Jerac

[MOC] The Return of The X-Wing

7 hours ago, danielwerner said:

Awesome as usual! I missed the detail about 50% for previous model owners, so I paid full price. However, I'm not gonna argue about 9 bucks so consider it a bonus. :D

Now to the big question: The clean or dirty look for the Red 5? And I assume most would prefer gray before white, right?

I'm going with the dirty one... I used to think the x-wing should be white but honestly I think gray is way more accurate... 

Looking good! I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to use 2x3 wedge plates so there would be few less studs? 

Just out of curiosity, are there any old parts being used in this new design that aren’t currently being produced?

2 hours ago, Jerac said:

Looking good! I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to use 2x3 wedge plates so there would be few less studs? 

Like this? Smoother is always nicer. :P

9UGLQPB.png

Like this!
Good job!

1 hour ago, Buckbeak05 said:

Just out of curiosity, are there any old parts being used in this new design that aren’t currently being produced?

That is not a super easy question to answer to be honest, as I look at general parts availability instead of what is currently produced. There should be no rare parts except for 12 tooth bevel gears, but those can be replaced with tan which are super cheap, or older 12-tooth pieces. Or even fully ignored. 
Aside from this I removed the old adventurers' wheels, an odd 1x1 round plate with towball and few other pieces which were problematic, so it should be far better.

On 2/24/2022 at 12:37 AM, Jerac said:

That is not a super easy question to answer to be honest, as I look at general parts availability instead of what is currently produced. There should be no rare parts except for 12 tooth bevel gears, but those can be replaced with tan which are super cheap, or older 12-tooth pieces. Or even fully ignored. 
Aside from this I removed the old adventurers' wheels, an odd 1x1 round plate with towball and few other pieces which were problematic, so it should be far better.

The parts were actually fairly easy to order. I went for the red and white X-Wing and it cost me just under £120 for all new parts (apart from those grey 12-tooth gears). I did end up using some of the parts from the official lego set 75301 which helped me out a bit, especially that cockpit piece.

There were quite a few of those 12 tooth bevel gears available on bricklink so they were fairly easy to get. I also decided to substitute the flat silver wheel pieces for light bluish grey as none of the stores I looked at seemed to sell more than one, and I also swapped out the inverted 1 x 3 tiles for normal plates (I’m not that bothered by the anti-studs). 

Once the pieces arrive, and when I have time to build it, I’ll upload some of the pictures!

@Jerac

Well, I've built it!

3tZVDx9.jpg

Another angle and in flight

Overall, I love it! Felt a bit apprehensive with some of the brackets being forced together, as I keep expecting them to pop out, and it took some time to get the wings aligned so they'd close as horizontally as possible.

Only malfunction I've had is a pair of 1x2 rail plates attached to a 1x4 tile popped off from the inside of a bottom engine when I opened the wings all the way. But I've learned some interesting connections, and might customise it further in the future to taste. :classic::thumbup:

Edited by Moppo

Nose is a tad droopy? Perhaps it can be lifted up? :D

This is a very nice livery and the ship shouldn't be unhappy and sad because of it!

I built mine last night, I'm really happy with it! I had built your version 1 previously, in the blue squadron coloring that came with the instructions, but this time I wanted to do something a little more unique, so I based this version 2 off the blue squadron livery in Star Wars: Squadrons! I think it came out really great, I especially like how the wings were able to be completely studless with this look. :laugh:

Fg7gtoL.jpg

fiPzZtW.jpg

OEe9Sa9.png

2 hours ago, Jerac said:

Looking good! So this is essentially t70 base color scheme applied to t65? 

Pretty much, yeah. What's interesting is that in the game, this livery is the only one that has the wings covered by mostly color and has the top stripe near the nose, while the other [insert color] squadron liveries look almost exactly like the rebel x-wing liveries as they're normally seen. So yeah, the resemblance to a T-70 seems intentional.

Sidenote: I felt using a 2x4 regular blue tile for the top stripe would way overstate how it looks, like it's not a thick stripe, so I made it sand-blue instead. 

9 hours ago, StephenBoe said:

Pretty much, yeah. What's interesting is that in the game, this livery is the only one that has the wings covered by mostly color and has the top stripe near the nose, while the other [insert color] squadron liveries look almost exactly like the rebel x-wing liveries as they're normally seen. So yeah, the resemblance to a T-70 seems intentional.

Sidenote: I felt using a 2x4 regular blue tile for the top stripe would way overstate how it looks, like it's not a thick stripe, so I made it sand-blue instead. 

Really nice, I love the more unusual color schemes. Great solution with the sand blue tile as well.

@Jerac On step 57 you add a 1x3 jumper and on step 65 you add a sub-build above the jumper.  It looks like you could attach to the larger build via the jumper, but it is one plate too low.  Is this an error or meant to leave a gap?

Edited by azanderk

49 minutes ago, azanderk said:

@Jerac On step 57 you add a 1x3 jumper and on step 65 you add a sub-build above the jumper.  It looks like you could attach to the larger build via the jumper, but it is one plate too low.  Is this an error or meant to leave a gap?

