Csaba

Brick Vault Minifig Scale Slave 1

I just had an email about Brick Vault's new set. The instructions are $50 and they estimate that the pieces cost $950 - $1100 so it isn't cheap.

It looks smoother than the official UCS set so it would be interesting to see them next to each other.

Slave_1_MOC_Store_Photos_03_1120x1120.pn

19 minutes ago, Guyinaplaguemask said:

Side note: is the UCS Slave 1 not minifig scale?

It's more or less minifig scale. The cockpit is always bigger when we see inside the ship but, I get the impression they give the ship Tardis qualities when they make the sets. 

The Brick Vault version has more than double the number of pieces of the UCS version. From looking at the pictures, this might be due to replacing a few large pieces with lots of small pieces rather than increasing the size of the ship.

The windscreen from the UCS ship goes for stupid amounts so I'm not sure how they'll get around that issue.

Edited by Csaba

This does look incredible. The UCS one still looks good to this day. I would be interested in seeing how many parts the ucs shares other than the windshield

5 hours ago, Csaba said:

It's more or less minifig scale. The cockpit is always bigger when we see inside the ship but, I get the impression they give the ship Tardis qualities when they make the sets. 

The Brick Vault version has more than double the number of pieces of the UCS version. From looking at the pictures, this might be due to replacing a few large pieces with lots of small pieces rather than increasing the size of the ship.

The windscreen from the UCS ship goes for stupid amounts so I'm not sure how they'll get around that issue.

Wow I had no idea the windscreen was being sold for that much!

I always thought the front/top dark red part of the slave 1 UCS looked pretty odd with the combination of pieces they used and this looks way better

14 hours ago, LDigital said:

This does look incredible. The UCS one still looks good to this day. I would be interested in seeing how many parts the ucs shares other than the windshield

Yup second that, the only way I'd be able to do this version is parting the USC set into it.

15 hours ago, LDigital said:

Around 16% per one of the designers on instagram

Yeah I'm also waiting for some info on sturdiness and stability. This is the closest thing to a perfect Lego Slave I I've seen, but it's unfortunately a no go for me if it falls apart by looking at it.

6 hours ago, MAVERICK26 said:

They're offering a brick - built version as well (the one on the right has the official windscreen).

I noticed this, but personally, I feel like it would be a shame to spend all the time and money to build this beautifully detailed and accurate moc only to have to use a brick-built windshield that IMO doesn't meet the standards of the rest of the design. It's not just the price of the windscreen but also the scarcity, as evidenced by the bricklink listings. 

Not to take anything away from this amazing design though - it is a truly beautiful creation! 

6 hours ago, Themiddlebrick said:

I noticed this, but personally, I feel like it would be a shame to spend all the time and money to build this beautifully detailed and accurate moc only to have to use a brick-built windshield that IMO doesn't meet the standards of the rest of the design. It's not just the price of the windscreen but also the scarcity, as evidenced by the bricklink listings. 

Not to take anything away from this amazing design though - it is a truly beautiful creation! 

This is definitely true - I just wanted to point out that they do offer two options, per usual.

Anybody built it yet? I am still contemplating whether to buy the instructions or not. wouldn't mind scrapping the parts from the ucs set but 16% is really not much. And with the Slave 1s specific colorscheme I am not so sure how much I can get the total price down with my own lego stash...and >500€ only to replace the (also good looking) ucs....decisions decisions...

Edited by neroart

On 2/13/2022 at 1:04 PM, Csaba said:

The picture in the first post clearly shows an alternate version with a brick-built windscreen.

In the instructions they also have a version with a black spray painted windshield, originally purple. 

Couldn't resist, instructions bought....

Considering there are specific instructions on where to grab it when lifting (only in two areas and with both hands), and it is recommended to build a temporary stand for building the backside, and there is an additional instruction video on how to build the cockpit, i would say it is most probably a non swooshable (gorgeous) display model. 

On 4/24/2022 at 9:50 PM, Guyinaplaguemask said:

They didn't do the durability test with this one. I dont know if that says something about how sturdy it is.

One of my friends thinks that some of the building techniques are similar to those used in the AAT, which was a "ball ache" to put together on a significantly smaller vehicle.

It looks amazing but, I'll stick with my UCS version.