mortenm

Problems with PF IR Speed Remote

Hello there.

I've bought a couple of ir speed remotes and they doesn't work quite well; it's like the knobs are very unstable. Sometimes turning a knob one "tick" results the speed going from 0 direct to max. Also I can't count on the direction og the train, sometimes it's going backwards even if I turn the knob in the forward direction (I know I can change direction with the little black switch, but that's not the problem).

I've tried to disassemble one of the remotes to see if the contacts should be worn, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Anyone with some tips?

Thanks.

Are the batteries good?  Do both remotes behave the same way?   Do you have flourescent lighting?

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried with fresh batteries (works fine in one of my old remotes). The other remote acts almost the same, the right knob works fine, but the left has problems like the first remote. 

I'm pretty sure my lights aren't flouroscent, but I'll try later with the lights off. 

On 2/27/2022 at 9:56 AM, mortenm said:

I've tried to disassemble one of the remotes to see if the contacts should be worn, but that doesn't seem to be the case

Have you tried or did you do? Any chance to see a photograph of the inside?

The logic chip looking for the dials (left/right turn, go up/down, even when still sending out the usually 4 times repeated IR signal) needs clean contacts. The dial has more than one round of contacts (for deciding on the above), so this is critical.

There are electronic grade sprays you may want to use to clean the contacts (NOT WD40) - no idea what you have at hand.

As said, a close-up photograph would help for further "analysis" :pir-wink:

Best,
Thorsten