This is intended, the studs of 1x3 jumper are there to ensure the gap has constant depth, and it won't be noticeable in the final build because it will be obscured by structure to the side of the engine.

Think the livery I will do is Green 12 Wion Dillem from the Battle of Yavin.  No idea if this is accurate, but one of the few I could find online for Green Squadron.

Wion-Dillem-Green-12-X-Wing-2.png

Rebels-X-Wing.jpg

On 3/7/2022 at 12:24 PM, Themiddlebrick said:

Really nice, I love the more unusual color schemes. Great solution with the sand blue tile as well.

Thank you. :)

1 hour ago, azanderk said:

Think the livery I will do is Green 12 Wion Dillem from the Battle of Yavin.  No idea if this is accurate, but one of the few I could find online for Green Squadron.

Ooh I've never seen this paintjob before. Looking forward to seeing it built! 

14 hours ago, azanderk said:

Wion-Dillem-Green-12-X-Wing-2.png

Rebels-X-Wing.jpg

12 hours ago, StephenBoe said:

Thank you. :)

Ooh I've never seen this paintjob before. Looking forward to seeing it built! 

Come on now, if we're going green, why not go for Hera Syndulla's X-Wing?

giphy-downsized.gif

I bet green is going to be awesome!
This is a simple hue adjustment in photoshop but just look at it:

Obraz

Hey @Jerac

First of all, absolutely incredible remaster! Bravo, bravo, bravo! I've had my eye on your X-Wing for a while, but this latest release was the catalyst for me to order the instructions and buy the parts. I'll be going with the white & dark blue livery that BrickVault showcased with their Yavin base diaroma. 

With that said, I'm considering modding your MOC... please don't hurt me. *huh*

My personal bias always liked the cockpit in a more foward position like your T-70 model. I'm by NO means an expert on this matter, but a quick comparison against a schematics (30 second Google search) further exacerbated my bias. Per below, it looks like the cockpit is too close to the engines/wings... seemingly the result of the engines being too far foward. As much as two studs in places. I understand that perspective may be distorting the comparison here, but I'd love to hear your input on this. Do you foresee any issues if I try to add 2 studs in length between the cockpit and front of the engines?

Kind regards,

BW

Spoiler

0MCRsfd.png

I absolutely won't be angry :)

Just be careful because it is super easy to forget something when doing measurements comparision and this will blow everything up.

For example, you took a random schematic you found in 30 secs of googling. How do you know it is screen accurate?

gDpXWkS.png

It doesn't seem to match the trench run scene either. Especially bottom nose angle is super weird, and the cargo hatch is way, way way too steep. Curvature of the nose is also weird.
SW ship schematics coming from the official cross sections book are hideously wrong. About the worst source you can get. 

Another issue is that you are comparing an orthographic image with a perspective image. For example, you matched length of the model by matching from tip of the nose to end of the engine close to the camera. But let's pick the other engine, because why not:

TMksizu.png

...and everything changes. It is still wrong though ;)

Perspective is SUPER HARD to work with. 
You can basically only compare stuff which is on the same plane. So for this comparision to make sense, you should match from tip of the fuselage to the rear of the fuselage, and ignore engines as they are not on the same plane. Because they are closer to the camera, they appear bigger and longer.

wzi43fC.png

I marked correct lines with pink. As you can see, it is much more closer to my model and also about the same as on the frame from the movie.
...and also full of half a plate offsets which are a bane of each model designer, eh.

Edited by Jerac

Voilà! Thanks, Jerac. That was a much more comprehensive response than I was expecting. And I do appreciate that lego creations are a fantastic yet imperfect art.

In retrospect, if measuring to the engine, I should have measured to the midpoint of the foreground and backround engines from the 3D model to properly measure on the same plane.I was being lazy. Even then, it does make more sense to measure fuselage front to back. In either case, a remeasurement has made me MORE impressed with your scale and proportions! The only remaining perceptible difference to me is that the engine cowling is a smidge too long... albeit an unavoidable issue since that wheel piece is so perfect in every other regard.

Spoiler

T45S2gQ.png

I retract my previous misgivings. Your model is about as perfect dimensionally as one could ask for. Thanks again, and I can't wait to start assembly!

Nah I have no problem with constructive criticism. Sometimes it is right, sometimes less so, nothing wrong with that! And it is not really perfect, I just had no idea how to solve some things...

You can for example try to move wings one plate back. This is a very extensive rework and there were some structural issues I couldn't resolve, but maybe it could work for you. Think of it this way: Can the core (the 4x4x4 cube in the middle) be moved one plate forward in relation to the scissor wing system? If yes, then the wings along with engines will automatically be moved backwards one plate. 

On 3/10/2022 at 6:59 AM, elfprince13 said:

Come on now, if we're going green, why not go for Hera Syndulla's X-Wing?

giphy-downsized.gif

We really need a 2x4 half circle plate...  Part limitations for the engine are tough.

Hera-Green-X-Wing-3.png
rebel-assault-star-wars-rebels-01-2ba0e6