NoOneOfImportance

Ongoing Transformers Rumors and Discussion

I don't like the eyes, but everything else looks good. I like that it looks like a transformer toy from a distance.

1 hour ago, wollolo said:

Looks like a set straight from 90ies. But not in a good way.

I think I agree. It just feels a bit... bland? I understand that they're going for the classic look, but is it too basic at this scale? Would some more detailing spoil it? Or maybe it's the proportions of the windscreen windows - and window proportions are often an issue with LEGO. Or maybe it's just that I'm a lot older and modern media is less flat and brightly coloured as it was back in the day. Would like to see some more reviews and images of it.

3 hours ago, wollolo said:

And 180 Euro for 1500 standard looking pieces without any minifigs or many special and big pieces is just laughable...

I wouldn't be surprised if the licensing costs for a set like this were substantial. Hasbro is more or less a direct competitor to Lego in a lot of ways—I doubt they signed over the rights to a character of theirs unless they were confident they wouldn't be getting the raw end of the deal. Personally before rumors of this started appearing from reliable sources, I wouldn't have really expected a partnership like this to get off the ground at all.

EDIT: Actually when I think about it this might require licensing from Takara as well (the Japanese company that produced the original Optimus Prime toy, and produces non-Lego Transformers toys in partnership with Hasbro). I'm not 100% sure how the licensing rights would shake out for something like this—I'll be interested in checking out the trademark info on the bottom of the box when this set hits stores.

Edited by Lyichir

4 minutes ago, Takanuinuva said:

So anyone happen to know the song used in the tweet?

No idea. A lot of Lego's promotional videos these days use cheap royalty-free music (even ones revolving around franchises with their own iconic songs or soundtracks), so I doubt this is anything anyone would listen to regularly.

Sometimes I wish Lego could spring for actual music from the franchises in question, but music licensing is a minefield and a 30-second social media video probably isn't worth the investment.

Edited by Lyichir

From the one picture I saw it looks great and accurately represents the old school Optimus prime. I look forward to purchasing it.

I don't know if it's the cognitive dissonance of it being a LEGO set of another toy that has had so many iterations over the years, but it barely looks LEGO-y to me. Maybe that's a feat of its decision, but it's certainly not very appealing to me personally. Then again, Transformers have never appealed to me in general.

12 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Sometimes I wish Lego could spring for actual music from the franchises in question, but music licensing is a minefield and a 30-second social media video probably isn't worth the investment.

I hope it was a licensing issue, as who would consciously choose to not use the opening 30 seconds of 'The Touch' from the 1986 movie for this product launch?

16 hours ago, HatBricks said:

He looks SO GOOD. There's something kinda blocky and silly in how they made him look that I really like, he feels very wholesome. The accessories are also pretty funny, and the box art if great.

But I feel really bad for Brothers Brick, I'm sure it was an honest mistake posting it early, I hope lego is understanding of that.

LEGO changed the reveal date, so BB have a partial excuse.

7 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

I don't know if it's the cognitive dissonance of it being a LEGO set of another toy that has had so many iterations over the years, but it barely looks LEGO-y to me. Maybe that's a feat of its decision, but it's certainly not very appealing to me personally. Then again, Transformers have never appealed to me in general.

I feel the same. I'm just too old for Transformers the first time around so I have no affinity for them. So to me this looks like a "dust catching shelf item" or whatever the phrase is that is used to describe the typewriter, globe, plants, consoles, etc... it us clearly a good rendition of the object but if you have no link to the object, it is less appealing. The fact you have to look twice to see it is made from lego shows how well each of them is designed. 

Google cache of Brothers Brick review -

cache:https://www.brothers-brick.com/2022/05/11/lego-the-transformers-10302-optimus-prime-is-more-than-meets-the-eye-review/

Not sure how long this will last. Link works in Chrome, maybe others.

Edited by Scoobaru303

I had absolutely no interest in this model. But after seeing it I think I may actually get it.

27 minutes ago, Scoobaru303 said:

Google cache of Brothers Brick review -

cache:https://www.brothers-brick.com/2022/05/11/lego-the-transformers-10302-optimus-prime-is-more-than-meets-the-eye-review/

Not sure how long this will last. Link works in Chrome, maybe others.

Thanks. Worked for me in Firefox.

19 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

I think I agree. It just feels a bit... bland? I understand that they're going for the classic look, but is it too basic at this scale? Would some more detailing spoil it? Or maybe it's the proportions of the windscreen windows - and window proportions are often an issue with LEGO. Or maybe it's just that I'm a lot older and modern media is less flat and brightly coloured as it was back in the day. Would like to see some more reviews and images of it.

After seeing the Brickset review and Tiago's on YouTube, I think it looks better. The colors feel better and not as garish as they looked on the Promobeicks/BB images. I like it. Just the window issue, which Brickset pointed out too. But very nice overall.

How did I miss this? I just saw the Facebook post for the upcoming set. It sure looks like the G1 Optimus Prime toy from back in the day. I can see why they don't have knee articulation, which a lot of Optimus figs didn't have for the needed stability. I didn't have one of the originals, but friends did, so I remember handling it (and the gun/tank Megatron). I still have some G1 season 1 episodes on VHS that I bought off of a video rental place.

I like it!

The truck mode almost reminds me of a Model Teams set, which I think were roughly the same size (slightly bigger?) and had a similar level of detail. That's amazingly impressive considering it transforms.

The only think I don't like are the eyes. Something is slightly off; are they too high?

The lack of knees is pretty standard; I can live with it. I'm sure someone will figure out a good mod if needed. Can't even imagine the kinds of mods and transforming trailer builds we're going to see for this set!

I really like him and I appreciate that he's basically a large version of the original toy, at least in terms of how he transforms.

The eyes are a smidge doofy, but I imagine we'll see several brickbuilt alternate options, possibly before he's even out. This set really combines two of my earliest loves as a kid, it's a given that I'll be snagging one.

7 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Roll Out by Mount Holly.

Thank you.

Also looking at the price. 220 dollars Canadian. That's a big drop for me.

I might have to pass on this. Which sucks cause it will only increase in price more like Voltron did once it's no longer available.

This is a day 1 purchase for me. I know it's heavy on the price side, understandable with the license though. For pure childhood nostalgia I have to own this. I already own a version of Prime made by another brand but to actually have an officially licensed version is fantastic.

I've seen a review where they mentioned the obvious lack of trailer. That could be an epic MOC. I'd probably just try and make a better name plate stand that can hold the accessories not in use depending on how it is being displayed.

10 hours ago, MaximillianRebo said:

I hope it was a licensing issue, as who would consciously choose to not use the opening 30 seconds of 'The Touch' from the 1986 movie for this product launch?

That's my ringtone!

It looks like the sticker for the eyes is upside down or not printed centrally, as they look right apart from the orientation. For a throwback to the original figure this is outstanding.

I hope it's a success and they go on to do characters like Shockwave, Grimlock, Arcee, Megatron etc..