Monkeyulize

[MOC] TIE Phantom

INSTRUCTIONS -> LEGO MOC TIE Phantom by monkeyulize | Rebrickable - Build with LEGO

With this model of the TIE Phantom I wanted to cram as much detail into this scale as possible.  Notably, the heat-spreaders on the engine components are built up rather than using vent pieces and the rear of the ship has the signature curve that the original ship in-universe possesses.  

This model uses 100% legal building techniques with a special focus towards stability.  The model can be 'palmed' and 'swooshed' relatively easily, though the large size of the engine area can make this difficult for smaller hands.  The model can be safely gripped from the wings as well.

1280x1044.png

1280x960.JPG

1280x960.JPG

tiephantom-v11.2_plaque.png

Update 4 - MINIFIGS!

Spoiler

I've finally found a way to fit two minifigs in the canopy in the correct way canonically. It's tight, but there is no stressing of any parts and it still looks good detail-wise.

640x480.png

Update 3:

Spoiler

I've made some fairly significant changes to the wing design around the rear which necessitated some internal changes to accommodate.  I updated the instructions to hopefully be the best yet in terms of ease-of-building although there are still some areas that are just difficult no matter what.  All files are updated on Rebrickable.

both.png

blueprints3.png

Latest Pictures (Real Life):

Spoiler

PXL_20220521_202218255.jpg

PXL_20220521_202247974.jpg

PXL_20220521_202311139.jpg

PXL_20220521_202327215.jpg

PXL_20220521_202345822.jpg

PXL_20220521_202410035.jpg

Update 2:

I've made changes to greebling and made adjustments to some errors in the instructions/build and created a First Order version.  I've also finalized a stand design that I really like.  All files are updated on Rebrickable.

Latest pictures (real life):

Spoiler

1280x964.jpg

1280x964.jpg

1280x964.jpg

1280x964.jpg

1280x964.jpg

1280x964.jpg

1280x964.jpg

Latest Pictures (renders):

Spoiler

tiephantom-v8_11.png

800x600.png

800x600.png

800x600.png

tiephantom-v8-firstorder2%201.gif

Update 1:

I've made changes to the wing design to give it better proportions and sleekness. I've also changed the greebling around the engines for sturdiness and aesthetics.  As I've held and picked up the model as well as had friends pick it up I've noticed some of the parts fell off or were finicky so I've tried to fix those issues.

However, due to the increased forward weight the stand design I had just barely works and I'm worried it's going to come off so I'm still at the drawing board on that.  When I have a good design I'll post that as well.  Instructions have been updated at the Rebrickable link 

New pictures:

Spoiler

tiephantom-v8_6.pngtiephantom-v8_3.pngtiephantom-v8_4.pngtiephantom-v8_5.pngtiephantom-v8_2.png

Edited by Monkeyulize
adding pictures

This looks good..seriously....but I'd love to see more detail-definition.

I got a TIE Defender that I paid for instructions wise but the idiot designer never audited his bloody model - so trust me when I say this - I truly appreciate you looking for feedback and checking on things. Def. learned a lot when it comes how I'll handle my Otana build (see link below)

Would be neat to see an UCS version of this.

Wonderful. I agree with Kage, the devil is in the details. The way you've incorporated engine angles is wonderful. Also, asking for feedback is crucial in the design process. I'll be picking up instructions for this.

Nice, Job. I've been sitting on a design for a year now, never got around to test-building it. Some day I will though...

800x600.png 800x600.png 800x600.png 800x1067.png 800x600.png 800x600.png

It looks good and consistent, and I like double-sided solar panels.

The biggest issue with the 3d model is that you cannot verify its durability (Altough you can predict some weak spots).

From what I see in the instructions I can tell that it will probably be a sturdy build, the core seems very solid and well thought, and the only dubious part is whether halves of the panels are going to stay together, especially front tips of them. 
Center of mass may be too far to the front for the ship to stay level without a stand, so I recommend making one too.

4 hours ago, Jerac said:

It looks good and consistent, and I like double-sided solar panels.

The biggest issue with the 3d model is that you cannot verify its durability (Altough you can predict some weak spots).

From what I see in the instructions I can tell that it will probably be a sturdy build, the core seems very solid and well thought, and the only dubious part is whether halves of the panels are going to stay together, especially front tips of them. 
Center of mass may be too far to the front for the ship to stay level without a stand, so I recommend making one too.

I have built it and am pretty content with how sturdy it is.  Yes, the wings are the hardest part to hold together, but the T-bar holding the wing-tip cannons actually gives a bit of clamping force to the tips which was a happy surprise.  I have an interim stand but I'm waiting on parts to arrive to make one with a slight downward angle.  Making a stand has honestly been much harder than I thought considering my design doesn't have an easy way to connect all the way through to the central shaft.  The jumpers on the bottom work well enough but for future models I now know I need to build with accommodating a stand in mind.

On 3/5/2022 at 8:56 AM, MAVERICK26 said:

Wonderful. I agree with Kage, the devil is in the details. The way you've incorporated engine angles is wonderful. Also, asking for feedback is crucial in the design process. I'll be picking up instructions for this.

