Sign in to follow this  
greg3

[MOC] The Yacht Peggy (version 2)

blogged.png 

Hi

It's been a while since I've posted anything on EB but thought I'd share the latest version of my 18th century Armed Yacht "Peggy". I posted the first version a while back but have since completely redesigned it. It's inspired by a real life vessel which still still survives here on the Isle of Man...

51920027698_5fc934f676_z.jpgIMG_2384 by g.nat, on Flickr

The History Bit

The Peggy was built in 1789 for a prominent local businessman and politician, George Quayle, and was originally designed as a small pleasure vessel and racing yacht. As well as 6 oar-ports and a schooner rigged sail plan, she was one of the first vessels to be fitted with sliding keels. These 3 keels could be raised or lowered depending on the conditions to maximise speed and stability. In 1796, Quayle sailed the Peggy over to England, transported her overland, and took part in a regatta on Lake Windermere with great success. During an eventful return journey, he survived a storm thanks to Peggy's sturdy design.

In 1802, the Peggy underwent some modifications which saw the sides raised, the oar ports filled in and the sliding keels and associated mechanisms removed. This made the vessel a pure sailing boat, more seaworthy and able to carry a small amount of cargo or passengers. She was also armed with 6 light swivel guns and 2 larger stern chaser cannons. Some people have suggested these changes imply that Quayle was involved in smuggling! (especially as he had a private dock and boat house cellar built into his house!). Although as Quayle was also an officer in the local defence force, and this was at the height of the Napoleonic wars, the armament might have been to provide protection from French privateers. 

When George Quayle died in 1835, the Peggy was simply bricked up in her boat cellar and forgotten about. Then in 1935, she was rediscovered still in excellent condition along with her masts, spars, guns and even the original sliding keels. In the 1940s/50s Quayle's house became a Nautical Museum with the Peggy in her boat cellar as the centrepiece. 

The Peggy is currently registered as part of the UK's National Historic Fleet as she is considered to be the oldest surviving schooner rigged vessel, the oldest vessel to have sliding keels and one of the best preserved examples of a non-military 18th century craft.

In 2015 the increasing risk of flooding and gradually deteriorating condition of the boat saw the Peggy moved from her home of over 200 years. She was taken to a temperature and humidity controlled facility where modern technology will be used to fully examine and record her structure and stabilise and restore any damage. She is due to return to public view in 2025 but for now, you can view her in LEGO form!

Without Sails

51920259804_fe36f64f83_z.jpgIMG_2382 by g.nat, on Flickr

With Sails
51920543845_187b8b2d50_z.jpgIMG_2425 by g.nat, on Flickr

Some Close Ups

51920260959_ed73d48351_z.jpgIMG_2415 by g.nat, on Flickr

51920248584_07e4d329a7_z.jpgIMG_2412 by g.nat, on Flickr

51920019228_d70b8b28ff_z.jpgIMG_2409 by g.nat, on Flickr

The Crew

51918951292_7ab61cc202_z.jpgIMG_2423 by g.nat, on Flickr

In Action

51919921031_1d4c29f4aa_z.jpgIMG_2419 by g.nat, on Flickr

51920022523_ca6a293611_z.jpgIMG_2420 by g.nat, on Flickr

The Whole Build

51920538145_edda9c6379_z.jpgIMG_2407 by g.nat, on Flickr

I'm pretty pleased with how she's ended up but at some point I'll probably redo the colour scheme - this is how she's looked since becoming a museum exhibit (recent research has uncovered her original paint schemes... white and green with a red interior and then all dark tan after 1802)

Anyway, I thought I'd put her up on LEGO IDEAS IDEAS link and see what happens!! Any support/comments would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks for looking!

blogged.png 

23 hours ago, greg3 said:

The Peggy is currently registered as part of the UK's National Historic Fleet

Is this the original? https://www.nationalhistoricships.org.uk/register/1125/peggy

The ship looks great. I love the frame and blue sea around the ship. The technique you used for hull is eye catching, interesting really. How sturdy is the structure when you pick up the ship?

I gave you my support on Ideas :pir-thumb:

Edited by Marooned Marin
poor grammar

1 hour ago, Marooned Marin said:

Is this the original? https://www.nationalhistoricships.org.uk/register/1125/peggy

The ship looks great. I love the frame and blue sea around the ship. The technique you used for hull is eye catching, interesting really. How sturdy is the structure when you pick up the ship?

