evancelt

[MOC] Onward Into The Sierras

As the first of the wagons headed into the shadows of the Sierras, the wagon train captain shuddered a little to himself.

They were a little late in the season to be headed for Donner Pass.

His old wound from the Mexican war was acting up and that meant weather.

mini-wagon-train.jpg

This might be one of the best microbuilds I've ever seen.  It's incredible that such tiny pieces can create this powerful of a scene, full of detail and beauty.  I especially like the way you did the clouds.

It's a very beautiful landscape and the covered wagons look great.

Beautiful scene of a macabre setting. Those covered wagons look incredible! And you managed to produce some of the steep and rugged terrain. I really like the colors as well. I'm not entirely sold on the clip hands as horses/oxen, but at this tiny scale I don't know how you could do better - maybe the 1.5 stud long modified round plate with handle?

And to think the real trail was supposed to be a "shortcut" through the desert and mountains that had never even been tested by wagons, and proved exceedingly difficult and caused many delays, hence the party being trapped there during the fateful winter...

51 minutes ago, GeoBrick said:

A "gorge"ous setting, evencelt.

I concur, that is a gorgeous build, man. Wow! The color palette is stunning. So diverse, yet it all comes together. Truly beautiful with excellent part use. The clouds especially stand out to me.

On 2/19/2022 at 1:20 AM, Phyre said:

This might be one of the best microbuilds I've ever seen.  It's incredible that such tiny pieces can create this powerful of a scene, full of detail and beauty.  I especially like the way you did the clouds.

Thanks! Yeah those clouds are super fun - I saw a build on Flickr where that technique was used to make a whole round cloud around the top of a micro volcano

On 2/19/2022 at 9:02 AM, NOD said:

It's a very beautiful landscape and the covered wagons look great.

Thanks!

15 hours ago, Guyinaplaguemask said:

Very nice, I like the wagons, but I have a question. What are the minifig hands, they don't look like anything except hands to me. Are they supposed to be oxen or horses?

Yeah the horses definitely gave me the most difficulty! I tried the hands the other direction and also with the fingers on their side - this was the best of the three options. Also tried mini pins, but this seemed to be the best element size-wise

15 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Great moc! Beautiful landscape and colors.

Thanks!

12 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

Beautiful scene of a macabre setting. Those covered wagons look incredible! And you managed to produce some of the steep and rugged terrain. I really like the colors as well. I'm not entirely sold on the clip hands as horses/oxen, but at this tiny scale I don't know how you could do better - maybe the 1.5 stud long modified round plate with handle?

And to think the real trail was supposed to be a "shortcut" through the desert and mountains that had never even been tested by wagons, and proved exceedingly difficult and caused many delays, hence the party being trapped there during the fateful winter...

Haha thanks! I made the build before thinking up a story to go along with the build, so I'm sure there are some issues with calling it Donner Pass!

3 hours ago, GeoBrick said:

A "gorge"ous setting, evencelt.

Haha thanks

2 hours ago, Khorne said:

I concur, that is a gorgeous build, man. Wow! The color palette is stunning. So diverse, yet it all comes together. Truly beautiful with excellent part use. The clouds especially stand out to me.

Thanks! I put my trust in the TLG color palette and used bright light yellow, bright light orange, bright light blue - figured 'bright light' would carry it through :pir-grin:

Also dark orange, orange, yellow, red mixed in

1 hour ago, Brickwolf said:

Great micro, I really like color of the mountains (mauve?).

Thanks! It's medium lavender - purple mountain majesty!

37 minutes ago, evancelt said:

I made the build before thinking up a story to go along with the build, so I'm sure there are some issues with calling it Donner Pass!

No issues from me. I think the build fits the real story well.

39 minutes ago, evancelt said:

purple mountain majesty!

First thing I thought when I saw them! Do you live in the mountains in CO? The Blue Ridge Mountains dominate the western skyline where I live.

2 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

First thing I thought when I saw them! Do you live in the mountains in CO? The Blue Ridge Mountains dominate the western skyline where I live.

Nice! The "frontrange" of mountains here in CO dominate the western skyline for me - they are mostly red sandstone.

Here are the flatirons last Wednesday following a snowstorm

colorado-mountains-winter-2022.png

Superb wagon train. You captured the scenery perfectly in micro scale. The ability to recreate a Conestoga wagon in 3 pieces is excellent. I like how you've got them headed to Donner Pass with weather closing in. Not a good combination.

2 minutes ago, Feuer Zug said:

Superb wagon train. You captured the scenery perfectly in micro scale. The ability to recreate a Conestoga wagon in 3 pieces is excellent. I like how you've got them headed to Donner Pass with weather closing in. Not a good combination.

Haha thanks @Feuer Zug!

overheard on the trail:

"I hear the Donner's are having a real party up there in the pass. Wonder if they'll let us join in."

(Sorry, the above joke was just screaming to be made, so I had no choice. Apologies if I offended anyone.)

Awesome MOC!

Edited by Murdoch17

14 hours ago, Guyinaplaguemask said:

Congrats on the frontpage

14 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

overheard on the trail:

"I hear the Donner's are having a real party up there in the pass. Wonder if they'll let us join in."

(Sorry, the above joke was just screaming to be made, so I had no choice. Apologies if I offended anyone.)

Awesome MOC!

Thanks! And thanks for the frontpag-ing!

5 hours ago, evancelt said:

Thanks! And thanks for the frontpag-ing!

It wasn't me! (I'm not a Moderator.)

55 minutes ago, Murdoch17 said:

It wasn't me! (I'm not a Moderator.)

:) Just a general thanks!

This is really superb. The caverns are so elegant, and I love the colors! Really like the clouds lower than the mountain tops too.

I love your microbuild. Love the color scheme and most of all I really like how you made those small wagons. Great build!

21 hours ago, Zepher said:

This is really superb. The caverns are so elegant, and I love the colors! Really like the clouds lower than the mountain tops too.

Thanks @Zepher! Yes I thought the clouds below the mountain peaks would add some more depth!

18 minutes ago, sveder said:

I love your microbuild. Love the color scheme and most of all I really like how you made those small wagons. Great build!

Thanks @sveder! Yes once I put the 1x1 rounds on the skates I was blown away by how much they looked like little covered wagons

I just saw this one with my daughter (she's here with me now) - our compliments for this fantastic small theme! 

We like a lot how you rendered the wagons!  :pir-love:

Ciao!

Davide