I'm a huge fan of the olive green from 42110 and I've been thinking of how to best use the olive green elements from that set. My initial goal was to design a model with working V6, 4-speed sequential gearbox, and AWD. The project has evolved to include part time AWD, central and rear diff locks and an implementation of Toyota's Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System, which modulates anti-roll bar stiffness. I'm working on the second version now.

New Update 01/08/2023:

My 4Runner model is coming together and approaching complete. Most changes so far are aesthetic, and I have re-designed parts of the body and filled in major gaps. I still need to add seats, steering, gear controls, mirrors, and a rood rack though. I also want to try making this model with alternate colors eventually, and to paint the dark green pieces olive to complete the look. The final model will have a 4 or 5-speed gearbox, fake engine, part-time 4WD, center differential lock, and rear differential lock. I'm also planning to make an RC version with a different gearbox:

IMG_8493

Brand new front end and headlights

IMG_8494

I've worked hard on filling gaps

IMG_8482

head-on

IMG_8483

IMG_8484

NewUpdate 2/19/23:

I've been spending a lot of time re-designing my 4Runner moc from the ground up. Work/school has kept me really busy but I've been able to make some progress here and there.

23_02_19_4runner_profile

My version 2 of the 4Runner has a number of improvements compared to the first version. Overall it is a much more sturdy and functional model compared to the previous design. Playability is way better and the roof feels very sturdy:

23_02_19_4runner_grab

New suspension is much much better than before. I plan to add pneumatics to front and read for shock absorption in addition to the coilovers that are already present:

23_02_19_4runner_frontwheel

I'm  lot lot happier with the rear axle now. I've finally made a rear axle that has 4 links in a way that I like. I will add the 5th link/panhard rod later. I still haven't found a way to add in the rear diff lock while also creating an axle that is satisfyingly durable with all 5 links. That is a major to-do right now...

23_02_19_4runner_rearwheel

As a result of the new setup, suspension travel is much greater and satisfyingly responsive:

23_02_19_4runner_travelrear23_02_19_4runner_travelfront

The interior Is much more roomy/spacious now too. I will add seats at the end when I'm satisfied with all of the functions:

23_02_19_4runner_rear223_02_19_4runner_doorsside

Finally, I've looked at a lot of other builders including Kevin Moo for inspiration when designing non-right angles. I've used a lot of triangles here to get a design that is compact and strong at the same time:

23_02_19_4runner_trunk

The new chassis has vastly improved rigidity and implements the 4-speed gearbox with a much smaller footprint: 

Top:

795F9EE3-F25B-4FC8-934C-2566F41BCEAE

Side:

1A79AA4A-8A67-4ABC-8647-367CFE1E901C

Here is a shot of the first version model: 

IMG-3705

The Chassis was originally inspired by filsawgood's Toyota JS as I used it as a test mule for the live axle design: https://filsawgoodltc.blogspot.com/p/lego-suzuki-jimny-sierra-building.html, but it has since evolved 

Edited by damian_kane_iv
Progress update

Nice choice of a vehicle to model! The 4Runners are pretty neat cars, I think, but have been underrepresented in Technic so far, with the only model of one I'm aware of being a super tiny one I built a few years back. I suppose that's because the majority of Technic builders are European, and the 4Runner is only sold in North America?

One suggestion I might make is to not include a center differential. I'm not sure what your plan is, since you said that the one you have in there is a placeholder, but including one will seriously hurt off-road performance, and be unrealistic for most 4Runner trims (I believe the Limited trim has one, allowing for full-time 4WD, but the cooler ones like the TRD PRO have selectable 4WD without a central diff, I believe). The idea for that CVT is interesting! It's a very cool design, and is quite possibly the best-performing automatic transmission anyone has ever built with Lego, so I think it'd be cool to see. It's not realistic for a 4Runner, but realism isn't everything.

Anyways, I'll look forward to seeing the finished product!

13 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Nice choice of a vehicle to model! The 4Runners are pretty neat cars, I think, but have been underrepresented in Technic so far, with the only model of one I'm aware of being a super tiny one I built a few years back. I suppose that's because the majority of Technic builders are European, and the 4Runner is only sold in North America?

