2 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

And here's the optimist in me hoping for the triumphant return of the raised baseplate :pir-laugh: Now that would be something worthy of the anniversary.

Considering that two of the best old castles (King's Mountain Fortress & Black Knight's Castle) use a raised baseplate, I totally agree. That said, I think it would be tough to fit $350 worth of bricks on a raised baseplate, lol. At least, not on that cool ramp one that those others are built on.

3 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

And here's the optimist in me hoping for the triumphant return of the raised baseplate :pir-laugh: Now that would be something worthy of the anniversary.

I’m with you - I do hope for a raised baseplate after seeing a castle set back when I was 10 years old and I wanted it! Sadly, I never own it at all.

I have my sigfig photo against the cool "canyon" raised baseplate that came with the Dark Forest Fortress set.  It is expensive as hell on Bricklink.  

I loved the old sets on the raised baseplates.  I found it interesting how the designers used them to great effect in their castle builds.  However, the raised baseplate's time has passed IMHO and if I never see them again that is a good thing.  

If we have to wait another 3 months for photos of this set, I think I may go mad with anticipation...   I know it is no longer likely or TLG policy to do so...  But I would love if they revealed this set at Brickworld Chicago.  They revealed the medieval market village at BW Chicago many years ago.  It is an awesome event!  

2 hours ago, Follows Closely said:

There is a %0 chance that this set will have a raised baseplate. It just does not make any sense.

Oh I’m sure you’re right, but it’s a fun idea. 

7 hours ago, SirBlake said:

Considering that two of the best old castles (King's Mountain Fortress & Black Knight's Castle) use a raised baseplate, I totally agree. That said, I think it would be tough to fit $350 worth of bricks on a raised baseplate, lol. At least, not on that cool ramp one that those others are built on.

Totally agree, a set that price on one raised baseplate would be an odd tall tower.

Clearly we need FOUR raised baseplates for each corner of the castle! :pir-tongue:

Nonono, it's going to be a proper moat-and-bailey setup on a 48x48 raised baseplate with a viking raiding party!

One can dream, right?:excited:

Edited by GeoBrick

9 hours ago, Follows Closely said:

There is a %0 chance that this set will have a raised baseplate. It just does not make any sense.

Sure, we haven’t seen them for two or three decades but you do not have solid evidence to support your theory they don’t make raised baseplate…yet.

We don’t have any descriptions on this Lion King’’s Castle at the moment, such as piece counts, minifigures, etc etc etc…

Right now, it’s just a fun idea to talk about raised baseplate for old time’s sake. 

9 hours ago, SirBlake said:

Oh I’m sure you’re right, but it’s a fun idea. 

I actually sold all my raised baseplates as they simply take up too much space. I can't say that I miss them at all. I can't wait to see what LEGO has in store for this set. It has so much potential and I am so sure* that it will not disappoint.

* please LEGO don't mess this up, I am not stable enough to be let down.

1 hour ago, Follows Closely said:

I actually sold all my raised baseplates as they simply take up too much space. I can't say that I miss them at all. I can't wait to see what LEGO has in store for this set. It has so much potential and I am so sure* that it will not disappoint.

* please LEGO don't mess this up, I am not stable enough to be let down.

You make a fiar point about raised baseplates. But as I mentioned in my post somehwere here, I never owned a raised baseplate so I would like to get one! Once again, there is no solid evidence about raised baseplate being included at the moment.

and it’s best to lower our expectations so it would soften disappointments. 

1 hour ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Once again, there is no solid evidence about raised baseplate being included at the moment.

and it’s best to lower our expectations so it would soften disappointments. 

I think it's fair to say from this thread that at least some people are going to be disappointed! It goes to show how impossible Lego's job is, that even a £350 set can't realistically include EVERYTHING that fans would like to see in a tribute to Castle.

I only had experience with 1 raised baseplate 6278: Enchanted Island, while it did offer terrain and the print on it was amazing with the river, rocks and plants, it was quite thin and flimsy at the raised stud area corners.

Also heavy multi-color prints like that could get scratched and permanently look bad

6024px2.png

For a €300+ set, I'd rather see terrain made of slopes and maybe some burps to form a cliff/cave/basement section.

Some older Castles had various raised baseplates, some a lot better then others, it really depends how it presents, the year 2000 Castle being the worst imo, very junior, and just plopped on top of the baseplate, and the drawbridge being hollow underneath seems not very defensive at all.

The 3-in-1 Castle makes good use of 2x2x3 slopes and the Olive color doesn't even look bad imo, so far it's only in Olive in that one set, but wouldn't mind seeing some in the big Castle.

