Jerac

[MOC] The Return of The X-Wing

There's a bit of a limitation for Hera, though. Can't fit a Twi'lek head in the seat. :P

You can try removing the tile from the seat (and the droid hand piece underneath), this gives you a bit more space. 
Less cushioning but the girl is strong, she'll survive it :D

Edited by Jerac

It was the space behind the head that I found was too small. I'll have to take another look.

Finished my white X-wing!

geZRlth.jpg

B1qUmro.jpg

Congrats to Jerac for such an amazing build. The wing mechanism works really well, the instructions were easy to follow, and it’s strong enough to be swooshed about. The only thing I didn’t really like was the front landing gear. Here is my modified version:

vLdKmGf.jpg

It uses the relatively new 2L bar with stop ring (78258) although it appears in most sets as a spare. The other parts are fairly common.

Just did the parting out from the old model and gathered the missing parts. @Jerac how on earth can a ship, that in it's essence is pretty much the same thing by the same designer have such a different part/lot inventory, most impressive! I am really looking forward to building V2 :)

Edited by neroart

2 hours ago, neroart said:

Just did the parting out from the old model and gathered the missing parts. @Jerac how on earth can a ship, that in it's essence is pretty much the same thing by the same designer have such a different part/lot inventory, most impressive! I am really looking forward to building V2 :)

51893160184_552f2bd2b6_h.jpg

3 years of feedback gathered from people helped A LOT ^^

Finally found the time to build this, and it did not disappoint. Compared to the A-Wing the build is significantly more complex, but the instructions are quite well done.

Jerac X-Wing & A-Wing

Spoiler

Jerac X-Wing & A-Wing

Jerac X-Wing & A-Wing

Jerac X-Wing & A-Wing

Edited by Brick-Wombat

1 hour ago, Hold0511 said:

They look great together Brick-Wombat....add a Y-wing and it would be a fab trio!

No doubt! Unfortunately, I'd need to do some major rearranging to make room for it. That thing isn't exactly compact. 

I noticed some others have had issues with the S-Foils not opening symmetrically. See BrickCats review here: 

Spoiler

CMIA1Ds.png

One way I found to avoid this before it's too late is as follows:

1. Install the wing mechanisms (A). 

2. Turn the tan gears counterclockwise until there is solid resistance. At this point the front and back wing mechanisms move independently from each other. 

3. Install the top assembly with the grey gear (B). The wing mechanisms are now linked and move together.

Since there is some initial slop between the black wormgears and small gears attached to the wing mechanism, this ensures that the worm gear engages the small gears in the front and back at the same point. 

JMcUkql.png

8laBJJq.png

At the end of the day, this is a minor issue. If the wings don't open symmetrically, you can adjust them by hand for display. However, if you're somehwat OCD like myself, I hope the above tips help. 

Edited by Brick-Wombat

Thanks for the guide. Generally, the way to ensure they are aligned correctly is to... do nothing. But I mean it. Don't turn the gears before they are connected, and you'll be good. 

I guess it is tempting and I should have left a note about that.

Looks really good! I'm not a fan of the clip on tile tech but I do really like the shape of the nose. I wonder if its more stable then Inthert's.

@Jerac  I ended up purchasing the plans for your great design and have some interesting ideas for color schemes.  Do you, by any chance, have this built in Studio?  I imported the parts, but couldn't even get through the first 50 steps (gear box) without a lot of difficulty in getting things aligned.  Even with manual adjustment and hinging, it wasn't quite working.  Plus, there were like 300 more steps :pir-murder:

I'm just looking for something to swap parts in to see how it will look.  If not, no biggie.  I can always just build the wings and exterior of the fuselage to play with.

Note: I'm new to Studio, so if there's something that I missed in the files provided that tells it how to put it together, let me know.

I did make this in studio but to be completely honest, I do not feel comfortable with sharing the "source files". I had a case when a shared .io file ended up being published in the web publicly. That said, maybe there is some particular issue I can help you with? 

I built the T-65v2 and T-70 over the weekend. They’re both amazing builds. They went together much easier than the T-65v1 and are much sturdier too. I didn’t have any trouble with the wing box on the T-70 but I had the same trouble with asymmetric opening of the T-65v2 wing box that’s been repeated earlier in the thread. The problem resolved itself after I cycled the wings a few times.

8 hours ago, Jerac said:

I did make this in studio but to be completely honest, I do not feel comfortable with sharing the "source files". I had a case when a shared .io file ended up being published in the web publicly. That said, maybe there is some particular issue I can help you with? 

I can understand and appreciate that.  You deserve the credit and $ for your hard work.

No worries.  Mostly, I had trouble getting the blue part to fit inside without hitting something:

X-Wing-Studio-Start-5.jpg.ab7dc5e4a9af5d6b2377b48f7b9dbfbe.jpg

I'll probably just end up skipping it, since it doesn't actually have to function.  Either way, I promise not to share it.  :pir-thumb:

I just aligned it manually. Sometimes you have to do that in studio. As in, switch the grid to densest type and align it until it fits. 

2 hours ago, Jerac said:

I just aligned it manually. Sometimes you have to do that in studio. As in, switch the grid to densest type and align it until it fits. 

That's what I tried, but always ended up with some kind of collision.  Perhaps my angle ("hinge") is off.

Sometimes you need to disable collisions to get something aligned just right. Then turn them back on.

10 hours ago, Moppo said:

Sometimes you need to disable collisions to get something aligned just right. Then turn them back on.

No matter how I move it, once I turn collisions back on, some are the parts turn to grayed out, black lined versions indicating there's a collision.  I can live with it, since it's on the inside, so I'll just move on to the rest.  My plan is to make visual tweaks before building, not to mess with Jerac's internals, so it should be sufficient.

I work with collisions disabled all the time. There are so many cases where real life solution works but doesn't in studio that it is not worth the hassle really.

13 hours ago, Jerac said:

I work with collisions disabled all the time. There are so many cases where real life solution works but doesn't in studio that it is not worth the hassle really.

I could see that ... especially once you're confident in what will actually work!

P.S.: Let me know if you want me to delete the photo that I posted above.

Edited by carpandean

5 hours ago, carpandean said:

I could see that ... especially once you're confident in what will actually work!

P.S.: Let me know if you want me to delete the photo that I posted above.

Naaah absolutely not. I just don't want the thing to be easy for chinese thieves and that's all. It is against their codex to do any work themselves so I don't expect them to reverse-engineer anything :D

I had originally planned on building it in white, but after playing around in Stud.io and looking at the original filming models, I decided that light blueish grey was the way to go. 

52024101939_453c196289_b.jpgGXren