One suggestion I might make is to not include a center differential. I'm not sure what your plan is, since you said that the one you have in there is a placeholder, but including one will seriously hurt off-road performance, and be unrealistic for most 4Runner trims (I believe the Limited trim has one, allowing for full-time 4WD, but the cooler ones like the TRD PRO have selectable 4WD without a central diff, I believe). The idea for that CVT is interesting! It's a very cool design, and is quite possibly the best-performing automatic transmission anyone has ever built with Lego, so I think it'd be cool to see. It's not realistic for a 4Runner, but realism isn't everything.

Anyways, I'll look forward to seeing the finished product!

I'll have to look into the TRD Pro specs then. I was considering following them more closely, but I was initially put off since a lot of those features would require some re-engineering of the rear axle. And yeah I was considering finding or making a 4- or 5-speed gearbox design like the real thing, but the CVT seemed so much more interesting/different and had a nice range of ratios. Nothing's set in stone yet, but thanks for the suggestions! 

8 hours ago, rm8 said:

Interesting fact: 42110 LR wheels are the same design as real Toyota 4Runner Limited edition wheels

There's a lot of 4Runners in my neighborhood with that wheel option and that's part of what inspired me to use Defender parts to build a 4Runner

Edited by Milan
Do not quote images from the same page, please. Converted to link.

Really nice that everything seems to fit :thumbup:

Are you planning to use olive green? These fenders are also available in white ;-)

2 hours ago, Jundis said:

Really nice that everything seems to fit :thumbup:

Are you planning to use olive green? These fenders are also available in white ;-)

For the moment I sticking to olive green, but anything can be changed once the core design is finished 

This would look great in white! 

I really like the idea of a 4 Runner with this setup, but I hope you would consider redesigning the axles for better ground clearance. It is possible to achieve far better clearance for the rear diff by angling the A-arms down like you would on a independent setup, and locking them in place.

Otherwise this seems like a good start. 

_ED_

Update on the MOC:

prog3_16_2

I've started on implementing gearbox details into the 4Runner. For now, I'm going with a 4-speed AWD design by Crowkillers with a center diff. I might delve into trying to replicate a TRD-Pro later but I want to finish the MOC ASAP by sticking with a simpler setup. One thing that would be really cool is using LEGO pneumatics to replicate Pro's KDSS, but I don't have any at the moment. 

prog3_16_1

Right now it has a V6 and a 4-speed gearbox and I want to implement a DNR shifter as well. 

prog3_16_3

I'm liking how the doors are turning out but theres definitely room for improvement.

prog3_16_4

Finally, I've overhauled the chassis and added a bed/trunk space, but it's pretty constrained due to wheel width. 

More updates: I've slowed down on progress a bit because I'm in school and work has picked up a bit. Still, I've made progress on getting a rough-draft body together. I want to get a general idea of how it will look. Then, I will take it apart and re-work the chassis and frame with the goal of incorporating suggestions on the drivetrain and transmission. I'm still thinking of how I can implement more robust off-road features like diff locks and on/off 4WD, but I'm satisfied with things for the time being while I get a 1st draft of the whole thing. 

I've been trying out a few different setups for the front grille but it's still a WIP, so any suggestions on how I can achieve a 4runner look with olive and black pieces is welcome (maybe lack of parts in olive will drive me to eventually adopt white or yellow). I really like the center and can't wait to see how it will look when I add in system pieces.

3_20_prog2

03_27_8

3_20_prog4

Here are a few pics of  an alternate front grille idea.

03_27_1

03_27_3

Side profile is starting to look like an SUV and I'm liking the look with gold wheels, but I don't like the tires so much..

03_27_4

03_27_5

Another major sticking point with using olive only is a lack of pieces with nice curves. I'm feel like I'm getting close to an acceptable hood design. Let's just say this hood is aftermarket and made out of carbon fiber for now.. 

03_27_7

And I've managed to maintain a good amount of interior space for seats and consoles eventually. 

IMG-3705

I've been pretty busy with school/work but I managed to make some progress on the exterior. I plan to strip this model down and re-work everything from the ground up as well. I want to eventually add a rear diff lock and optional 4-wheel drive eventually while I re-work it.

IMG-3706

IMG-3707

The front looks off from this angle, but I plan to smooth out angles and improve the hood.

