thing I was fast for BAM online with ordering a squad of the castle dudes before they took it offline.

The demand for "castle" anything is insanely high right now.  I have been displaying at AFOL conventions and LEGO shows for 15 years now.  Never have I gotten so many comments/questions from the public and even hardcore LEGO fans about the best way to obtain medieval parts/figs.  

1 hour ago, DaleDVM said:

The demand for "castle" anything is insanely high right now.  I have been displaying at AFOL conventions and LEGO shows for 15 years now.  Never have I gotten so many comments/questions from the public and even hardcore LEGO fans about the best way to obtain medieval parts/figs.  

That's what happens when there hasn't been a castle theme for almost 10 years. Hopefully this new set, as well as blacksmith shop and 3 and 1 set, are a foreshadowing of things to come. 

16 minutes ago, Shroffy123 said:

That's what happens when there hasn't been a castle theme for almost 10 years. Hopefully this new set, as well as blacksmith shop and 3 and 1 set, are a foreshadowing of things to come. 

I hope for the same, but the last several years have whipped me into expecting only occasional, niche offerings. (Ideas, creator, anniversary) 

Surely better than nothing, but a full theme would be the dream. Things seem to point away from that eventuality. 

Maybe this 10 year dry spell for castle sets is just TLGs insurance policy to ensure this set sells like crazy.  Even if there are only 3000 pieces, im buying multiples in anticipation of another dry spell until 2032.

4 hours ago, BTappel said:

Maybe this 10 year dry spell for castle sets is just TLGs insurance policy to ensure this set sells like crazy.  Even if there are only 3000 pieces, im buying multiples in anticipation of another dry spell until 2032.

I'm also considering buying multiples, but I don't think there will be a dry spell for that long. They're re-introducing the theme with some consistency, and between the 3-in-1 castle, Medieval Blacksmith and the 90th Anniversary Castle I think they are priming fans for a larger line soon. Who knows, though.

While I might dream of a new castle line I don't think we can look to the three recent castle offerings to provide us with an indication of TLG's strategic thought. This is because two of the three are the result of democratic processes over which TLG had no/limited control in deciding the outcome (which opens up a different debate about transparency of process etc...but that's for another topic thread). We still don't know what the anniversary set looks like or contains: it has 'castle' in the title but do you remember the pre-Nexo Knight speculation and the hope we had? I very much doubt we'll get another curve ball like that in this case but until I see pictures...

What we can hope for is that TLG look at how much fervour the two fan supported sets garnered and how well the three recent castle sets sell and TLG adapt their strategy accordingly. Having said that, we all know that scarcity drives up demand, so could the strategy be to drip feed us sets to keep us hungry for more? It's a bit cynical, but I've had one of those weeks! Someone somewhere will know the economics behind selling sets - larger vs small, through toy stores vs D2C...

Did Cruasers theme use to have a molded dragon back in the past? If so, would it be likely to include a new/old molded dragon in this set?

48 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Did Cruasers theme use to have a molded dragon back in the past? If so, would it be likely to include a new/old molded dragon in this set?

There were no dragons in the Crusaders theme at all. I don't think fantasy elements came along until Fright Knights a few years later

If you don’t count ghosts (I wouldn’t) as fantasy elements, the first appearance of Majisto and the old molded dragon was in Dragon Knights, 1993.