Sign in to follow this  
Arioh

All-Terrain Vehicle 42139 - Mods and improvements

Love this set.
IMG_20220227_020755.jpg

Currently built it from my spare parts. Its really cool and very playable set. Nearly perfect one, but still have few draws... And major one - all springs always compressed around 1/4 of their leingh when vehicle levelled. It puts excessive frriction on steering and slightly bends (in parts tolerance spaces) rear axles. I  removed 4 shocks, it plays nearly the same buth without listed unwanted effects. 
Minor one - steering lock is rather small, I will try to modofy it.
Otherwise - i in love with that atv... and especially tiny chainsaw. Cant wait to pick set from the store.

13 hours ago, Arioh said:

Love this set.

Currently built it from my spare parts. Its really cool and very playable set. Nearly perfect one, but still have few draws... And major one - all springs always compressed around 1/4 of their leingh when vehicle levelled. It puts excessive frriction on steering and slightly bends (in parts tolerance spaces) rear axles. I  removed 4 shocks, it plays nearly the same buth without listed unwanted effects. 
Minor one - steering lock is rather small, I will try to modofy it.
Otherwise - i in love with that atv... and especially tiny chainsaw. Cant wait to pick set from the store.

Think I prefer the colour scheme on your version! But yes, the set is pretty great.

Here's my simple chainsaw mod and cosmetic tune. Enjoy!
chainsaw_mod_1.jpg
chainsaw_mod_2.jpg
chainsaw_mod_3.jpg
Extra pieces needed:
chainsaw_mod_4.jpg

Studio file

Edited by R0Sch
added Studio file

On 3/4/2022 at 11:53 AM, R0Sch said:

That is a nice little mod, I used your idea and developed further to my taste, thank You for sharing! :sweet:

Picture heavy post is coming.

First of all, this is a great set. No, an exceptional one! This set is serious MOC territory, which I really admire. The build, the ideas, the functions cramped in this size is just perfect, the designer did really a small magic here.

On the other hand... the quality of the parts is no good. After missing new sets recently, I definitely feel the decline of the quality:color innaccuracy (orange small panels), axle hole tolerances differ a lot on the wheels, pins and axle quality is definitely cheap and don't hold as well compared to my older parts...

Let's back to the set and my MODs.

The original colors are OK, but I wanted something less vibrant, luckily changing some parts was enough. Mainly I replaced the white beams and panels to black and DBG, replaced the red accents at the visible engine area, and restructured the front fenders. Everything is very easy to do, even the set is assembled.

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

The handlebar was too low, so I twisted it's structure, now the whole proportion is much nicer.

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Added a pin w pinhole to keep the hook of the winch fixed.

800x450.jpg

Towing ball... because it is a must.

800x441.jpg

And finally the chainsaw MOD, based on @R0Sch idea. The chain is driven by the outer 12t gear, runs smoothly.

800x450.jpg

800x450.JPG

800x450.JPG

800x450.jpg

All pictures are available in high-res in my Bricklink folder.

Edited by agrof

On 3/4/2022 at 7:53 PM, R0Sch said:

Extra pieces needed:
Studio file

Using new 12t in 42140 will good for driving.

@agrof Good idea with the arched liftarm for the handle bar and the connector for the chainsaw to add stability. Not sure about the 2L axle and liftarms between the small panels though. That puts a little stress on the system.

Another thing that needs fixing is the big gap for the flatbed behind the tailgate. Thin liftarms should do the trick. And reversing the tailgate panel so logs don't get stuck when tipping.
I could start a seperate Mods thread for 42139 if @Milan moves the last posts from here.

Several posts have been split from the main 42139 topic to form this topic.
If you find another post that needs splitting and moving here, let me know.
Have fun.

22 hours ago, R0Sch said:

Not sure about the 2L axle and liftarms between the small panels though. That puts a little stress on the system.

It does indeed, but not a big deal (for me at least), actually less stress, than what the springs put on the rear axles on the ATV itself, which is an official model, sooo... :innocent:

The arched liftarm helps at steering as well, as it adds a smooth surface contact to the parts below. This eliminates that the handlebar jams during steering.

Edited by agrof

1 hour ago, agrof said:

It does indeed, but not a big deal (for me at least), actually less stress, than what the springs put on the rear axles on the ATV itself, which is an official model, sooo... :innocent:

Yea, i tried to find any quick fix for springs, but without reworking whole model, i didnt found any... Thus i just left model only with two springs only on middle axle. First and last axle are free switning. As it reduces some realism in model, it stresses MUCH less on axle, and allow steering to work much more smooth.

This is what I also tested, actually I am about to disassemble those springs to remove the "spring spring"...

Edited by agrof

I finally put chainsaw from the set to good use. Original 42139 and my modded variant.

IMG_20220311_213547.jpg

Closer look at modified one, with shoerened by one axle body.

IMG_20220311_213601.jpg

Cargo bed is simple one, without tipping, as can be seen on regular atv's

IMG_20220311_213609.jpg

Belly shot - aside one axle, same as original model.

IMG_20220311_213616.jpg

Will make and post LDD later.

I don't find 42139 very attractive, but functionally sufficient. Your four wheel version @Arioh looks great though. The blue is perfect for this version. Great job!

I am in the process of designing some different attachments and making some other changes, has anybody found a good catalogue of some different accessories that these are sold with?  

MOC: 42139 Attachment - Road Grader

I have recently been working on creating another attachment for LEGO Technic set 42139 (Technic All-Terrain Vehicle). This is a road grader.

This attaches to the rear of 42139 using a mount I have added. This can easily be lifted on and off.  The lifting of the grader blade is controlled via the leaver on the side.

Photos: https://tangerstechnic.blogspot.com/2022/03/moc-42139-attachment-road-grader.html

MOC: 42139 Attachment - Lift and Carry Forks

I have recently been working on creating another attachment for LEGO Technic set 42139 (Technic All-Terrain Vehicle). This is a set of lift and carry forks.

This attaches to the front of 42139 using a mount I have added. This is used to lift and carry various items, in the photos below, it is being used to lift and carry the logs that come with this set. The angle brackets are used to lift this and keep them in place.

Photos: https://tangerstechnic.blogspot.com/2022/03/moc-42139-attachment-lift-and-carry.html

MOC: 42139 Attachment  - Field Plough

I have recently been working on creating another attachment for LEGO Technic set 42139 (Technic All-Terrain Vehicle). This is a field plough.

This attaches to the rear of 42139 using a mount I have added. This can easily be lifted on and off.  The lifting of the plough itself is controlled via the leaver on the side.

Photos: https://tangerstechnic.blogspot.com/2022/03/moc-42139-attachment-field-plough.html

20220325_154610.jpg

20220325_154616.jpg

20220325_154632.jpg

20220325_154643.jpg

20220325_154702.jpg

On 3/6/2022 at 1:05 PM, Milan said:

Several posts have been split from the main 42139 topic to form this topic.
If you find another post that needs splitting and moving here, let me know.
Have fun.

Can we have the set name in the thread title please? :)

2 hours ago, astyanax said:

Can we have the set name in the thread title please? :)

Sure.