XG BC

[MOC]XG BC's MILS modules MONORAIL!

This will be the tread where i will share all my mils mocs. MILS is a standart where you have modules that follow a certain standart. For further info about MILS read here:

https://www.abellon.net/MILS/

lets start with three mocs that have been converted to mils:

steam era workshop milsmodern automated workshop milsbrick factory mils

ski resort mils #1ski resort mils #2

hope you like these! more coming soon!

Edited by XG BC

that seems quite high. i use the road system inspired by bevins bricks on youtube which uses the new roadplates as the basis for it. here are some modules:

starting with the monorail section

mils monorail 32 x32 road

monorail track integrated into the middle of the road

mils monorail 32 x32 road_3

monorail track with support from the sidewalk.

mils monorail 32 x32 road_2

monorail double track with support from the sidewalk.

and finally what is a monorail without a station?

monorail station mils

this one has been inspired by the stations of the no longer existing sidney monorail.

next up here is how to integrate tramway tracks into the road

mils basic 32 x32 tramway

dual track

mils basic 32 x32 tramway_2

single track to one side

mils basic 32 x32 tramway_3

middle track

now moving onto something i already teased in my main post: a ski resort.

ski resort mils #2

first up is a water reservoir for the snow cannons.

ski resort mils #1

next is the beginner slope

ski resort mils #3

next is the chairlifts bottom drive terminal

ski resort mils #3_2

view from the other side

ski resort mils #4

first part of the main slope

ski resort mils #5

second part of the main slope

ski resort mils #6

and finally we arrive at the top tension terminal with 90 degree unloading

completed ski resort

and here is the whole thing put together.to the right of the main slope behind the water reservoir will be a small mountain town.

56 minutes ago, XG BC said:

that seems quite high. i use the road system inspired by bevins bricks on youtube which uses the new roadplates as the basis for it. here are some modules:

It is tall but I also build my track on top of MILS so the top of the rails are already 9 plates above the baseplate. It really gives me space to do a lot of terrain variation. 

19 minutes ago, supertruper1988 said:

It is tall but I also build my track on top of MILS so the top of the rails are already 9 plates above the baseplate. It really gives me space to do a lot of terrain variation. 

yea it is always a trade off between bricks used for each module and terrain variation freedom.

current progress on the ski resort: i added two more modules to the ski resort. it is now 80% complete with 8 out of 10 modules done. the modules i added are the ski shop and halfpipe from the city set.

current progress ski resort

...aaand i am done! ski resort contained within 10 MILS modules. The resort includes a working chairlift, a snow groomer with garage, a bunny hill complete with conveyor, snowcannons and a small town section with the buildings from the city ski resort set integrated into the landscape and more!

completed ski resort#1

13 minutes ago, noahtheb said:

This looks great! Can you add some trees?

thank you! trees and further detailing are next on my list

Edited by XG BC

and now for something different: this time a mils power substation with a big transformer and a transmission line pole:

mils power substation

sticking to the topic of power generation/distribution here is the first lower half of a hydroelectric power plant. the small train is for inspection purposes

hydro power plant

further progress will be posted soon

Edited by XG BC

MILS power lines, that is a new one ;) 

Very nice, I am also starting to convert everything to MILS. 

On 3/26/2022 at 9:05 AM, XG BC said:

and now for something different: this time a mils power substation with a big transformer and a transmission line pole:

mils power substation

Simply gorgeous ...I was looking for something like this for years!

another one! this time a datacenter:

datacenter

it feaures a security fence, big sign, cooling units on the roof  and much more!

datacenter_2

ground floor includes a goods lift, entrance for a truck to deliver hardware and a diesel generator to power the datacenter incase the city power goes out.

datacenter_3

second floor includes an opening for the goods lift and all the servers which are connected by overhead cable trusses.

hope you like it!

This is breathtakingly nice (all of your modules!!!) and so well-thought-out! Wow.

The price tag on these modules/layouts is also pretty tough, right? Is there a way to estimate the costs per module?

Very impressive.