IMG-3708

I like the rear but there are parts that can improve.

Finally, here is a mockup of a rear diff-lock axle that I could implement in this model:

IMG-3709

Edited by damian_kane_iv

I'm happy to see some progress!

That's an unusual differential lock you've got there! I've never seen those Bohrok eyes used to shift driving rings before, and it's not common to see both sides of the differential have their own driving ring. Really you'd just need one side to have the driving ring, and just lock its axle to a fixed gear on the other side, but your design does look a bit more efficient when unlocked, because the locking shaft would be undriven.

On 5/18/2022 at 8:57 AM, 2GodBDGlory said:

I'm happy to see some progress!

That's an unusual differential lock you've got there! I've never seen those Bohrok eyes used to shift driving rings before, and it's not common to see both sides of the differential have their own driving ring. Really you'd just need one side to have the driving ring, and just lock its axle to a fixed gear on the other side, but your design does look a bit more efficient when unlocked, because the locking shaft would be undriven.

Thanks, I was thinking about doing a more traditional setup for the diff lock but I decided to try this dual setup for exactly that reason as there were still torque differences even when the diff lock was open. The Bohrok eyes allowed me to use the most of the space and are surprisingly sturdy when it comes to holding the diff locks in position

New updates on my MOC: I was able to more or less finish the 4runner before taking it apart to improve it top to bottom. I am curently working on a completely new chassis that includes a gearbox with 4 speed sequential shifting, central diff lock, rwd only setting, rear diff lock, and improved suspension with more travel. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/195160890@N03/52541306572/in/dateposted-public/

The gearbox is now fully integrated into the chassis and is much more compact.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/195160890@N03/52541769066/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/195160890@N03/52542246390/in/dateposted-public/

I have also put a lot more work into creating a much more rigid chassis overall with slightly more modularity (still not completely modular).

Finally, Ive gotten more parts to create bodywork that has fewer gaps and looks smoother.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/195160890@N03/52541769171/in/dateposted-public/

I also recenlty bought a lot of pneumatics parts and I plan to add pneumatic shocks to front and rear suspensions. I will implement the KDSS system once the small pneumatic cylinder becomes available on bricks and pieces. Finally, I'm going to get some 9.5L hard spring shock absorbers for the front and rear for better travel overall.

Let me know how it looks now and where I can improve

Edited by damian_kane_iv

That’s a great MOC idea!  I owned a 2nd gen 4Runner, and I currently drive a 3rd gen.  I’ve been thinking about buying a newer vehicle, and it will probably be a 5th gen 4Runner or Tundra.  

The KDSS was never offered on the TRD Pro.  It was an option on the TRD Offroad.  

Cool project, and I like the Olive Green color.  It reminds me a bit of the Lime Rush color that is an option on 2022+ 4Runners.

15 hours ago, dhc6twinotter said:

That’s a great MOC idea!  I owned a 2nd gen 4Runner, and I currently drive a 3rd gen.  I’ve been thinking about buying a newer vehicle, and it will probably be a 5th gen 4Runner or Tundra.  

The KDSS was never offered on the TRD Pro.  It was an option on the TRD Offroad.  

Cool project, and I like the Olive Green color.  It reminds me a bit of the Lime Rush color that is an option on 2022+ 4Runners.

@dhc6twinotter3-rd gen is awesome. Drove it too with cool multimode transmission. The only problem - is a low seat and ceiling) Thinking of 5th gen LEGO build too.

@damian_kane_iv do you drive 4runner or it's a projectiong you dream to bricks? As for the MOC - overall look is 100% recognizable as 4Runner. But, why do you use Green? Using other color make it easier to fine tune all small body curves and details..?

I think wheelbase is little bit tool long.

As for rear diff lock, why don't you leave only one locking red ring instead two?

Looks great! I Would personally try and mount that spare tire somehow to the back hatch like they do with those tire swingouts. You nailed the headlight angles though!

On 12/5/2022 at 4:56 AM, rm8 said:

@dhc6twinotter3-rd gen is awesome. Drove it too with cool multimode transmission. The only problem - is a low seat and ceiling) Thinking of 5th gen LEGO build too.

