Svelte

Indy Contest - Secret of the Silver Swan - extended mix

theaterindex.gif

silvertitle.jpg

Indiana Jones and the Secret of the Silver Swan

It is 1938 and Europe is on the eve of battle. The industrial war-mills of Nazi Germany billow black smoke across half a continent. So far the effect of the Nazi menace has not yet threatened England’s green and pleasant shores. At St Cedd.’s College, Cambridge, Dr Indiana Jones is taking a well-deserved sabbatical and visiting his old colleague, Professor Edgar Turnweather and his daughter and assistant, the auburn-haired and tempestuous Felicity. One of Turnweather’s recent archaelogical digs at an ancient Stone Circle near Salisbury has uncovered evidence of the existence of a supposedly legendary Celtic artifact – the Silver Swan. In Celtic tradition, the Swan was a shape-shifter who could take human form – indeed, the typical tale of the swan maiden who is forced to marry a mortal is common in many folklores. Amongst Druids however, the Swan also represents the soul and is associated with All Hallow’s Eve, the Festival of Samhain, also known as the Devil. The swan is also believed to assist passage between worlds.

Little does Professor Turnweather know that his research into the Druidic cults is of particular interest to the supernaturally-influenced higher echelons of the Nazi Party, who believe that the Silver Swan’s transformative powers may assist them in the coming war. What better secret agent than one who can change from man to bird and back again? And indeed, what better way to insure victory than to open a gateway between dimensions and strike a deal with the Devil himself? Nazi spies have been dispatched to keep a close eye on Turnweather and his friends.

Meanwhile, Indiana Jones has been fending off the advances of Felicity Turnweather, not wanting raise the ire of his old friend the Professor. Spurned, the hot-headed Felicity storms off to investigate the Stone Circle site all on her lonesome. When she fails to return by midnight, Indiana suddenly becomes worried. What if reports of recent Druidic activity are true? Could it be that the Druids age-old practice of blood sacrifice is being resurrected at Salisbury? And what is the significance of the mysterious solid silver swan statue which Indy has found concealed in Felicity’s study?

Indy arrives at the Stone Circle in the early hours of the morning. The site is abandoned, save for the cooing of the owls and the squeaking of local bats:

1-stonecircle-alternateangl.jpg

Unable to see a clear path to the Circle, he uses his whip to fasten onto a gnarled branch and drags himself up to the abandoned circle:

1-stonecircle-aattempttocli.jpg

Where is Felicity? The earth seems to rumble slightly beneath his feet. He listens closely... is that chanting? He approaches the stone altar in the centre of the circle. Tracing his fingers over engraved imprints on the stone, he realises that the marks match the design of the Silver Swan statue left in Felicity's room. Quickly he positions the glinting artefact in the middle of the stone table...

1-stonecircle-abjttop.jpg

Closeup of the Swan (made from all metallic silver pieces bar one pearl silver tooth):

1-stonecircle-abk-bird.jpg

Excited, Indy does not notice that a motorbike has pulled up in the clearing below. Klaus Krankenherzen, Nazi agent, switches off the ignition and pulls out his pistol, ready to ambush the meddlesome American:

1-stonecircle-abike.jpg

Up above, the stone table in the centre of the circle rumbles and cracks open. Indy grabs the Silver Swan and drops through the secret passage which has suddenly been revealed:

1-stonecircle-abjtv-alternateopen.jpg

He finds himself in a warmly lit subterranean temple, the stone walls drooping with vines. Two Druids have tied Felicity to a stone bench and dressed her in sacrificial white robes. The female Druid leader raises a glinting blade above Felicity's chest. 'In the name of Samhain, take the blood of this innocent and reveal yourself to us, O Dark Lord!' screams the Druidess.

