Jundis

[MOC] Mecalac 12MTX - Finished

23 hours ago, Jurss said:

Just make it relaying on some pin friction.

21 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

Yeah, that and two of these.

53586.png

Thanks guys, this actually never crossed my mind! Will try this one :)

Hi guys,

finally found some free time to continue this build. Thanks to @Thirdwigg I fit in the oscillating arm.

Now only the cabin is left to do. Right now, only this transparent seem to fit, but I can't put transparent pieces on the door... still tinkering... :D

What do you guys think about: Transparent pieces yay or ney?

Here is the current state. The shapes couldn't be made by technic pieces, so I try my first steps with system bricks:

Test4.png

Test5.png

I like it! I think the transparent bricks work well for the system style you have going on.

I'm happy the oscillating arm idea worked for you.

Finally managed to finish this model... it took way more iterations in the end than I thought and would have liked... :D

Here are some pics:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Thanks again for the idea of the fake linear actuator @Jurss & @Thirdwigg !

3.jpg

8.jpg

4.jpg

I just added accents onto the engine for @SaperPL :D

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

To resume: I have mixed feelings about this. The mechanics work really nice and the overall scale and shape is to my liking BUT:

I think I will not touch system bricks for the modeling of bigger assemblies in a while. I really didn't like the tinkering, finding the perfect pieces for each curve/contour/angle. It also is kind of odd, but the stability of the brick-built canopy is not that great as I hoped it would be, had to stabilize the roof further and now the technic figure wont fit... I don't see a better solution with pure technic building style for this model, but still, it somehow doesn't fit my building style. On the other hand: What I really like is the shape of the rear with just little brick build accents.

Of course, system parts improves look, the way it would be almost impossible with pure technic. It is OK. I just don't get why You didn't made roof with some flat surface, and left those pins exposed?

I like also details on engine, and door mechanism simplicity is impressive.

Fantastic work, and I'm happy I was able to give a little inspiration! I like the system bricks, but only for the yellow parts. The black parts of the cab would be fine without any system bricks. I love the sliding door on the cab.

The range of motion on the arm is great, and the extra feature of the side bending arm is a perfect addition. 

Great job!

Thanks guys :-)

8 hours ago, Jurss said:

You didn't made roof with some flat surface, and left those pins exposed? 

You mean covering the roof with tiles? This would mean another layer and making the roof even bulkier than it already is... :-/

Why oh why did I miss this until now? *huh*

What a gorgeous model - I love every single thing about it, from the sheer boatload of functions down to the tiniest aesthetic detail. This would be a phenomenal official set with massive educational value.

Bloody well done, Jundis :blush:

Extraodrinary build my friend. Sorry for late response, i had so much to do last few weeks, but from november I would have time for Lego.

Thx @eric trax !

Yeah, it really surprised me it fitted so well, although a bigger opening gap couldn't be done unless a more fancy/instable mechanism is used.

I also have to step in and congratulate the build.  Smaller scale, but the planning and execution are terrific.  Great functions and looks in an appropriately sized package.  Well done.