1 minute ago, Maple said:

Well stop! :pir_tong2:
I'm expecting a 4,500 piece set with 30 minifigures and 3 horses and 8 goats.

Also Mos Eisley Cantina was designed and went to market in 9 months. Not everything is quick.

Well that's awesome :classic:.  I hope that comes true we can all dream right?  I'm just really curious what lion design will be.  Will it be an old school look or a completely new style.  

The last LEGO spin on a Castle theme was nexo.

If you translate the roles to a regular Castle theme without the sci-fi/tech, it did fill some basic roles like king, queen, jester, 5 different types of knights (one being princess) , a smith , a cook, a wizard and a wizard apprentice, and squires, and a lot of unnamed castle/king's guard.

Gives about a basic idea what a really big set could have & more.

Edited by TeriXeri

5 hours ago, Maple said:

I'm expecting a 4,500 piece set with 30 minifigures and 3 horses and 8 goats.

It could happen :laugh:

There are basically 4 things that use of the budget:

1. Parts
  2. Minifigs
  3. Animals
  4. New moulds, prints, recolors etc

If we get more of one group, we get less of one or several of the other ones. I am really existed to see what they have used the budget on in this set :excited:

9 hours ago, zoth33 said:

I think its going to be a mix of a bunch of previous lego themes.  

I think so too. I would be very surprised if there were more than three Castle minifigures in S23, and not surprised - though disappointed - if there were only one.

10 hours ago, zoth33 said:

I think its going to be a mix of a bunch of previous lego themes.  

Yeah, that’s why I said “I don’t feel that wa it will be Castle-themed…but I would be pleasantly suprised if there are more than two castle-themed minifigures. It would be neat to populate King Leo’s Castle with a few CMF minifigures.

6 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Yeah, that’s why I said “I don’t feel that wa it will be Castle-themed…but I would be pleasantly suprised if there are more than two castle-themed minifigures. It would be neat to populate King Leo’s Castle with a few CMF minifigures.

Yeah I definitely think there will be at least one castle fig in the series.  It would be nice to get a civilian but I would take an army builder type fig also.  

12 hours ago, AmperZand said:

I think so too. I would be very surprised if there were more than three Castle minifigures in S23, and not surprised - though disappointed - if there were only one.

I'm hoping for that as well! Maybe a forestman and a black knight? A dragon master would be appreciated as well! Personally I believe each of the 4 winning themes will receive a gold minifigure in the series! Maybe a gold captain redbeard, gold classic spaceman, gold minifigure scaled bionicle figure, and maybe a gold knight belonging to a certain faction?

11 hours ago, azog said:

I'm hoping for that as well! Maybe a forestman and a black knight? A dragon master would be appreciated as well! Personally I believe each of the 4 winning themes will receive a gold minifigure in the series! Maybe a gold captain redbeard, gold classic spaceman, gold minifigure scaled bionicle figure, and maybe a gold knight belonging to a certain faction?

Oof. I wouldn't want them all to be gold, makes them a lot less useful.

I have been sort of following this thread, but resisted posting until now because I didn't want to come across too wishlist-y. However, it finagled itself into my dream last night so I think it may be a sign to get the thoughts out. 

Firstly, I think horses are virtually a certainty, but as well as normal saddles I think the following may have horse connections:

A cart (carrying hay or supplies for example, perhaps with a hidden compartment for a figure). 

A carriage (either for the king and queen or prisoners) . 

A siege tower. 

A catapult. 

A battering ram. 

I think all of the above featured in the original 80s sets, except the covered cart was a Western set I think. 

I'd also suggest two horse bardings for a joust area.

A boat would also be very cool, but not really necessary. 

Inside the castle, as well as the usual bedroom(s), kitchen, throne room, etc, a stables, armoury and Barracks would be very cool, perhaps a tower for a wizard too if included. 

A remake of Guarded Inn within the castle itself would be perfection. 

In terms of minifigures I think there will be a number of Crusader and Black Falcon soldiers as well as a leader for the BF. One Forest an will be included as a prisoner as well as multiple skeletons. Several nobles and royals as well as a jester, cook and perhaps a wizard will complete the castle line up and the rest will be peasants. 

