Monkeyulize

[MOC] TIE Phantom

I keep forgetting to mention - the sticker should say "Cloaking Device"

It is the reason why this TIE is a Phantom TIE after all. :)

2022-05-16%2010-52-05.gif

I guess it's true what  they say about a MOC never being done...

I wanted to try and extend the rear portion of each wing into the body more smoothly.  As you can see above that is probably the most glaring difference in overall shaping.  I'm pretty happy with the result:

new-wings.png

It required some internal changes which I'm hoping will be as strong as before.

42 minutes ago, Monkeyulize said:

2022-05-16%2010-52-05.gif

I guess it's true what  they say about a MOC never being done...

I wanted to try and extend the rear portion of each wing into the body more smoothly.  As you can see above that is probably the most glaring difference in overall shaping.  I'm pretty happy with the result:

new-wings.png

It required some internal changes which I'm hoping will be as strong as before.

Just when you think you can't perfect it anymore - you go and do it again lol.

I'm facing a similar challenge with my TIE Defender 3.0 variant - the TIE panels need some improvements. I may have to take the approach you did with your TIE Phantom in terms of the leading edge. But I need to build the bloody thing first so it will sit for now. :)

A few more improvements I felt were worth mentioning/posting.  I finally removed the pentagonal tiles at the tips of each wing in favor of a full rail.  This came with some more internal reconfiguring to have the same amount of clamping force but fully hidden.  Also messed with the rear section some more, adding some shaping and even more details.

tiehpantom-v9.png

tiehpantom-v9_3.png

I love how smooth that rear angle looks now:

Edited by Monkeyulize

I'm pretty excited, I think I finally found a way to fit two minifigs in a mostly correct way while also retaining some details. I'm pretty sure this will work with bricks but won't know until I order a few pieces I don't have to build it and test but I don't see any collisions in studio.

tiephantom-v9-cockpit.png

I've tested the design and with a couple tweaks it works in bricks with no issues! It is a tight fit but nothing is being strained and with the right angles for the legs/arms the figs will fit.  I have updated the instructions and parts list on Rebrickable.

640x480.png

Also, I guess my MOC has finally "made it" -- a copy has shown up on AliExpress :pir_laugh2: (NEW Star Plan Tie Phantom Fighter Interceptor Space Wars MOC Building Blocks DIY Toys Kids Gifts| | - AliExpress)

Sucks for those who will buy it that it won't be the much more refined version that is currently available for free but eh.  

Edited by Monkeyulize

3 hours ago, Monkeyulize said:

I've tested the design and with a couple tweaks it works in bricks with no issues! It is a tight fit but nothing is being strained and with the right angles for the legs/arms the figs will fit.  I have updated the instructions and parts list on Rebrickable.

640x480.png

Also, I guess my MOC has finally "made it" -- a copy has shown up on AliExpress :pir_laugh2: (NEW Star Plan Tie Phantom Fighter Interceptor Space Wars MOC Building Blocks DIY Toys Kids Gifts| | - AliExpress)

Sucks for those who will buy it that it won't be the much more refined version that is currently available for free but eh.  

Nice work Monkey. Looks great as ever.

I just may go and build one.

I forgot to ask - does yours sit on a stand or is it safe on its TIE panels?

1 minute ago, Kage Goomba said:

Nice work Monkey. Looks great as ever.

I just may go and build one.

I forgot to ask - does yours sit on a stand or is it safe on its TIE panels?

It sits on a stand although it could sit on the panels for a short while if you wanted -- they're pretty sturdy.  There's instructions on the rebrickable page for the stand.

3 minutes ago, Monkeyulize said:

It sits on a stand although it could sit on the panels for a short while if you wanted -- they're pretty sturdy.  There's instructions on the rebrickable page for the stand.

I'll have to look into that...still need to clean up my TIE/d - got a co-worker building one out so I'm eager to learn how it works out - although he may take a long time to get there - was hopping more would show up to help test the thing out lol.

Just a little update, I think I finally figured out what was bugging me about the proportions of the cockpit. It needed just a touch more length and I was able to reincorporate the macaroni pieces which look way better than the slope pieces I was using. This is also going to afford me some additional space in the cockpit to add detailing but I haven't figured out what I want to do there yet.

800x600.png

800x600.png

Back again with an update. I started off with trying a different technique for the engine heat spreaders which led me down a path of tweaking many things including the wing proportions, the wing-tip blasters, the entire rear section, the whole engine 'pod', and the greebling.

Also a look at a landing pad I'm working on.

landing%20platform_2.png

angles.png

Edited by Monkeyulize

I, think that I like your version more, than the source materials that is available. Nice work :)

Reworked the rear section significantly. Also some internal stuff in the wings and some updated instructions that should hopefully result in a smoother build process. 

IMG_2218~2.JPG

1280x980.JPG

Very nice and your continuous improvements only make it better after each iteration.

Thank you for sharing the instructions of this one. It is becoming higher and higher on my ToDo list.

Major update to the wings and some internal stuff for stronger connections. I can extremely confidently swoosh this thing around by holding on the rear or from the wings. The instructions also got an overhaul.

I opened it as a new project on Rebrickable in case anyone wanted to purchase the version with all the improvements, otherwise the old version is still available for free. 

tiephantom1-4_3.jpgtiephantom2-4_3.jpg

tiephantom3-4_3.jpgtiephantom4-4_3.jpg

Edited by Monkeyulize

Holy cow, this is seriously amazing! Need to visit rebrickable.. , :pir-huzzah2: Good job!!!

I made a video overview of this model showing handling and highlighting some of my favorite bits. Give it a like if you wouldn't mind, I'm dipping my toes into the youtube space. Also my camera kinda of just crapped the bed after I filmed this so that's fun.