6343647.jpg

Also , a courtyard in the front, instead of a cliff, could work as well, it would be an area for some market and joust in front the castle.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, Alexandrina said:

I think it's fair to say from this thread that at least some people are going to be disappointed! It goes to show how impossible Lego's job is, that even a £350 set can't realistically include EVERYTHING that fans would like to see in a tribute to Castle.

You have a good point. 

Wasn't there something about the type of plastic used to make base plates being different to the plastic used to make bricks and not being as eco friendly? Wasn't that one of the 'reasons' for the end of the City road base plates? I presume the old raised base plates were of the same type of (non-eco friendly) plastic and so LEGO would not create a new (raised) base plate unless it was to be made from better plastic?

I am not bothered about the inclusion (or not) of a raised base plate although I can understand the desire for one - I only had two but they were for classic Pirates sets and I was always a little envious of those with Castle raised base plates, particularly the Dark Forest one. However, I doubt we'll get one and think they'll use LURPs and BURPs to achieve any significant height.

I would prefer the castle to be on base plates like 6080 rather than the base being many smaller plates like B Bay or the 3-in-1 or the Blacksmith - they look good on a shelf but tend to break apart when being moved or played with, though this might just be my children and/or when being played with on a carpet... Although we can see the current trend from those recent examples so I'll probably be disappointed! :laugh: But the use of a few, large base plates may reduce the possible modularity that has been suggested, and I do like the thought of a very modern take on the classic modular castle, so perhaps, for that, I'm willing to suffer a little disappointment (and I can always buy base plates and mod!).

On 4/11/2022 at 2:45 PM, AViewToALego said:

Excellent example! I feel this is one of the sets that made perfect use of the larger BURP pieces without violating the integrity of the set as a whole.

I'll go one better and point to 7079-1 Fantasy Era Castle Drawbridge Defense. It's perfect in every way, including its use of BURPs.

7079-1.png

1 hour ago, Sandbag58 said:

Wasn't there something about the type of plastic used to make base plates being different to the plastic used to make bricks and not being as eco friendly?

If that was the case, surely they'd have retired the Xtra baseplates too, rather than releasing them again in new packaging?

1 hour ago, Sandbag58 said:

But the use of a few, large base plates may reduce the possible modularity that has been suggested

There's no reason modular and baseplate have to be incompatible imo. Imagine if we had a central keep on a raised baseplate, but outer areas of the set (walls, moat, village, etc.) on separate baseplates, with a series of connections via hinge or Technic pin. It could work imo.

2 hours ago, SirBlake said:

7079-1 Fantasy Era Castle Drawbridge Defense. It's perfect in every way, including its use of BURPs.

I gotta have to admit that I didn't even knew that set existed!

1 hour ago, AViewToALego said:

I gotta have to admit that I didn't even knew that set existed!

Not only is it a great build (one of my favorites of that line), but the mini fig selection is about as good as it gets. The gold knight is spectacular and one of the best queens ever too, in my opinion. 

Edited by SirBlake

4 hours ago, SirBlake said:

I'll go one better and point to 7079-1 Fantasy Era Castle Drawbridge Defense. It's perfect in every way, including its use of BURPs.

I really liked that set.  Still have all the figs from that set.  It reminds me of the wolfpack tower with a similar build and I also own that set.  This thread is just bringing back all the fond memories I had when getting castle sets as a kid and teenager.  I really can't wait to see what this set will look like.  The blacksmith and the 3in1 castle sets have really brought me back to my earlier lego days.  I actually tore down a lion knights castle I had made to make room for this one and I'm actually going to use the bricks to build a castle for the black falcon knights or possibly a town and castle will have to see what I have brick wise.  

53 minutes ago, SirBlake said:

Not only is it a great build (one of my favorites of that line), but the mini fig selection is about as good as it gets. The gold knight is spectacular and one of the best queens ever too, in my opinion. 

I agree the golden knight is a great fig.  The queen is one of the best and the print is great.  The skeleton heads of the fantasy era are the best in my opinion I wish they would bring that print back.  

Given the rumored price, which puts this castle in the same price range as the Disney castle (without the licensed theme), I think its going to be HUGE. I'm expecting far and away the greatest Lego castle of ALL TIME!!! 

Screenshot_20220413-081230_Chrome.jpg

I checked UK website and it now allows you to build a minifiruew with new castle parts. I don't know if I can purchase it from the USA. Screenshot_20220413-074133_Chrome.jpg

Edited by cehnot

Nice! Although those parts were all available last year in the US stores' BAM (at least in Boston). It's great that this is coming to everyone through online ordering.

I love that they added this online BAM, €6,99 for 3 figures isn't bad (€2,33 per figure even if you add more)

And it's seperate from the pick-a-brick so no service fees, just the regular shipping as ordering normal.

I know those first offerings are older parts from like 2020, but that also gives people a reason still to go to stores if they wish for newer parts.

Edited by TeriXeri