BrickDuvel

[MOC] Black Falcon's Fortress Anno 2022

With the reissuing of the Black Falcon’s faction in the current Blacksmith set and in the lego creator 3 in 1 castle set, I thought it was the right time to give the Black Falcons back a proper fortress.  For me such a fortress has to be based on the iconic fortress in set 6074 from 1986. Lego already did a re-release in 2012, but this was an exact copy of the 1986 set. Now 10 years later, with modern lego bricks we can give it a fresh new look up to today’s standards.

Like in the orginal set, in my build the front of the fortress has 2 octagonal towers surrounding the drawbridge. This special tower shape gave the 1986 set it’s iconic look, so this shape was a must to include in this MOC.
In the back of the fortress, the defensive walls in the corners are also half octagonal shaped to continue this unique look.

Also like in the original in the back on the right side, there is a square tower with a pyramid shaped black roof (with the old style slopes).  In the back on the left, I deviated somewhat from the orginal layout to create much larger living quarters. The yellow-black wall in the watchtower in the 1986 set is replaced by a whole yellow-black dining room on the first floor and an attic on top in this section. The positioning of the roof and chimney are pretty close to the orginial, but way bigger.

There's a lot of detail cramped up in a 40x40 brick footprint so it can be used as a display piece on a shelf.
But like the 6074 set it can open up completely and every function becomes accessible.

Play functions:

•          a drawbridge
  •         a forge
  •         a kitchen
  •         a dining room
  •         an attic for storage with pulley system
  •         a market/shop
  •         a jail
  •         a water well
  •         a secret wall

I’m still waiting on some parts to finish the live build, so therefore I finished it first in studio and created already some renders. Actual photo’s will be added later on.

51919396879_a091273147_k.jpgMOC Lego Black Falcon's fortress render front right side angle by Brick Duvel, on Flickr

51917451266_e187a13beb_k.jpg

51919066716_2dfeedcc0f_k.jpgMOC Lego Black Falcon's fortress render front opened up front topview by Brick Duvel, on Flickr

Edited by BrickDuvel

That is a proper fortress for the Black Falcons. Great work upscaling the design and morphing it to a more realistic version.

Love it. Just bought the original from ebay. Sadly missing the Quadruple Convex at the top. Especially sad as they're about £5 for a replacement...

Congrats!  An absolutely fantastic build.  Very good representation of the Falcons castle of old.  The texture, color and all aesthetics are stellar.  

My only nitpick would be the windows in the bottom section that would seem to allow attackers to easily breach the defenses!!!  But that could add playability, so it is all good.  :wink:

Great work!

This is a great build. A lovely compact look to it. Will hunt down the instructions!

Would also look great slotted into raised rockwork, so atop a cliff or steep hill.

The MOC is finished, it ended up just over 5.800 pieces. I also finished the instructions in Bricklink studio (More than 1.200 steps in just under 600 pages). Instructions are available on Rebrickable in PDF format.

Also finally added real pictures to my Flickr page. Here are some shots:

52122396860_5287dff068_k.jpg

52122137064_e9fac5faa1_k.jpg

52121927408_977ac9ed14_k.jpg

52122248106_898dfc6f88_k.jpg

52121927638_04053777dd_k.jpg

52121894891_c59e189d31_k.jpg

52122806860_f6019c0f72_k.jpg

Edited by BrickDuvel

Love it! The cheese slope corners are a real revelation for me. Never seen that done before, but the look is so good. I can’t wait to play with that. 

On 5/30/2022 at 7:34 AM, SirBlake said:

Love it! The cheese slope corners are a real revelation for me. Never seen that done before, but the look is so good. I can’t wait to play with that. 

Thank you for the compliment.

On 5/29/2022 at 11:58 PM, brimbolet said:

Great fortress; congratulations!

Thanks!

On 3/12/2022 at 10:40 AM, Bricky Steamboat said:

This is a great build. A lovely compact look to it. Will hunt down the instructions!

Would also look great slotted into raised rockwork, so atop a cliff or steep hill.

Thank you for the comment. You're probably right with the rockwork, but it has already 5.800 pieces :wink:

On 3/11/2022 at 2:01 PM, DaleDVM said:

Congrats!  An absolutely fantastic build.  Very good representation of the Falcons castle of old.  The texture, color and all aesthetics are stellar.  

My only nitpick would be the windows in the bottom section that would seem to allow attackers to easily breach the defenses!!!  But that could add playability, so it is all good.  :wink:

Great work!

Thank you for the nice words. Don't worry, the kitchen windows are guarded by a deep moat with piranhas :moar:

On 3/11/2022 at 10:15 AM, Rjbricks said:

Love it. Just bought the original from ebay. Sadly missing the Quadruple Convex at the top. Especially sad as they're about £5 for a replacement...

Thanks, the quadruple convex should come back in a new set. The cone piece is not the same but seen the price difference good enough.

On 3/10/2022 at 4:16 PM, Follows Closely said:

"Lego already did a re-release in 2012"

Lego already did a re-release in 2002

Typo, thanks for the correction.

On 3/10/2022 at 3:15 PM, Feuer Zug said:

That is a proper fortress for the Black Falcons. Great work upscaling the design and morphing it to a more realistic version.

Thanks, glad you like it.

On 3/9/2022 at 3:55 PM, wanderer1980 said:

amazing!!!

Thanks!