MBricks

[MOC] Minifig Scale RZ-1 A-Wing

51920312377_f12f54d7a2.jpgRZ-1_V3

As the A-Wing is supposed to a tiny ship, I wanted to build one was more or less proper minifig scale, resulting in this MOC. 

51921609449_d9c44c5513.jpgA-Wing New

I wanted to keep it around the same size as the original 7134 set, but it is actually around two studs shorter. 

51922023260_1d5b9aca10.jpgIMG_7238

In physical bricks, it's much sturdier than expected.

51920458652_f90a97af14.jpgRZ-1_V3_5 (2)

6 hours ago, Guyinaplaguemask said:

Looks cool, although some of the proportions are slightly exaggerated, making it feel almost as a chibi A-wing. Still, very nice.

Thanks, proportions were limited by the cockpit piece. 

There is a more bubble shaped piece with a bar for opening, this could be used in conjunction with a wheel arch to provide a smaller windscreen, but it may be too small.

Yeah this is the problem with the A-wing. Your one is about the right size... and uses smallest cockpit piece available, which is way too big.

I've seen one made with Technic Ducati motorbike windshield piece instead and it was a bit more proportional, but I am sure it is far more difficult to incorporate. 

All in all, it has a Chibi feel to it but in a good way!

Too small. Scaling an A-wing to minifig height will always compromise the look of a build. Starfighters should usually be scaled to minifig width but even then the A-wing is a difficult build given the varying sizes in canon.

UCS A-Wing would be more accurate - but mini-fig isn't really a good scale by measurement - but its a good design honestly.

I favor the UCS one honestly :)

5 hours ago, Paul11283652 said:

Too small. Scaling an A-wing to minifig height will always compromise the look of a build. Starfighters should usually be scaled to minifig width but even then the A-wing is a difficult build given the varying sizes in canon.

Minifig proportions are such a total mess that scaling to height or width only makes no sense. For a human, head is about 1/8 of total height, for a minifig it is 1/5. Which means if you take average 180cm tall male and convert it to minifig terms you get... 112cm.

I generally assume minifigs are really obese and also really short. So about 1.6m tall and obese...

On 3/6/2022 at 7:01 PM, Guyinaplaguemask said:

There is a more bubble shaped piece with a bar for opening, this could be used in conjunction with a wheel arch to provide a smaller windscreen, but it may be too small.

Which piece is that 18990 or 87752 ?

5 hours ago, Kage Goomba said:

UCS A-Wing would be more accurate - but mini-fig isn't really a good scale by measurement - but its a good design honestly.

I favor the UCS one honestly :)

Thanks, yes I agree that UCS is better 

On 3/7/2022 at 3:13 AM, Jerac said:

Yeah this is the problem with the A-wing. Your one is about the right size... and uses smallest cockpit piece available, which is way too big.

I've seen one made with Technic Ducati motorbike windshield piece instead and it was a bit more proportional, but I am sure it is far more difficult to incorporate. 

All in all, it has a Chibi feel to it but in a good way!

Thanks Jerac! I've also seen that MOC, quite clever. 

2 hours ago, Jerac said:

Minifig proportions are such a total mess that scaling to height or width only makes no sense. For a human, head is about 1/8 of total height, for a minifig it is 1/5. Which means if you take average 180cm tall male and convert it to minifig terms you get... 112cm.

I generally assume minifigs are really obese and also really short. So about 1.6m tall and obese...

Given the head is the main part seen in Rebel starfighters then using that scale might be the best.