hadfiiw

[MOC] - 31203 Map of the USA

HI all!  First post here so hopefully this is in the correct forum...

I recently finished the 31203 World Map set and loved it.  Enjoyed it so much that I ordered a second set and am in the process of trying to make a custom map of the USA (where I live).

I found maps online that I want to use as the country/state outlines but I am having a problem trying to upscale it to fit the 40"x25" workable field.  Once I have an accurate outline of the country and individual states, I can free-hand the topographical colors via state maps I found online.

Has anybody attempted this before?  If so, how did you solve the upscale issue?

My first (failed) start:

IMG_8828.jpeg

Thanks!

Looks cool, try printing out an upscaled map on paper that then gets taped together. A YouTube by the name of Big Planes does this to make minifigure scale passenger planes. It might work here.

Finally have it (almost) done!

(ignore the large black canyon in the middle - I have more of the light green on order)

I also need to figure out how to get custom stickers made so the elevation key in the bottom right corner can be finished.

combined.jpeg

Edited by hadfiiw

It look pretty good. I also started building custom map out of this set but never finished it. It is pity that you used extra parts so your map can't be built out of one set 31203.

Another way to do mosaics is to take a high resolution image, crop it to the relevant dimensions, then reduce the image size to however many pixels you have studs wide x high. That is how I used to do plans for mosaics a couple of decades ago!