I'll gave you my support on Ideas :pir-thumb:

Thanks for the support!! (I think the submission might benefit from some better photos... don't think the current ones are the best)

Yep, that's the real life one you've linked to. There's more info here Peggy Link

The hull is really sturdy in fact the boat could be called swooshable (especially without the sails... they are a bit heavy to be waving around!

I do have plans to use the technique again (I plan on a different colour scheme and I have ideas for other vessels!) so I might create a bit of a tutorial or at least some pics of how it all fits together!

On 3/6/2022 at 6:44 AM, greg3 said:

It's been a while since I've posted anything on EB but thought I'd share the latest version of my 18th century Armed Yacht "Peggy".

Welcome back, Greg!  That's a nice little creation of Peggy you've built there.

Fully accessorised and you've included minifigs - even though this is technically a microscale built.

Nice work! :pir-thumb:

image.png

12 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Welcome back, Greg!  That's a nice little creation of Peggy you've built there.

Fully accessorised and you've included minifigs - even though this is technically a microscale built.

Nice work! :pir-thumb:

Thanks for the comments... glad you like it!

It is actually minifig scale - assuming my maths is right!!! (aimed for 1 stud = 1 ft) The real life vessel is only 27ft long, which I think makes its survival after 200 years all the more surprising!!

The masts and sails are best guesses based on plans of the boat I found online that were made in the 50's following its rediscovery.

One day I'd like to try and do the full hull w/keel, rudder etc but there are lots of tricky curves and angles to get to grips with! (in the meantime I'm looking at using the hull design as the basis for a Congreve Rocket Launching boat!! (or maybe a Victorian Lifeboat)

10 hours ago, greg3 said:

It is actually minifig scale - assuming my maths is right!!! (aimed for 1 stud = 1 ft) The real life vessel is only 27ft long, which I think makes its survival after 200 years all the more surprising!!

Where do we see the real vessel upon which the MOC was based?

Hey @greg3, great job on this! Very interesting building technique to achieve the curve of the hull. I love MOCs of smaller size vessels, as the lack of prefab pieces requires creative techniques and this is a fine example! :pir-huzzah2:

On 3/6/2022 at 8:01 PM, greg3 said:

The hull is really sturdy in fact the boat could be called swooshable 

I didn't know there is name for this technique, but after some detective work (mainly using google and hitting the first result) I see there is lot to learn here https://swooshable.com/

Thanks for teaching me that.

P.S. Congrats on achieving 100 supporters!:pir-thumb:

On 3/9/2022 at 4:22 AM, greg3 said:

I used these to help with the build… hope you find them interesting! 

Thank you, Greg!

This artwork is very inspiring!

image.png

The Blog Post has some quite interesting historic information... and photos of the actual Peggy!

I like how this one has a fortress in the background!

image.png

On 6/30/2022 at 2:43 PM, Mister Phes said:

The Blog Post has some quite interesting historic information... and photos of the actual Peggy!

I like how this one has a fortress in the background!

That's Castle Rushen (one of the best preserved Medieval castles in Europe... one day I'd like to recreate that in Lego too!)

As for The Peggy, I've recently had a tour of the warehouse where she's undergoing conservation and learnt loads about her former owner and took a few photos of the boat ...

52182521976_1a86eb1a6e_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

52182522221_363e1834d0_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Guns

52182771199_6128a35b86_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

52182529308_d3a1c5dcca_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Original 200 year old decoration!! 

52182774009_e3d0d4da4f_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Masts and spars

52182525671_e281bea446_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

10 hours ago, greg3 said:

I've recently had a tour of the warehouse where she's undergoing conservation

This is cool. Have you showed them LEGO version of the Peggy?

On 7/2/2022 at 8:32 AM, Marooned Marin said:

This is cool. Have you showed them LEGO version of the Peggy?

I have and they seemed quite impressed… (they’d just held  a LEGO minifig treasure hunt across several of their sites and are looking to do more LEGO themed things) I’ve  emailed some pics of more of my local builds to them waiting to hear back from them… fingers crossed! 

On 7/2/2022 at 6:40 AM, greg3 said:

As for The Peggy, I've recently had a tour of the warehouse where she's undergoing conservation and learnt loads about her former owner and took a few photos of the boat ...

If only we had all these photos when we wrote the blog post! :pir-grin:

You guys have the most hilarious flag... literally just 3 armored legs connected at the thigh on a red background.