Ayrlego

Flower of the Lotus - Mini Challenge - RESULTS POSTED

My entry for Cat1A. Not that Eslandola is in war with the Lotus Empire, but it is a cool challenge :pir-huzzah2:

A shame we didn't see any more ships submitted (I think Bodi's was the only submission?), but I have an attempt at a Japanese Atakebune for the Monomonto that I am hoping to post today. I'll post it here despite the deadline.

In my research, I was again surprised how little we know about Chinese and Japanese historical ships, and how hard the ones you can find are to build! The highlight of mine is definitely the "working" ballista on deck. The rest isn't, from a Lego or shipbuilding perspective, particularly interesting, even of reasonably accurate to sources. :pir-classic: (TL;DR: The atakebune is a boring ship :pir_tong2:)

7 hours ago, Bregir said:

A shame we didn't see any more ships submitted (I think Bodi's was the only submission?), but I have an attempt at a Japanese Atakebune for the Monomonto that I am hoping to post today. I'll post it here despite the deadline.

In my research, I was again surprised how little we know about Chinese and Japanese historical ships, and how hard the ones you can find are to build! The highlight of mine is definitely the "working" ballista on deck. The rest isn't, from a Lego or shipbuilding perspective, particularly interesting, even of reasonably accurate to sources. :pir-classic: (TL;DR: The atakebune is a boring ship :pir_tong2:)

Agreed. Just learning enough to pic one for a MOC soaked up a bit of my dwindling free time. It was a great challenge but I, personally, coulda used another month to research and build.

On 5/2/2022 at 10:56 AM, Bregir said:

I started designing a ship for Monomonto in Stud.io with the intention to build it IRL as a submission for the Challenge, but ran into time constraints due to a myriad of reasons, chief amongst those a new round of renovations in my house, which took (or takes) a large bite out of my available budget and time :sceptic:.

I love the monolithic "fortress on sea" look of Japanese Atakebunes and the likes, or those massive Chinese ships, but I knew my collection was far too limited to ever make anything of such scale. Plus, while BOBS is largely inspired by real-life cultures, there's also an element of fantasy. So, with that in mind my ship was a mixture of real-life Atakebune fortress-style, combined with the idea of Avatar's Fire Nation ships which transports troops and have a loading base in the bow.

52055979066_9749cdeb79_c.jpg

The design is like 90% finished, save for details. I was going to add some swivel guns, small cannons or some type of ballista for defense. Perhaps also some type of sails for propulsion, because unlike Avatar's version, there's no steam power in BOBS.

3 hours ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Where can we find the results?

They have not been announced yet, but the deadline ended weeks ago

Edited by Justsomebrix

1 hour ago, Justsomebrix said:

They have not been announced yet, but the deadline ended weeks ago

That's why I'm asking - everyone, not just you.

Flower of the Lotus - Mini Challenge - Results

Category One - Fig Barf!

Category one had a lot of really great and creative minifigs and the competition was quick close between some of the entries. Overall, Oleon came out in the lead with not only the most entries (by one!) but also in total score. Well done Oleon! As the reward, Oleon receives one extra experience point to be applied to a single selected commander when fighting against the Lotii or their allies on El Oleonda.

Entries which note a special mention in Category A include: Perise Mercenary Troupe @Jeff of Clubs , Yellow Banner Troops @merc , The Blue Banner answers the call @Khorne , The Happy Bunch @Captain Braunsfeld , Heavy troops of the Lotus @Bregir , Spectres and Soldiers @Spud The Viking

Category Two - War Junk!

Despite Lotus warship @Bodi being the only entry, it didn't just win by default. An elegant and beautiful vessel, this entry was superb in all ways! As winner, Bodi will be rewarded with a license for a class 4 un-MOC'ed ship. This un-MOC'd ship may be used for the tMRCA but can not be sister-shipped if lost.

Please let me know any feedback you have for this mini-challenge (apart from we want the results quicker! that was totally my fault!) - do we want more fig-barfs? Any ideas for a new mini-challenge etc.

Congratulations to the winners!

I really enjoyed this challenge as it was a break from the traditional troops and cultures of player nations.

More figbarfs would be excellent, but definitely as a lesser part of the challenge (scenes definitely give more story and interest imo) :pir-sweet:

Congrats and thanks for the mention! Fig-Barfs are good fun but most of us do it on our own anyways and now that we did a Lotii one, it seems there would be rehashes of mocs we would build anyways. Perhaps something that could give us a better lay of the land? A reconnaissance or surveying mission in the New Haven Sea that would translate into a microbuild challenge? 16x16 or even 32x32?

Edited by Jeff of Clubs

Thank you guys for your efforts in reviewing all the entries. I'm glad for this unconstested win.

22 hours ago, Jeff of Clubs said:

Congrats and thanks for the mention! Fig-Barfs are good fun but most of us do it on our own anyways and now that we did a Lotii one, it seems there would be rehashes of mocs we would build anyways. Perhaps something that could give us a better lay of the land? A reconnaissance or surveying mission in the New Haven Sea that would translate into a microbuild challenge? 16x16 or even 32x32?

I second this

Congrats to all winners!