@damian_kane_iv do you drive 4runner or it's a projectiong you dream to bricks? As for the MOC - overall look is 100% recognizable as 4Runner. But, why do you use Green? Using other color make it easier to fine tune all small body curves and details..?

I think wheelbase is little bit tool long.

As for rear diff lock, why don't you leave only one locking red ring instead two?

lol It's more of a dream at the moment. I'm in a PhD program so there's no money for a 4runner but a TRD off road or pro would be nice to have... my brother has an older 5th gen. I really really wanted to use the olive green because I thought it was a fantastic LEGO color when I saw it on the Defender set and I'd been brainstorming MOC ideas to use all the spare olive pieces I bought. I'm also a big fan of the large fender pieces from the Defender and wanted to put them to good use! That being said, I see no reason why I couldn't make this MOC in a different color with fender substitutes. I agree that a different color like white, orange, or even lime would make my life much much easier but I appreciate the challenge of getting the bodywork right with the restrictions. Considering getting bricks in olive to smooth out the edges when the time comes.

Yes, Wheelbase is ~1-2 studs too long. I scaled the model according to those fender pieces and this is a problem I'm brainstorming solutions to. The new gearbox took up a little more space than I bargained for, so I need to modify the housing.  

Rear diff lock has 2 locking rings because I'm a fan of symmetry and I wanted to keep torque as equal as possible between the 2 rear wheels when unlocked. That being said... the rear axle is too flimsy with this setup so I might just replace it with a pneumatic system and one driving ring so I can beef up the axle.  

You can cut wheel arch in 2 pieces) Both pieces can be fixed thanks to 4 pin holes. 

I thought about it when thinking of 5d defender mod)

On 12/7/2022 at 4:44 AM, rm8 said:

You can cut wheel arch in 2 pieces) Both pieces can be fixed thanks to 4 pin holes. 

I thought about it when thinking of 5d defender mod)

Yeah I was considering this too when I first started working on this moc. That would definitely make the build much more accurate. That being said, my shop skills aren't good enough to give me the courage to try that out haha ... And I really like these fender pieces so I'm thinking of preserving them for any future mocs I might design. 

4/2/23 Update:

108FBEAA-4331-4074-8372-3EE2256CE4A1

Ive started to patch up gaps in the bodywork and I have a new grill design. Colors are mismarched while I wait for new parts to come in.

2BAFC35F-BD23-46A3-A0B7-B2BE4F1E508A

05146AFD-CA6B-4A1D-810C-F8331E82CC55

Im very satisfied with the new suspension. There are coilover/spring parts as well as a parallel hydraulic system.

AC16BA6D-56E8-4F26-92BC-EE5100F14B61DF6F8D5E-0682-4C92-AB59-2D5D11083906

I finished my rear axle too. It has all five links, I like the design a lot. Only thi g left to do is find a design that can accomadate  diff lock.

Finally Ive implemented rudimentary motorization. I dont have plnetary hubs yet so its not a strong crawler but the next thing on my todo list is to re-work the gearbox for RC and improve the torque and power with new hubs and more motors:

4AEF2623-4D95-4250-92B5-740F0896E940

8B83EDFE-24DA-4820-82D2-2B8ABA66F87F

Newest photos of bodywork are in. I'm happy with how it looks and all I need to do is add mirrors, lights, fill in gaps, and do and the interior.

Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 7.55.49 PM

Chassis looks much cleaner now and I've reinforced it.

Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 7.56.05 PM

I've found a nice balance with the angled panels that replicates the front grill really well. I think it should be finished after a little more tweaking. I don't like the front windscreen yet, I'll probably lower it by a stud and put a lightbar over it:

Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 7.51.45 PM

Rear is also ready. But I'm considering extending the rear bumper out by a stud:

Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 7.51.57 PM

More angles of the front:

IMG_6930

IMG_6929

On a side note, the body and chassis is almost completely modular. I can remove most of it by pulling out a few pins here and there. I'll but together an update when I'm 100% done, but I'm really happy with the chassis design. I think I'll be able to re-use it for other models with alternative gearboxes and powertrain setups in the future. 

23 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

That's definitely improving; nice job! I like the headlights

Thanks, I was having trouble getting the front to look like a real 5th generation 4Runner for a while but I think I have it now.

Half of the chenge was finding solutions that worked with the given selection of olive pieces.