With very best regards,
Thorsten

ok so lets start with the pricing @Toastie:

modern automated workshop mils

estimated price: 324,68€

steam era workshop mils

estimated price: 287,14€

brick factory mils

estimated price: 158,31€

monorail station mils

estimated price: 82,88€

completed ski resort#1

estimated price: 884,49€

mils power substation

estimated price: 84,99€

hydro power plant final

estimated price: 202,71€

datacenter

estimated price: 196,53€

total current price: 2221,73€

not cheap at all. my car probably costs less. in reality it only costed me the electricity to run my laptop but if you want to build it irl it costs that much. as far as estimating the cost goes i design these using stud.io 2.0 so i can just upload them as a bricklink wanted list thus gaining me info about the price on what each one would cost.

Edited by XG BC

4 hours ago, XG BC said:

not cheap at all. my car probably costs less.

:pir-laugh:

Thank you very much for doing this!!! I really appreciate that!

Well - way out of my league as well - if I would approach Ms Toastie with any of these price tags ... loud laughter, yes I believe this would best describe her reaction :pir-huzzah2:

Thanks again!
Best wishes,
Thorsten     

no problem. but on the other hand when you see what some people spend on other hobbies or fancy meals/drinks and stuff...

On 6/17/2022 at 11:05 AM, Toastie said:

:pir-laugh:

Thank you very much for doing this!!! I really appreciate that!

Well - way out of my league as well - if I would approach Ms Toastie with any of these price tags ... loud laughter, yes I believe this would best describe her reaction :pir-huzzah2:

Thanks again!
Best wishes,
Thorsten     

Another thing to consider is that Studio uses AVERAGE NEW brick prices. When building modules like these, there are plenty of ways to cut back on costs like buying the brick that will be below the "ground" in used condition and using any color baseplate you may have on hand, buying parts through LUGBulk, buying on the PAB wall, etc.

Thats just the start of price optimization that is almost its own hobby if you are building a large layout using the MILS or Moduverse standards. 

I have it down to less than $20 per basic MILS module and the cost to convert a modular building to MILS is even less because the baseplate is already included so there is minimal cost to add some filler brick and plate to raise up the building. 

ofcourse i dindnt bother optimizing the price. if i would buy it for real i would look to get the bricks cheaper ofcourse. was just a rough estimate. anyways here is another build from me. this time it is the testing facility from a company called "SpinLaunch". they attempt to make launching payloads into space cheaper by flinging it using a giant arm that rotates inside of a vaccuum chamber. this poses many challenges especially on the bearing that holds the arm to handle the ginormous g-forces involved when the payload is released from the arm. if you want to see how it should work in a concept watch this:

here is the actual suborbital test that they conducted:

...and here is my mils module. it is not 100% accurate i took some creative liberties:

spinlaunch test

as you can see there is currently a test being conducted. this depicts exactly the moment when the test payload leaves the "barrel" of the launcher.

here is an inside look into the control container:

spinlaunch test_2

the container is actually two 6-wide containers that would fit on for example the mearsk train put together to have more space for an interior. the interior is largely dominated by a giant screen as any modern space launching facility should have.

on the other side that you cant see there is just another desk/workbench but no screen. the building also includes two dishes to monitor the test payload as it travels through the atmosphere.

hope you like this model and my explanation!

another one: this time i started to make a summer version of my ski resort. in the summer some of these resorts are used as bikeparks where you can get your mountainbike transported up the hill and ride downhill. anyways here is my current progress:

ski resort summer

i already added a t bar style lift that tows the bikers up the hill complete with emergency stops, a power station and the safety tripwire. i also added a small pumptrack for beginners to practice on and i added the beginning of the black rated jumpline with a first drop, a left handed berm and a hip jump. many jumps/drops will follow on this trail whilst it leads down the hill. i will also add a beginner trail going down the hill and a tech trail with rockrolls and a small forest section.

i was really into monorail in the last few weeks and watched a couple of videos of monorails in japan and got inspired to make this:

monorail station

it is the end of a monorail line inspired by the shonan monorail which goes into a tunnel right after starting off/ending. the shohan monorail also ends in a less modern looking part of the city. here is the other side:

monorail station_2

here you can see more of the monorail. it has a third rail powering it. what i really like about this model is the symbiosis of the modern (the train it is modelled after the one from the inuyhama monorail was built in 1962 but still) and old, peaceful nature type of style with the house and bridge and stuff  it is also what i like about japan despite never having been there. @Masao Hidaka if you have any suggestions let me know.

hope you guys like it.