Animals will probably be several horses, a few duller things like rats and frogs, but I have high hopes for a few farm animals and of course goats :D

1 hour ago, Seaber said:

I have been sort of following this thread, but resisted posting until now because I didn't want to come across too wishlist-y. However, it finagled itself into my dream last night so I think it may be a sign to get the thoughts out. 

Firstly, I think horses are virtually a certainty, but as well as normal saddles I think the following may have horse connections:

A cart (carrying hay or supplies for example, perhaps with a hidden compartment for a figure). 

A siege tower. 

A catapult. 

A battering ram. 

I think all of the above featured in the original 80s sets, except the covered cart was a Western set I think. 

Inside the castle, as well as the usual bedroom(s), kitchen, throne room, etc, a stables, armoury and Barracks would be very cool, perhaps a tower for a wizard too if included. 

In terms of minifigures I think there will be a number of Crusader and Black Falcon soldiers as well as a leader for the BF. One Forest an will be included as a prisoner as well as multiple skeletons. Several nobles and royals as well as a jester, cook and perhaps a wizard will complete the castle line up and the rest will be peasants. 

Animals will probably be several horses, a few duller things like rats and frogs, but I have high hopes for a few farm animals and of course goats :D

I hope they stay away from including things like siege towers, catapults and battering rams. Instead of making a set with conflict between two fractions I much rather have a set in "peace"; the lion knights with their castle and knights from other fractions visiting, jousting etc as a mean to include them and then a lot of civilian figs. Especially a lot of female figs as other have mention, they are really rare in older Castle sets so would be useful to get :classic:
A cart could be pulled by cows as well so I hope for that, it is a first time for everything :wink:
Horse bardings would be nice to see yes, there where some in 2013 so unless the mold is destroyed (why destroy moulds in the first place, save them you never know when they become usefull again) :sweet:

2 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Horse bardings would be nice to see yes, there where some in 2013 so unless the mold is destroyed (why destroy moulds in the first place, save them you never know when they become usefull again) :sweet:

Does Lego have any precedent for destroying moulds? The only moulds I can remember reading anything specific on regarding their retirement - stuff like the OG monkey, goat, etc. - weren't actively destroyed, but rather had worn out through years of use, or had been in storage for so long they became unusable.

3 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

Does Lego have any precedent for destroying moulds? The only moulds I can remember reading anything specific on regarding their retirement - stuff like the OG monkey, goat, etc. - weren't actively destroyed, but rather had worn out through years of use, or had been in storage for so long they became unusable.

Tsk. He was just being dramatic - let him have that ;)

Remind me - has horse armour or whatever existed for the modern horse mould?

3 minutes ago, williejm said:

When did the mould change? I know I have some armour kicking about from the Kingdoms era but that might still have been the old horses.

Anyway, for all we know TLG has a Survivor contest in their head office every year - taking old moulds and pitting them against one another in the arena! Losers get melted down for scrap...

On the subject of moulds, this is probably going to be a very controversial view, but I would love to see the original wall-panels return (and maybe a cheeky raised baseplate?)

3 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

When did the mould change? I know I have some armour kicking about from the Kingdoms era but that might still have been the old horses.

Anyway, for all we know TLG has a Survivor contest in their head office every year - taking old moulds and pitting them against one another in the arena! Losers get melted down for scrap...

On the subject of moulds, this is probably going to be a very controversial view, but I would love to see the original wall-panels return (and maybe a cheeky raised baseplate?)

The modern horses were introduced for Lord of the Rings in 2012, and armor/barding for them were introduced in the 2013 Castle theme (so post-Kingdoms). I don't believe either the head armor or barding were used after that theme, though. That said, because they were so rarely used they are unlikely to have been damaged through use (if any damage was done to them it would have had to have been from other factors like being damaged when put into storage).

It would be nice to see the horse armor/barding return, but of course it would be far easier to simply include unarmored horses with the still-in-use saddle, so I wouldn't consider it a given for those parts to return.

29 minutes ago, williejm said:

The only barding I have fits on a modern horse mould but, obviously, prevents hind leg movement.
I noticed that this particular barding is from 2012 which, as far as I know, is also the year when the new horse mould showed up - but they did not come in the same sets. 

