BatteryPoweredBricks

Controlling PF Trains with HiTechnic IRLink (NXT)

I haven't been able to find how to send commands to a PF receiver like a train controller would using the HiTechnic IRLink.  I need to send a one time command for power level 7 in either direction.  I am using a PF servo motor to control the direction of a monorail.  I can control the servo with the IRLink but it just returns to center after a second or so unless I loop the IR command.  Since the IRLink will most likely be used to control many other IR devices I want to be able to send a single command for the 3 states.  I'm including a short video illustrating my dilemma.  For bonus point I'll also include a short video of my current work around which would tie up two motor outputs on one of my controllers.  I typically use the official NXT-G for programming or NXC in some cases.  I haven't used either language in about 4 years so I'm trying to get back up to speed.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

After much searching I finally found what I needed.  I just needed the right block to send the right command.  I don't think it was on the HiTechnic site but I did find it elsewhere.  Maybe this will help someone in the future

https://modernroboticsinc.com/download/hitechnic-power-functions-single-irlink-sensor-block-for-mindstorms-nxt-software/

Good you found it, I futzed with the IR link years ago. There was no "pure" way to set and retain the speed level directly with IR and I THINK I was looking for a solution to reliably control two IR receivers in tandem. For me at least, the functional range was really short, like less than 1m so my ideas never got off the ground, but then SBrick solved the power problems I was having, and now the rollerbearing wheels have really solved the problem. At any rate, I had emailed the HiTechnic folks at the time and they said that the range was limited because the available power to the sensor ports is very small