On 3/30/2022 at 4:15 PM, Classic_Spaceman said:

There are two Minifigs in the DeLorean announcement video that have what appears to be an updated version of the classic red Forestmen torso.

That's very exciting to hear, since back in the day, a lot of marketing materials identified the green and red forestman minifigures as Robin Hood and Little John, respectively! Of all the Forestmen torso designs, the red torso was also probably the second most common, and as such it seems like a very good choice choice of classic torso design to update/re-imagine for new medieval sets.

While I agree with others that the video in question seems to include a mix of various sets and MOCs, it does seem quite plausible that some of the figure designs and builds that aren't recognizable from earlier setsmight be from the 90th anniversary castle, especially since for a CGI video like this, it would be a lot easier to repurpose assets from actual sets like they did for other characters than to create entirely custom minifigure graphics that would only show up briefly in the background.

I wouldn't be surprised if at least some parts of the castle's curtain wall in that video are based on the one from the new castle (albeit possibly with some modifications). The new 1x4x2/3 brick with curved top would not be a super obvious/intuitive choice if the animation studio were just trying to throw together a castle wall from random parts. Nor would they likely waste time on details like the tree branch growing out of the wall on the left side that aren't strictly necessary in the context of this video. The sheer SIZE of that curtain wall compared to traditional LEGO castles is also along the lines of what I'd expect from the anniversary castle, considering its rumored price point!

I'm less certain about other parts of the castle in the video, since many structures further behind the curtain wall are clearly copied directly from portions of the 3-in-1 Medieval Castle. But I don't think it'd be TOO far-fetched for the new castle to include a minimally-altered recreation of the 6080 King's Castle gatehouse, even if it looks a little incongruous with the more detailed curtain wall in some of the shots from this video.

Certainly as a 90s kid, I loved seeing near-exact recreations of stuff from my own childhood in recent exclusive sets, like the Sphinx and Anubis statues in 10273 Haunted House or the Islanders mask statue in 21322 Pirates of Barracuda Bay. Recreating the whole gatehouse certainly goes a bit farther than either of those examples, but even in this video we can see that some detail has been added to some of the roughest or most outdated-looking portions of that set like the drawbridge, so even if this does end up being part of the anniversary set, I'd reserve judgment until seeing how it looks in the context of the set as a whole.

I’d much prefer one of each faction for torsos and heraldry in the new set; I’m confident that Lego has made as much from Black Falcon pick a brick sales as it has from all the blacksmith shops. 

I wonder if people expecting the set to be made primarily of standard bricks will be in for a surprise. After all, for all Knights Kingdom got derided for large prefabricated pieces, they've been a hallmark of Castle since the early days. Other than the original castle, the major sets have always included wall panels, BURPs and LURPs, crenellated roof pieces, raised baseplates and other such parts.

Surely it would be more of a departure from the theme if none of these were present in the set. I'm personally expecting some rock pieces as the minimum.

Honestly I would have no problems with some panels or BURP supporting the model.

BURP variants especially have been used to good effect in many recent sets and then often covered up with rock detail unlike the old days where they would be mostly exposed.

Pieces like this I would not mind in a big set, as long as they are used well, sparingly and integrated :

4537056.jpg4223716.jpg6008715.jpg6273864.jpg

Then there are parts like this which become borderline oversimplified, I know they got a certain shape that would otherwise not really possible but the part would be a lot more obvious due to the size and depth.

6005319.jpg6005935.jpg6351385.jpg6351382.jpg

That said, the new Super Mario Peach Castle roof half cone actually does look quite amazing due to it's 3d texturing, could be integrated into a textured tower for sure (the rest of the peach castle isn't really a good example as it's a playset with open towers)

71408-1.jpg?202111160405

Edited by TeriXeri

Traditional castle panels wouldn’t hurt my feelings, but I’m not expecting much if any in this set. I keep thinking back to the Kingdoms Joust. Any time TLG goes for the gold on a large, impressive set, big panel pieces are the first thing to go. I’m ok with it. It does allow for more detail. 

5 hours ago, Black Monarch 88 said:

I’m confident that Lego has made as much from Black Falcon pick a brick sales as it has from all the blacksmith shops. 

