Milan

[CADA] CADA General Discussion Topic

On 2/7/2022 at 8:34 AM, agrof said:

I am very happy that this topic has born, finally some healthy competition. Big thanks for the staff for it! :thumbup:

We always more or less allowed CADA, but we don't want to flood the board with CADA topics. This seems like a reasonable solution. Glad it's appreciated.

I will unpin this topic and add it to the index.

On 2/8/2022 at 5:50 PM, efferman said:

Cada has the new diff type with little changes in Design. For example the Axle can go through. ...

Can you please confirm that you can push an axle through the grey housing, unlike the Lego diff? This way one could be able to secure the axles w/ stop from inside, just fantastic!

Does somebody have pictures of it?

21 minutes ago, brunojj1 said:

Can you please confirm that you can push an axle through the grey housing

yes, the Axle can go through the complete differential.

51880239777_90a91e3db8_c.jpg

That is an interesting characteristic - but I can't decide how useful it is in the most common applications, as you wouldn't then be able to get the differential inside of a frame.

Without putting it inside a frame, there's a high risk of the gear driving the differential slipping.

Of course, there are other uses where this could be useful, such as in a central differential.

What am I missing?

Edited by amorti

17 minutes ago, amorti said:

Of course, there are other uses where this could be useful, such as in a central differential.

Not sure if I got that.

If you push an axle through the diff - the diff is not a diff anymore. And you cannot lock the axle from the inside.

Maybe you can use the 5.5(?) axle from one side. But again, I do not see the benefits as you can use axles with stop on this side anyway. :|

2 minutes ago, Gimmick said:

Not sure if I got that.

You could insert axles with stops from the inside, so they couldn't slip out of the differential gears. But... you can't then fit it within a frame.

Edited by amorti

Just now, amorti said:

You could insert axles with stops from the inside, so they couldn't slip out of the differential gears. But... you can't then fit it within a frame.

Ahh from the top - I'm stupid... :D

35 minutes ago, efferman said:

yes, the Axle can go through the complete differential.

Thank you! I hope it´s wide enough to fit the "stop part" of an axle w/ stop.

29 minutes ago, amorti said:

That is an interesting characteristic - but I can't decide how useful it is in the most common applications, as you wouldn't then be able to get the differential inside of a frame.

Without putting it inside a frame, there's a high risk of the gear driving the differential slipping.

What am I missing?

You´re right in principle. Prevent differential slipping by securing it from both sides. Here you got a new DIY frame :wink: :

400x313.jpg

Edited by brunojj1

1 minute ago, brunojj1 said:

new DIY frame :wink: :

Now I see! And even more options with CaDA's perpendicular connector for 3 pins, or some other flip flop beam construction.

You always had an option like on the Lego Corvette and many other models, where a 2L connector is trapped on the outside of the diff's frame to retain a plain 3L axle, but this is much neater, and more compact. You could get directly from there, to a CV joint.

Thank you!

As long as the motors have PF plugs, yes. But (at least some some) CaDa servos only have 3 positions (full left, full right, and centre), so they may work erratically when the SBrick and software controlling it are expecting a LEGO servo with several intermediate positions.

1 hour ago, amorti said:

Now I see! And even more options with CaDA's perpendicular connector for 3 pins, or some other flip flop beam construction.

You always had an option like on the Lego Corvette and many other models, where a 2L connector is trapped on the outside of the diff's frame to retain a plain 3L axle, but this is much neater, and more compact. You could get directly from there, to a CV joint.

Thank you!

Exactly, that way you have a narrow axle and can avoid problems as e.g. in the Apollo, demonstrated one page earlier. 

22 minutes ago, technicbuilder said:

Can i connect Cada motors to a S-Brick to controll the funktions ?

Yes, they are compatible. Not 100% sure if all of them will do respectively while using any types of extension wires.

Does anyone know what the best way is to buy them in the US? I'm looking at getting the Goliath dump truck, and found listings on cada's website, a random amazon seller, joooooy.com, and jointoy.com, all with slightly different prices. Is there a preferred one with shipping costs and import?

6 hours ago, Gimmick said:

If you push an axle through the diff - the diff is not a diff anymore.

I think even that has some valid use case: you can build the same model with open or locked diff just by changing the axle (two parts or a single piece). Not quite like a lockable diff, but one step better than nothing..

6 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

I hope it´s wide enough to fit the "stop part" of an axle w/ stop.

By that picture, I would guess that it's not wide enough unfortunately.. It seems to be just the width of the axle itself, like a regular pinhole.

31 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

By that picture, I would guess that it's not wide enough unfortunately.. It seems to be just the width of the axle itself, like a regular pinhole.

I´ve thought of that already. Another solution comes to my mind. Considering the space within the diff one could insert these joints (2.5L length of the axle part) from the outside, giving them the extra 0.5 stud play, enough to prevent it from sliding out.

400x150.jpg

Edited by brunojj1

Well the stop can sit against that tube, can't it? Just means you need to use a 4L with stop on that side and a 3L with stop on the other. If it works like that...

If it's tight, you could maybe even use it for limiting slip, depending how tight.

@efferman has the part. What can it do?

29 minutes ago, brunojj1 said:

Considering the space within the diff one could insert these joints 400x150.jpg

You'd also be only half a stud away from using the stronger new type CV joints.

Edited by amorti

19 minutes ago, amorti said:

What can it do?

I will tomorrow disassemble my Hummer and Test it.

Do those of you involved with CADA have any idea if there's any chance of them putting out differently sized clutch gears? Given how often Technic fans demand them, it could be a major selling point for them!

44 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Do those of you involved with CADA have any idea if there's any chance of them putting out differently sized clutch gears? Given how often Technic fans demand them, it could be a major selling point for them!

We need to keep in mind it´s a great, but rather small company compared to TLG. They are developing a lot of new ideas and parts, but just can´t keep up to fulfill all demands. Means they have to put priorities, considering a new mold costs 10K+, it´s a question of money as well of course. Luckily there are a lot of crumbs falling off the rich table..

On 2/14/2022 at 9:19 PM, amorti said:

What can it do?

Insert a stop inside of the Diff isn't possible because the big diff gear can not snap into its place.

22 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

They are developing a lot of new ideas and parts, but just can´t keep up to fulfill all demands. Means they have to put priorities, considering a new mold costs 10K+, it´s a question of money as well of course. Luckily there are a lot of crumbs falling off the rich table..

This year there will be a set with some very interesting new elements. One of these will surely be a hit ;)

Edited by eric trax

has anyone been successful with getting their designs made by CaDa? i have a couple of GBC modules i would love to get made into sets

Just now, 9v system said:

has anyone been successful with getting their designs made by CaDa? i have a couple of GBC modules i would love to get made into sets

Eric Trax, brunojj1, brickphisto and some others have. It's definitely a real thing.

I wouldn't pin your hopes on a GBC module though. There's never been such a set from any maker, so either it's an untapped market, or much more likely there is no market for it.

9 hours ago, 9v system said:

8 hours ago, amorti said:

Eric Trax, brunojj1, brickphisto and some others have. It's definitely a real thing.

I wouldn't pin your hopes on a GBC module though. There's never been such a set from any maker, so either it's an untapped market, or much more likely there is no market for it.

Closest thing there is to a commercialized GBC is probably PV Productions' alternates for Lego sets, which of course are only instructions rather than complete sets. GBC's typically also seem to be a finicky things, especially the cooler ones, so they would probably be too hard for too many people to get working correctly so they'd be disappointed and cause too much trouble for the company making them.