Rusty43

More powerful motors for Lego Tech +

Hello

Firstly I hope I am in the correct section to ask a question which is :-

I have built the Volvo 6x6, Merc 4x4 and the Cat D Excavator but they do not move as fast as I would like , can anyone advise me if Lego or any other affiliated company sell more powerful motors in order that I can replace the present ones.

I realise it means dismantling and a rebuild 

Thanx in anticipation for your answers

Regards

Sadly I don't know of any direct replacements, we've been wanting faster motors for years.

You can get more powerful and/or faster motors from Chinabricks makers, but so far mostly only for power functions because Lego has copy protected the PU socket.

What I think you really need is higher voltage batteries. There are threads in here about that, this video may be a good starting place.

Alternatively, most/all those models could be rebuilt with a buwizz 3 power unit. That would boost you from 9v (7.2v with rechargeable batteries) to 12v.

Finally - you may have too high expectations. This is a brick toy which can also move, it's not really an RC toy. Give it too much speed/power, and you quickly find the limits of ABS bricks.

Edited by amorti

These are not sports cars or something also in real life.

For some of them You can try to change also gearing little bit

If you could make your own models, the buggy motor, BuWizz or china replacements for this is an option. But they do not work with the PU system. For your own models, I would suggest you buy a BuWizz 2 or 3 with one of their buggy motors and a few second hand PF (Power Functions - what we had before PU) motors (at least 1 servo). This will give you a good start for mocing all kind of high speed models.

Just have a look around in this forum and you will find many good examples.

_ED_

Edited by Nazgarot

I was thinking of suggesting Buwizz/buggy motor type thing but he'd have to write his own code that works the gearbox and redesign for the completely different shape of motors. Might as well build a MOC at that point. The different batteries might be a good option. Or just use pneumatics :grin:

You could try adapting RC brushless motors and their associated controllers and power source to work with LEGO.

5 hours ago, 1963maniac said:

What about gearing for more torque?

Would be the opposite of what @Rusty43 like to achieve... More speed means less torque.