Yep. I have torsos that I flipped to have a plain blue French crossbowman (quivers cover most of the falcon crest), and with an armor over top they look good as well, with the metallic arms and leg detail complementing it well. Got some extra legs to add to KTown blue torsos with brigandine… need to build a big 100-years war MOC now haha

I think I'm in the minority, but I actually love panels and BURPs, even as they were exposed in the '90s. I love big pieces that let you build the monotonous stuff quickly, like Fort Legoredo. Would it have been fun to build all the walls out of 2x4 and 2x2 log bricks? Not really. The panels even look better because there are fewer cracks.

I downsized my collection a few years ago, and I just kept my favorite sets sorted by theme. Now my 6 year old son and I pull out a tub when we want to build, and we make forts and castles in about 30 minutes using the panels, and we probably spend more than half our time adding the fun details. This is what I miss about the older Lego sets. I think the sets with lots of smaller pieces probably appeal to more artistic people than me.

When I build, I like to make things up as I'm adding the minifigures and stuff. Not stories so much, but situations. The pirates are attacking the blue coats, the monkey is stealing the gold, etc. I get a lot more enjoyment from that type of stuff than I do from making structures with extra fine details. When I was a kid, that's largely the kind of stuff I paid attention to in the magazines. So I hope the anniversary set is more of a quick build. I'm also really excited about the prospect of the forestmen returning. The troubadour was the best minifigure they've made in years IMO, and I hope it pairs well with the new set.

8 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Why is it called and what is BURP??

Big Ugly Rock Piece. The large, single piece rock type things you sometimes get. Good way of building up a base without needing lots of pieces or support.

9 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Why is it called and what is BURP??

Big Ugly Rock Piece.

Afol's like silly acronyms, hence SNOT

Just now, Agent Kallus said:

Big Ugly Rock Piece.

Ha! We both got ninja'd.

There's also LURPs (Small Ugly Rock Pieces).

I prefer them over moulded baseplates, as they're much more versatile.

47 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

Big Ugly Rock Piece. The large, single piece rock type things you sometimes get. Good way of building up a base without needing lots of pieces or support.

47 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

Big Ugly Rock Piece.

LOL! Now I get it! I like that BURP idea!

Thanks guys!

I’ve seen a couple references to this being a 3 in 1 creator set.  If so, maybe we won’t get a castle/joust/village all in one build.  Maybe one build is the castle, one a joust, and the other a village scene?

Really hoping for pictures soon…

14 minutes ago, BTappel said:

I’ve seen a couple references to this being a 3 in 1 creator set.  If so, maybe we won’t get a castle/joust/village all in one build.  Maybe one build is the castle, one a joust, and the other a village scene?

Really hoping for pictures soon…

I sure hope it’s not a 3-in-1 set… Where did that reference come from?

Tbh I wouldn't mind a 3-in-1 type of build, at least a Castle that can be build in multiple ways (not saying 3 ways, but modular walls are nice), however, it should include regular animals in this case, which 3-in-1 typically do not.

However, it's probably a confusion on a listing as 18+ type of sets are still sometimes listed under Creator / Creator Expert type of categories.

Edited by TeriXeri

I don't view that as reliable either. Assuming this set does fall under the Creator banner, none of the larger sets (2000pc+) are 3-in-1. I myself am not an expert on these as a theme, but a quick look through Bricklink showed none.

If anything it would be more a creator expert which does not do 3in1.  I think it will be more along the lines of the expert level like the modulars.  

TBH if it is a 3-in-1 set, with the same part selection that goes into those sets...  I will flip some tables and openly rebel against TLG!  That would likely send me into a dark age.  9 years with no castle theme has been enough for me...  My patience has worn thin and I need some new actual castle parts.  All of the licensed sets have really really turned me off.  No more imagination necessary.  Lets just copy licensed content from other companies or steal IDEAs from our fans.  

It breaks my heart when kids at LEGO shows see my castle display, and all of the minifigs, and then ask me where they can get castle sets/figs.  All I can say is write to TLG and express your desires because the last castle set came out before they were born.  

I am a LEGO castle fan.  All of my purchases including non-castle purchases are geared towards MOCing castle scenes.  While I am impressed by the non licensed sets TLG releases, it just is not where my interests are and they are few and far between. 

Haha looks like I just poked a hornets nest! Apologies everyone I was just curious if there was any basis for seeing it listed as a 3 in 1.  I agree it is unlikely due to the piece count, and undesirable if it means no new castle parts or animals in the set.

I don’t see this large set as a 3-in-1 set. I think it’s absurd - I mean, does it takes a long time to design a large 3-in-1 set after the poll resul last year? I’m sure a large 3-in-1 set could drive designer insane. 

i prefer this large castle under “Creator Expert” category…