Thank you!  Post a pic if you end up building it and let me know what you thought of the instructions/build process.  That's another thing I've tried to really refine.

36 minutes ago, Monkeyulize said:

I have built it and am pretty content with how sturdy it is.  Yes, the wings are the hardest part to hold together, but the T-bar holding the wing-tip cannons actually gives a bit of clamping force to the tips which was a happy surprise.  I have an interim stand but I'm waiting on parts to arrive to make one with a slight downward angle.  Making a stand has honestly been much harder than I thought considering my design doesn't have an easy way to connect all the way through to the central shaft.  The jumpers on the bottom work well enough but for future models I now know I need to build with accommodating a stand in mind.

TBH as long as it doesn't fall too easily and detaching the stand doesn't rip something off from the model, I wouldn't worry much about connecting to the internal frame. I mean, I so far got no complaints about that in any of my models, and they always clip on just 2-4 studs somewhere in the bottom.

1 minute ago, Jerac said:

TBH as long as it doesn't fall too easily and detaching the stand doesn't rip something off from the model, I wouldn't worry much about connecting to the internal frame. I mean, I so far got no complaints about that in any of my models, and they always clip on just 2-4 studs somewhere in the bottom.

Yup second that - I've three/four of Jeracs mocs and they all sit on 2-4 studs well enough - a lot of the time the weight of the model itself plus the few studs is sufficient.  I use a lot of the Wicked Brick miscellaneous small and medium Perspex stands and they are only 4 studs on a plate.

I decided to see if I could get rid of the 'bulb' at the top of each wing.  I'm using two of these assemblies in the wing now to hold them together:

400x300.png

I haven't used this technique before so I'm not sure how well it will hold the halves together, but it does give a cleaner look and also automatically made me extend the wing length which looks better as well.  Hopefully it will hold together well with physical bricks.

tiephantom-v8_3.png

Edited by Monkeyulize

Just did some work on the Otana here..would be great to get some feedback from you @Monkeyulize

Also may need to pick your brains on this defective TIE Defender I blew a grand on no thanks to the idiot who didn't audit his damn model.

Need to salvage my investment and redo his entire design :P

You seem to have good taste on the subject matter.

Edited by Kage Goomba

Nice, clean and well built TIE Phantom. Good job @Monkeyulize

Keep sharing your awesome work. 

Thanks.

well, now I know what I'm building next..

Thanks for the free instructions!

Wasn't familiar with this TIE model before and was hoping this was going to be some kind of hilarious "Ugly" mashup of a TIE and the Phantom from Rebels.

Looks great though!

Edited by elfprince13

1 hour ago, elfprince13 said:

Wasn't familiar with this TIE model before and was hoping this was going to be some kind of hilarious "Ugly" mashup of a TIE and the Phantom from Rebels.

Looks great though!

Look up Rebel Assault II Game - its a good story.

Its a TIE with a Cloaking Device basically - think it has a hyperdrive/shield.

I've been working on the greebling and detail in the engines and I tried adding striping which let me add in an accent color.  I think red looks cool as maybe a special forces version.  I've also changed the wing-tip cannons to have a more accurate shape.  I also added a lot more detail to the cockpit area but unfortunately I couldn't figure out a good way to make it look good and fit two figures so for now I'm just gonna be content without minifig compatibility.  I may revisit this later but it's not as big a deal to me as everything else.

tiephantom-v8_6.png

tiephantom-v8_7.png

I like the stripes. Those cones are awful for fitting two figs into. I've tried many times myself for my Phantom and it always ends up fragile.

Very nice rendition of the TIE-Phantom. I like the way you connected the wings panels together !

Your cockpit it very nice and it is unfortunate that minifigs can't find inside. I had done the job myself for my DP20M and those SW helmets are really large.

49923235952_11c903c016_w.jpg
DP20M Medical Frigate by Veynom, on Flickr

I've downloaded your instructions and I'm adding it to my todo. Thanks for this. I will provide additional feedback later!

Edited by Veynom
typo

Here's a First Order conversion.  I'm definitely gonna get the parts to make this version, it's much more striking than the Imperial version.  Also playing around with rendering an animation.

tiephantom-v8-firstorder2%201.gif

10.png

Edited by Monkeyulize

I love your TIE Phantom, both the OT and First Order versions! The cockpit shape is perfect. And the greebling is spot on.

I finally got my last bricklink order for the greebling as well as the UCS sticker I made.  Here are some real life pics at long last.

800x602.jpg

800x602.jpg

800x602.jpg

800x602.jpg

800x602.jpg

800x602.jpg

That is incredible, man. The greebling is just outstanding and the shaping is spot-on. The custom plaque looks good too.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

This is very nice. I'm not very familiar with the source material but I love the shape of it. Without wanting to sound crass, I love the rear end especially...!

Nice.

Got a TIE Defender in the works here - nearing completion (its also my worst nightmare project lol)

Looking forward to having it join the TIE family.