2-sacrificezoomed.jpg

Back view of the temple:

4-rearview.jpg

4-rearviewtempleinterior.jpg

Indy uses his whip to deftly flick the dagger away. He knocks a sconce from the wall and sets the straw-covered floor of the temple on fire. Amidst the flames and confusion, he spies an exit hewn from the rock of the rear temple wall. He grabs Felicity and bundles her to safety:

3-escape.jpg

Indy and Felicity follow the gloomy tunnel through the rockface. Glimpsing moonlight, Indy pushes aside the undergrowth and the pair find themselves at the exit of the secret passage, located just below the Stone Circle itself.

3-fescapecloseup.jpg

'You took your time!' yells Felicity.

'Lady - you should be grateful I came at all,' Indy says laconically.

'Really?' purrs Felicity. 'Why? What else is that whip handy for?'

'Enough chatter!' snaps Klaus as he steps from the shadows, aiming his pistol squarely at Felicity. 'Now, Dr Jones, you will hand the Silver Swan to me...'

Design notes:

* Stone table really opens to reveal subterranean temple!

1-stonecirclemerged.jpg

* Altar piece lifts off for easy access to temple interior!

1-stonecirclemerged2.jpg

* The escape passage seen at the rear of the temple interior does actually connect to the exit as seen here:

3-gescapeclosed.jpg

The foliage is hinged on a shortened technic pin:

3-gescapeopen.jpg

* Director's cut - alternate sacrifice scene!

5-alternasacrifice.jpg

Edited by ImperialShadows

wow! :oh3: you should be proud of yourself for making that! stonehenge: a great idea!

those are very detailed walls. that druids face looks so evil! :skull:

just as brilliant as your sea base!

wow! :oh3: you should be proud of yourself for making that! stonehenge: a great idea!

those are very detailed walls. that druids face looks so evil! :skull:

just as brilliant as your sea base!

I completely agree!

Nice MOC, svelte_corps! Looks like I see a "clear winner!"

I love the stone table feature, though it seems like you stole it from Narnia. Were you reminded of Stone Henge when you built that alter?

Good job :thumbup: !

This truly is a brilliant MOC. That silver swan looks fantastic and the scene as a whole just looks stunning. I love the contrast of the SNOTty stones and the studdy ground. Simply marvelous work.

Thanks for all your kind comments, guys. They are much appreciated.

Adam, I wasn't deliberately thinking of Narnia but probably subconsciosly the influence is there - the stone table cracking is the giveaway I think :wink:

Plural, I am glad you noticed the contrast between the studdy ground and smooth walls - I wanted the terrain to be rough and exposed on the top of the hill with the circle - blasted by wind and suchlike - and a bit softer below the cliff.

BTW, the plot written isn't supposed to be of the whole movie, just the introductory act - I might edit my entry to make this clearer.

I look forward to seeing everyone else's entries - only a few days to go! Woo! :classic:

Edited by svelte_corps

Now this is cool. Such a great display, with so many play features and great detailing. An awesome story to go along with it as well, now I want to see this made into a movie! :laugh: A great MOC, svelte_corps! :thumbup: :thumbup:

~Peace

Brilliant moc svelte-corps, i love your artifact and story, very original, and to make something entirely out of silver is very cool. The moc itself is wonderful, a little square but still great. The features you include in your mocs are great too, I love the alter that splits and can be removed. The chamber down below is also very nice, love the tan look of it with the growth as well. The brilliant touches like the skeleton in the hole and exit with foliage lift the whole moc in my opinion. The "stone henge" at the top is also very neat, a classic Indy location. Love the tree too, could we get a better shot of that? A very good story too, and great figs, I love the use of Poison Ivy torso, your definitely down for my vote so far.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

Really great job, from what I've seen, you have one of the best entries, if not the best. My only advice would be... don't change anything. Yeah...

Thanks for all your comments guys, and to Sinner for the contest. It was really fun.

Good luck to everyone and don't forget to vote! :classic:

Sweet MOC! I really like the stonehenge, the awesome silver swan and the interior. The opening stone table is ingenious, I really like the detail and your skill at character development. Plus, Felicity looks incredibly sexy in that tight-fitting white number... :grin: kidding (or so you think). A job well done! It got my vote.