Captain Roger

[MOC] Imperial Armada Fortress

Hi mates:

As you know, the 1996-1997 Imperial Armada had no base, and this is something that has always dissapointed me, so I have made a MOC to "solve" it. As a self-criticism to my MOC, I will say that the minifigs have too static postures, but it is more difficult when you do it with Bricklink studio than with physical minifigs. Anyway, that same statism brings me good memories because I find it similar to how they put the minifigs in the last step of the instruction booket, which was precisely to include them (although it is not an excuse, I know).

Well, here my MOC:

spaniards.png

spaniards_2.png

spaniards_3.png

spaniards_4.png

Hope you like it!

Rule #1 of postings MOCs is never hide the images in spoilers!

Yes, the topic loads faster but when people first open it, they don't seem any images and move on.

Besides, they then have to wait for the images to load after they manually reveal them, which doesn't speed anything up anyway.

Sorry, I didn't know there are such a rule like that. I feel embarrased. In any case, thank you for removing the spoiler and I hope you like my MOC

7 hours ago, Captain Roger said:

Sorry, I didn't know there are such a rule like that. I feel embarrased.

It's not rule so don't feel embarrassed. :pir-classic:

It's more of a personal recommendation derived of my experience with building websites and Internet marketing.

I.e. If people can't see the goods up front, they aren't very likely to go around digging for them and simply move onto something else.

But we do thank you immensely for choosing to share your work with us here in the LEGO Pirates Forum! :pir-thumb:

Great idea, I always loved the green elements in the Armada series. That being said, I feel like your design could be a bit more detailed, especially the top level of the tower could do with some details. Also I'd like to see the inside of the building - is there a way to access it / open it up somehow? At the moment it all looks like a work in progress, but you're on a good path :) Proper 90s vibes

Thanks Zinnn. Currently, the inside of the building is empty but I'll work in it. I'm glad you like the exterior. Sadly, I didn't find the Imperial Armada flag in Bricklink Studio.

Best regards!

Nice! :pir-thumb:

One personal suggestion for improvement:
The connection of the docks to the "main island" needs enhancement. 
As it is now, the minifigs have to do parkour/rock climbing to get to the docks.

On 2/9/2022 at 9:54 AM, Captain Roger said:

Hope you like it!

Well it's a good start! :pir-thumb:

image.png

But it seems like it needs more details - at the very least you could add more minfigs to the fort.

But where are all the plants and animals?

On 2/9/2022 at 11:16 AM, zinnn said:

Great idea, I always loved the green elements in the Armada series. That being said, I feel like your design could be a bit more detailed, especially the top level of the tower could do with some details. Also I'd like to see the inside of the building - is there a way to access it / open it up somehow? At the moment it all looks like a work in progress, but you're on a good path :) Proper 90s vibes

Finally, I have built the inside:

spaniards_5.png

Oh, I forgot about the other suggestions, but I'll consider it in the future. Best regards!

Hmmm... I do agree that the Imperial Armada did lack a good stronghold, and what you do have is a good start. Saying that, I feel there is loads of potential for improving the base moc!

For starts, a lot of the sets close to the end of the Classic Pirates wave from 89 to 95 Had more colorful, vibrant pieces to them. Skull Island had lots of reds and blues and yellows in it, the Armada flagship had white, blue, green and red in the build; I'd give it a little more color to give it some more identity; I'd say look at the Armada Sentry and Flagship sets, and see if you can integrate some colors or design techniques to the base itself. Possibly put in a side-entrance from the dock to the fort itself; smaller set of green doors.

Also, I see a lot of negative space above the two main doors to the fortress. I suggest possibly putting in a 1X6 steep arch, with a crane and wench so the Armada soldiers can easily hoist supplies to the second floor of the fortress without opening the main door. And depending on what the Armada are doing at the outpost, You could put in a couple of Cots or a table; make it into a barracks of sorts where the soldiers can sleep in shifts while monitoring the horizon for Pirate activity; Or put in a prison cell, or even better, a VAULT for the Armada to better secure their glorious glittering prizes! In either case, You could include a break-away wall play feature, should the pirates dare to strike against the Armada!

Edited by JeffBuilds

3 hours ago, Captain Roger said:

Thanks a lot for your sincere and constructive comment, JeffBuilds. I'll consider in future MOCs. Best regards

We shall look forward to your future updates!

I'll also suggest the top of the fortification looks a little flat... you could build that up with more interesting ramparts

In particular, observe the technique used in Lagoon Lockup:

image.png

I would definitely lose the raised base board and try to fit it all on the water base. If a design is simple, you want it to cover as little space as possible, at least that's how I always saw things aesthetically. You don't need to do a lot to make it stand out other than maybe a altering a wall so you don't have just a flat building, I hate to suggest a BURP, maybe your own rock design? Maybe create a pillbox opening in the wall above the doors, where you could stick the cannon so it gives it a little more personality.

I think your fort looks rather simple and kind of boring so far.  That being said, there's lots of potential in this design.  I like the use of the green doors, as well as the use of the older printed wall panels.  The overall shape of the fort is pretty good too.  If you can find a way to add in a bit more color and detail, it will go a long way to making this MOC look awesome.

Fun build, @Captain Roger!

I'll echo some of the other replies and say that the white wall parts are a little plain. The shape of the fort is just fine, but I think the flat white parts are what make it seem plain.

I created this tutorial a few years ago that shows a few ways to use pieces to add texture to the walls. Would love to see a combination of a few different textures in the build!

The 1x3 arches are fun - they remind me of little gutters to let the water run off the flat roof. If you raised them up by another brick or so like in this build it might provide more for the defenders to hide behind!

I would recommend adding some vegetation.  That will liven things up quite a bit.  Echoing the barracks idea, furniture/furnishings on the interior would also help, as would a flag of some type, and I'd do a bit more with the battlements on the roof.  Maybe add some fortification to the cannon hanging out all exposed at the end of the pier as well.  (Somebody suggested a crane on the roof, one might be a good idea in place of the cannon on the pier as well).  I'd do something with the space above the door as well, if I were you.

If you want to go crazy with it, you could always set the building on tiles with only 3-4 studs to hold onto, and then you could make use of the underground portion of the old elevated baseplate.  Make a cellar or a cell.  Or both!

Another idea could be to borrow a bit from the old Imperial Trading Post, and have part of the building hanging off of the baseplate, with some buttresses keeping it from falling off.  If you did that, you could add a building or two.

Basically, as others have said, you've got a pretty good start.  You throw in a few refinements and you'll have a genuinely great set you can show off to others.

EDIT (I guess?): For some reason, this never actually posted.  It was still here though.  Pretend I posted this back in February.

Thanks for all the comments in June and sorry for the delay, I have just read them now.

All new comments suggest me to improve the MOC, I'll consider it. I don't always have time to build and when I do, I'll probably start a new MOC instead (I also want to buy non-pirate MOCS), but next time I build a Pirate MOC, it will be a improved version of this fortress considering all of your suggestions. Thanks for the tutorial too.

18 hours ago, Captain Roger said:

. I don't always have time

Ah yes, time is that all important factor.  Well, thank you for sharing what you've done! :pir-huzzah2: