Jerac

[MOC] The Return of The X-Wing

I think it is included in the V2 pack, but if not I have a tool to automatically generate it. Technically it compares two parts lists and returns diffs between both.

Edited by Jerac

On 4/22/2022 at 2:59 AM, Jerac said:

Naaah absolutely not. I just don't want the thing to be easy for chinese thieves and that's all. It is against their codex to do any work themselves so I don't expect them to reverse-engineer anything :D

Cool, cool.  Just wanted to make sure.

I've reached a point where I'm not sure I can continue.  Getting the angles right on the fuselage sides from 262 and 279 of the white model has been a pain, and I still don't have it correctly done.  Then, getting the piece made in 286 to fit inside in 287 just isn't working.  Would be so much easier with actual (physical) parts.  The wings are done (I jumped ahead for the laser cannons), so I can mess with paint schemes on those.  I'll probably go back to try the rest again, but may end up building what I can to get a feel for what I can do with the paint scheme.  Then, I'll part it out to see what I need to buy to actually build it ...

Well, I made it work.  It's not perfect, but good enough. 

X-Wing-Studio-done5.jpg.04a1e1d39617e0bc8726b2ca1cdeb1cb.jpg

Now, it's time to figure out what scheme to build for real.

At the end of 2021 I was about to dive into the moc experience called X-wing. I spent days browsing Flickr and other sites finding ideas and references. It was around that time that I saw an updated version of your X-wing v1 on BrickVault. I immediately bit the bullet and bought the instructions as this looked as a perfect Lego-fication of the real model.

It was the first time I bought fan-made instructions, but it was a blast. From the quality of the intructions to the brick collecting and finally building the spaceship. I finished my (your) white X-wing v2 some weeks ago. I learned a lot Lego connections that I didn’t know where possible and some parts clicked together so perfectly I was astounded. Like the folding system, the motors and the angles on the fuselage. I have to admit that I would not be able to create this piece myself. (It’s only now that I see the gears on the end of the wings are missing. I think my son took these to built his lawnmower...)

0-BF11-F77-14-D9-47-D0-9-D96-32-AECA9-AC

I also have to share that I disliked some parts as they put a lot of stress on the Lego bricks, like the long plates (that end with the mixel plates) in the fuselage that are bent and not kept straight. But the most issues I had with connecting the brackets back-to-back. This is the best I could archief on the back. On the inner part I chose to leave out some bricks. Have other builders experienced this same issue?

9-C906-F78-6803-4533-B88-F-997389-C98-D9

Jerac, thanks for this building experience! The end result is so amazing!

Edited by kciR

19 hours ago, kciR said:

I also have to share that I disliked some parts as they put a lot of stress on the Lego bricks, like the long plates (that end with the mixel plates) in the fuselage that are bent and not kept straight. But the most issues I had with connecting the brackets back-to-back. This is the best I could archief on the back. On the inner part I chose to leave out some bricks. Have other builders experienced this same issue?

The bending in the nose section of the build, while not ideal, seemed a worthwhile tradeoff to maximize rigidity.

However, I agree that the brackets on the back of the fuselage were quite frustrating. There is so much tension in this area that I worry it will burst apart. This is an area I plan to rework in the future, even if doesn't look quite as accurate. 

Hi @Jerac, I'm just now taking a closer look at this and I'm curious what you're using as a reference for the X-wing proportions.  Your previous version looks like a pretty close match for the blueprint in the Owners' Workshop Manual, but the new one's a bit different - particularly the longer nose.  I don't completely trust the OWM (it led me slightly astray with my TIE Fighter) but it's hard to find more a definitive source.  The perspective in photos can be a nightmare, as you noted.

I kinda broke my internal rule of using only the movies as the source, and I took 3d models from rogue squadrons as a base. I figured out that replicating a game model would be easier and so yield better results than trying to replicate actual filming model, to which I can never get "proper" proportions. Creators of the game clearly did their job well and I would not be surprised if they got an access to the filming model for scanning or some other way of measuring it. 

OWM.. dunno which exact publication are you talking about, but at least some of them are utter, total... piece of fecal matter. They are completely wrong. 

Ah, ya I should have a look at those 3D models.  I was referring to this image:

81UpuTupQpL.jpg

It's not terrible, but there are some issues.  I've been looking for photos of original props, and came across an infuriatingly rare Japanese book that apparently has pages of prop photos for every X-wing model in ANH:

Book-Star-Wars-Chronicles-Vehicles-03.jp

It's annoying to know these photos exist and have no way to access them.  But there are a few good pictures shared here.  I think they'll be my main source if I ever get around to building my own X-wing.

Is your second X-wing closer to the proportions of the Rouge Squadrons model than your first version?

Does anyone have photos of this next to 75218 and 75301? it would be interesting to compare the size differences.

2 hours ago, 20feet said:

Ah, ya I should have a look at those 3D models.  I was referring to this image:

81UpuTupQpL.jpg

It's not terrible, but there are some issues.  I've been looking for photos of original props, and came across an infuriatingly rare Japanese book that apparently has pages of prop photos for every X-wing model in ANH:

Book-Star-Wars-Chronicles-Vehicles-03.jp

It's annoying to know these photos exist and have no way to access them.  But there are a few good pictures shared here.  I think they'll be my main source if I ever get around to building my own X-wing.

Is your second X-wing closer to the proportions of the Rouge Squadrons model than your first version?

You can find such photos googling for "<ship> studio model". But it won't help too much really, because they all have strong perspective and you can still operate only within one plane. So yes, you can figure out the length/height proportions of the fuselage, but not the engines (They are in a plane closer to the camera), and especially not the guns. 

That blueprint looks suspiciously close to the 3d model to be honest. If the book was published after squadrons I wouldn't be surprised if this was indeed a wireframe from the same model. Anyway, issues or not, replicating a consistent and nice model well is better than replicating a perfect model less well, I'd say. 

1 hour ago, Csaba said:

Does anyone have photos of this next to 75218 and 75301? it would be interesting to compare the size differences.

I couldn't find a model for 75301 but this might still help:

9dIZxP4.png

23 hours ago, Jerac said:

I couldn't find a model for 75301 but this might still help:

9dIZxP4.png

Thanks.

It's a lot closer than I expected.I thought 75218 was a lot longer.

Just posted this in the May the 4th Contest (with proper credit to Jerac, of course, and more pics), so now I can post my Arrr-Wing version of his great creation:

1280x960.jpg

As noted in my other thread, I had to redesign the rear portion of the las-cannons due to my color choice (could have used Bright Light Orange, but went with yellow.)  They're closer to some older designs, but different.  Also, completely modded the upper wings to attached the fused skull & cross bones.

Edited by carpandean

Whaaat :D

Awesome! Easily my favorite mod, alongside the classic-space one!

The coloring on the nose is particularly great!

1 hour ago, Jerac said:

Whaaat :D

Awesome! Easily my favorite mod, alongside the classic-space one!

The coloring on the nose is particularly great!

Thanks!  That really means a lot. :pir-huzzah2:

Standing on the shoulders of giants, as they say, but I was pretty happy with how it turned out.

15 hours ago, carpandean said:

Thanks!  That really means a lot. :pir-huzzah2:

Standing on the shoulders of giants, as they say, but I was pretty happy with how it turned out.

thats one tiny giant then :D

@kciR @Moppo

Since you both mentioned the bracket issue on the rear of the engine, could either of you look and see if this assembly solves the problem and is still relatively secure?  I figure since it's 'locked' in from the top and bottom then it should hold together reasonably well, especially since this isn't really a load-bearing component.

Studio_qrgtsFNKQ0.png

I have a pet peeve for stuff like this that stresses the bricks so wanted to see if I could solve the issue before I order parts for this build.

Edited by Monkeyulize

an issue I'm having is with the wings, only two of them (top left/bottom right) actually move and are locked in place when open/shut. The other two can be moved into the right positions by hand, but do not stay in that position if you apply force to them unlike the other two.

8 hours ago, AIex said:

an issue I'm having is with the wings, only two of them (top left/bottom right) actually move and are locked in place when open/shut. The other two can be moved into the right positions by hand, but do not stay in that position if you apply force to them unlike the other two.

I had the same issue occur...

On 6/22/2022 at 3:35 AM, AIex said:

On 6/22/2022 at 12:10 PM, MBricks said:

I had the same issue occur...

This sounds like a desynchronized core. Basically, this happens, if during building, you rotate one of the axles with worm gears on them. I do not mean a tiny rotation, I mean something like 180 degree turn or more.

You need to flip the model upside down, expose the smaller gears and return them by feel to the center of the rotation range - very roughly - and then reattach the center gear. Then it will be fixed.
Feeling that is pretty simple, the closer you are to the either end of the rotation range, the more force you need to turn those gears. So find a spot in the middle where they are completely loose and you'll be good to go.

Edited by Jerac

2 hours ago, Jerac said:

This sounds like a desynchronized core. Basically, this happens, if during building, you rotate one of the axles with worm gears on them. I do not mean a tiny rotation, I mean something like 180 degree turn or more.

You need to flip the model upside down, expose the smaller gears and return them by feel to the center of the rotation range is - very roughly - and then reattach the center gear. Then it will be fixed.
Feeling that is pretty simple, the closer you are to the either end of the rotation range, the more force you need to turn those gears. So find a spot in the middle where they are completely loose and you'll be good to go.

Easy fix! Thanks

On 6/28/2022 at 5:44 PM, Jerac said:

You need to flip the model upside down, expose the smaller gears and return them by feel to the center of the rotation range - very roughly - and then reattach the center gear. Then it will be fixed.

Thank you sire

On 2/23/2022 at 9:47 AM, Jerac said:

Please share it once you have it done, I am quite curious how will it look!

I've had so little time to myself in the last few months that it's taken much longer than I thought, but finally here's my version of this amazing MOC (sorry for the quality of the photo):

1280x960.jpg

Personally, the light bluish gray is the closest color to what we see in the OT in my opinion. But for display reasons, white was a better choice for me. Basically, it's going to be next to the Millennium Falcon, so if I want it to stand out visually, I knew I had to use another color.

Very happy with the result and the MOC itself is stunning and a real pleasure to build.

50 minutes ago, l0renZo said:

I've had so little time to myself in the last few months that it's taken much longer than I thought, but finally here's my version of this amazing MOC (sorry for the quality of the photo):

1280x960.jpg

Personally, the light bluish gray is the closest color to what we see in the OT in my opinion. But for display reasons, white was a better choice for me. Basically, it's going to be next to the Millennium Falcon, so if I want it to stand out visually, I knew I had to use another color.

Very happy with the result and the MOC itself is stunning and a real pleasure to build.

Oh this is exactly how I wanted mine to be. White with weathering. Looks perfect. Are you able to pm me about the parts list you used please?

11 hours ago, LDigital said:

Oh this is exactly how I wanted mine to be. White with weathering. Looks perfect. Are you able to pm me about the parts list you used please?

When you purchase @Jerac's package, it comes with part lists and instructions for four schemes.  This is basically (~98%) the "white" one with the 9 tan tiles (3 each of 1x2, 2x2 and 2x4) from the "dirty" (gray) one swapped in in the same places.  Plus, @l0renZo added some tan inverted 2 x 2's (inside of wings) and about 9 pieces (mostly tiles - 2x3, 2x2 and 1x2 visible, but at least one 4x2 wedge plate) in light bluish gray swapped for white here and there.

Edit: Also, some of the red "1 x" tiles and plates on the main stripe are changed to white like on the dirty one (well, those were changed to light bluish gray), too.  

Edited by carpandean