51942098368_8cabdd52a6_n.jpg

Edit :  @Lyichir was quicker and more accurate than me! :sweet: I'm wondering whether there are structural differences between the "older" barding mould (2490) and the "newer" one (13744) ? I mean, other than the shape of the trim (what is even the name of that kind of decor in english)?

Edited by Aurore

I mean, I’d rather have the ability to articulate the horse than the barding, I guess. 

24 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

And as we know the goat was evidently one of the first casualties - being such a wussy mould 

4 minutes ago, williejm said:

And as we know the goat was evidently one of the first casualties - being such a wussy mould 

Unfortunately my all-time favourite piece lost its fight years earlier than the goat. Too soft for the fight, I hear... :pir-wench:

32 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

Unfortunately my all-time favourite piece lost its fight years earlier than the goat. Too soft for the fight, I hear... :pir-wench:

I don’t even know her. 

On 3/15/2022 at 3:25 AM, Roebuck said:

It could happen :laugh:

There are basically 4 things that use of the budget:

1. Parts
  2. Minifigs
  3. Animals
  4.  New moulds, prints, recolors etc

If we get more of one group, we get less of one or several of the other ones. I am really existed to see what they have used the budget on in this set :excited:

If that's the list, I want 80% parts, 13% minifigs and 7% animals. 

So that's 6000 pieces, 8 minifigures, 4 animals (horses/goats only). I'm happy with that, got plenty of castle minifigures from the past.

Rather that than 4000 pieces, 25 minifigures, 8 animals.

Edited by morvit

1 hour ago, Aurore said:

I'm wondering whether there are structural differences between the "older" barding mould (2490) and the "newer" one (13744) ? I mean, other than the shape of the trim (what is even the name of that kind of decor in english)?

I pulled some off of the shelf (please excuse the dust) and it looks like the 2013 barding is slightly shorter and has lost the horn or point on the pommel.

HG5l4CT.jpg

KEJ2ByQ.jpg

When I was putting everything back together I discovered that you can put the LOTR wargs can wear the new barding backwards. :pir_laugh2:

XHBBTbj.jpg

Original Riders

pZ9F56b.jpg

Edited by CallMeCarbiz

I never got any of those horse armors (beside some of those red horse helmets from the 90s, but wasn't collecting LEGO in the 2000s until 2016) so would be nice to get at least one Barding in a big set like this.

Edited by TeriXeri

The only thing about the armor is that the old school helmets don’t fit the new horse heads, 

the more

i think

about this castle and it’s possibility, I’m curious, going back to kingdoms, the kingdoms joust set with a castle, throw in every set that came out like the tower lookouts, and a village raid you get 350$, that’s a lot of possibility and bricks considering how perfect kingdoms joust was at the time! 

6 hours ago, Aurore said:

I mean, other than the shape of the trim (what is even the name of that kind of decor in english)?

If you mean the edging, it’s scalloped, but there are many variations that fit in that category.

@CallMeCarbiz, Cool pictures. Thanks for sharing. I didn’t know that any caparisons fit the wargs. :thumbup:

5 hours ago, morvit said:

If that's the list, I want 80% parts, 13% minifigs and 7% animals. 

So that's 6000 pieces, 8 minifigures, 4 animals (horses/goats only). I'm happy with that, got plenty of castle minifigures from the past.

Rather that than 4000 pieces, 25 minifigures, 8 animals.

Depends on the variety of the figs. If its samey looking knights then I dont want 25 of them either

Edited by Poco Lypso

Yeah the problem with the bardings is that they don't allow the newer horse to move.

2 hours ago, Poco Lypso said:

Depends on the variety of the figs. If its samey looking knights then I dont want 25 of them either

They wouldn't have 25 of the same fig.  It would be varied like a king, queen, knights of different kinds, maybe a jester, bard, or blacksmith and hopefully some civilian figs.  

13 hours ago, Seaber said:

A siege tower. 

A catapult. 

A battering ram. 

I don't think this will have a lot of black falcon knights maybe one or maybe none at all.  We just had some in Blacksmith shop and the 3in1 castle.