Reker1000000

Lego 12v Layout #4

I have just uploaded to YT a new video featuring an even bigger 12v train layout, check it out! I'm proud to showcase the rare 7750 again alongside the 7730 and 7745, plus an engine I like to call the "poor man's 7760" since its structure is nearly identical to that of the 7760 Diesel Shunter except it doesn't have the expensive blue weights and 1x3x2 windows because I built it from a 7865 + spare parts. I've also gotten more points and even a 7862 since my last layout video.

Those of you who have watched my videos before will know that I have 3 other videos about different layouts posted as well, which are also worth viewing.

The 12V era at its very best.

Not only "just" (it is doing it for me) showing the vintage stuff - no - this is so much more about having fun - real fun - with navigating "everything". Real 12V switches. This is so nice to see ... and one needs to feel the track/connections/logic behind it to make it all work. Not automated - no, under full control of the operator.

Thank you very much for sharing!!! This is the "entire" 12V world - from beautiful, 6-wide, classical trains, to the art of orchestrating the flow of the electrical juice ... the array of switches almost looks like a piano keyboard. You are not displaying the array of switches, you are playing them, lights, points ...

And the manual dial is the "let's go fast and furious" knob - and at the same time the one to carefully shunt delicate cargo ...

Yes. THIS is 12V.

All the best,
Thorsten

The video is well filmed and the trains run well so it does not show the difficulty of running more than one train on the 12V track. The 12V tack is always live unlike with the 9V track where changing the points turns the current on or off. The two signals are used effectively, as one train leaves a passing place the other takes it place. Two sets of signals are definitely needed. It shows the complexity of the wiring with wires all over the place. It was a very clever system. It is a pity that after 30 years the only 'improvement' LEGO have come up is battery operation to give control to an individual train but no remote control level crossing, points or uncoupling.     

I can only echo what's been said above - this "simple" layout is an excellent demonstration of just what can be achieved with the system, and how much more involved and enjoyable it can be to operate - a full bank of switches and an intricate control procedure is far more exciting than a single remote controller or even a smartphone.

Finally I'd like to add that the video itself is also produced excellently - it was a pleasure to watch, so good I went back and watched it again. Great work!

Thank you all so much for the kind words! It means a lot to me that people are enjoying the content. More specific responses:

12 hours ago, Toastie said:

Not only "just" (it is doing it for me) showing the vintage stuff - no - this is so much more about having fun - real fun - with navigating "everything". Real 12V switches. This is so nice to see ... and one needs to feel the track/connections/logic behind it to make it all work. Not automated - no, under full control of the operator.

Thank you very much for sharing!!! This is the "entire" 12V world - from beautiful, 6-wide, classical trains, to the art of orchestrating the flow of the electrical juice ... the array of switches almost looks like a piano keyboard. You are not displaying the array of switches, you are playing them, lights, points ...

Yes! This is why I started purchasing 12v trains over a year ago- everything is so different from the trains now and even the 9v era, the electric accessory sets are like nothing else ever produced. And it's amazing to be able to operate the entire layout from the control panel!

11 hours ago, Andy Glascott said:

Everything what @Toastie just said!

Thank you sir!

3 hours ago, Dav1d said:

The video is well filmed and the trains run well so it does not show the difficulty of running more than one train on the 12V track. The 12V tack is always live unlike with the 9V track where changing the points turns the current on or off. The two signals are used effectively, as one train leaves a passing place the other takes it place. Two sets of signals are definitely needed. It shows the complexity of the wiring with wires all over the place. It was a very clever system. It is a pity that after 30 years the only 'improvement' LEGO have come up is battery operation to give control to an individual train but no remote control level crossing, points or uncoupling.

Thank you! I typically create a "plan"/plot for my layout videos where the path of the trains is clear to follow- in this case, the 7730 did 2 loops before switching with the 7750/7820 on the passing line which did 2 loops as well, then I switched the "7760" for the 7730 loc off-camera and that train decoupled its wagons for the 7750 to pick up, then it switched the wagons back to the "7760". Last, the "7760" swaps places with the 7745 and the video closes with the 7745 doing 1.5 loops. I always think about the layout plans before I build it to make sure I'm using all of the points and signals effectively (although this layout might benefit from one additional signal). The 3 electric points I got recently were a godsend for creating the extra passing line and decoupler siding.

2 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

I can only echo what's been said above - this "simple" layout is an excellent demonstration of just what can be achieved with the system, and how much more involved and enjoyable it can be to operate - a full bank of switches and an intricate control procedure is far more exciting than a single remote controller or even a smartphone.

Finally I'd like to add that the video itself is also produced excellently - it was a pleasure to watch, so good I went back and watched it again. Great work!

Indeed! Even with the limited space I had available, the full range of remote-control accessories is showcased and used effectively. Thank you for your comment about the editing! I try to make sure everything is smooth, I end up cutting the clips because there's always overlap.

Love it - not had the space or time to set up my 12v for a few years, so am living vicariously through your videos! :)