jb70

10294 Titanic MODs and Improvements

I would like to pimp up my Titanic!

So let's start to collect some MODs and Improvements to the gigantic 10294 Titanic set.

Who ever likes to contribute to this topic, here is an OMR compliant digital MPD file of this set, I made in the last weeks: 10294 - Titanic.mpd

10294%20-%20Titanic.png

I am working on these MODs:

• Putting her on wheels
  • Make her RC controlled with Powered UP controls and motors
  • Needs min. 4 axles to carry the weight of near 10kg
  • 1 straight axle in the front and 3 coordinated steering axles in the back, I think that would come close to a ship maneuvering in water
  • The rudder shall move synchronized to the steering
  • Propellers and steam engines are connected to the drive train and move according to the speed of the ship

10294%20-%20Pimp%20up%20my%20Titanic_ren

Edited by jb70

4 hours ago, jb70 said:

• 1 straight axle in the front and 3 coordinated steering axles in the back, I think that would come close to a ship maneuvering in water
  • The rudder shall move synchronized to the steering
  • Propellers and steam engines are connected to the drive train and move according to the speed of the ship

...if you are trying to simulate a ship maneuvering in water... then it might be a good idea to get rid of that part of the hull which is usually under the water? including the rudder and the propellers... 

otherwise there's a high risk of "looking just strange"

Very excited to see this. In fact, I think I will follow. I have thought about getting this set, and all the modifications that could be done to it.  If there is going to be a PIMP my titanic thread, then I definitely will be getting the set.  

The mods that I am going to do are not so much for improvement but rather to add something that it was not initially designed for, like your remote controlling it.  Great stuff.  I will keep a close eye...

How many batteries, how many motors? I'm thinking it's going to take a lot to make this move. Planetary hubs probably a good way to get the necessary reduction.

37 minutes ago, williamyzfr1 said:

I was hoping this thread would be about improving realism NOT putting the model on wheels

Who says it can’t be both?

Hey Everyone! I'm new to the forum but have long been reading posts on it. Some of you mentioned historical accuracy mods you were interested in... here are some I've been doing. I'm no expert, am just referring to any images I can find from trustworthy sources. Basic screenshots and descriptions are below. FYI, I'm using a different file than the one mentioned above... it's far from perfect but good enough.

Titanic-Mods-Screenshot-01.png

^^ Addition of small 1x1  bracket above anchors, changes in portholes along the front, the addition of more windows/doors below the bridge. Addition of a third column there as well.

Titanic-Mods-Screenshot-02.png

^^ hard to see, but adjusted the top-level window spacing to be smaller. Increased density of windows for one part of the second-level section. Adding "Double layer" of portholes on the top layer of the black section... still toying around with the best way to do this. I adjusted the middle layer of the portholes to no longer be offset by one.

Titanic-Mods-Screenshot-03.png

^^ More of the same from the image above, plus another change in the portholes to better match available imagery.

Titanic-Mods-Screenshot-04.png

^^ More porthole changes on the back. Also looking at cargo bay size adjustments. 

Notable mentions:

I'm also running "floor board" tile pieces along the inside of the walkway on the top level.

I'm also adjusting the colors of visible interior bricks to be black so they are less noticeable when the light kit is applied.

Edited by seridus

@jbuccino and me added some videos showing the Pimp up my Titanic in operation:

Fun fact:
You can even connect the front module directly with the rear module leaving out the middle section to get a short 2-chimney Titanic :head_back:

Ha!  Great stuff... how many motors did you use?   L, XL?   Any possibility of getting some details of the steering, axles, and perhaps the reduction you used to drive/steer this beast?