Milan

[CADA] CADA General Discussion Topic

@LvdHthanks for sharing, where did you find the pics?

I like the technical action of the piece. With the Lego orange one and a lot of torque, it can wobble in and out, but looks like you would get a more solid engagement of the slider by using the shift fork there, not to mention it bears more similarity to a real gearbox selector mechanism, imho.

@LvdH : Nice catch, my friend! I´m wondering about this monster vehicle in the background where the part is used - what is it?...

How does it work? There is a wavy thread pattern on the rotating axle inside which engages one or more of the surrounding sliders where the half rings for the clutch can be inserted, going through into the wavy groove. The whole thing is held in position by the clutch which prevents the rectangular housing from rotating.

640x463.JPG

I think everybody can see that with this crucial part CaDA has created not just a substitute, but made it a function itself. There couldn´t be any better technical solution IMO and one can see how much effort went into developing this. And don´t worry about friction, it´s not more than you would have otherwise.

23 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

Ah, thanks, I didn't know that. Suing someone for using a patented part in a MOC is obviously ridiculous, but I can see the trouble with a competitor brand trying to copy it. Still, I find it weird that we don't see that drama for all parts...

Suing somebody like me is indeed ridiculous, but not impossible, since I´m using it for commercial purpose. But patenting the whole gearbox concept (not the part itself!) is what they did and that´s pretty the same as saying you have invented the round wheel IMO. Why do you want more drama? Think about we are still talking about TOYS after all. And why for all parts? First of all you need to differentiate between patens which are valid and which aren´t anymore, copyright, 3D marks, registered designs in US, EU, China etc. which are all very different things. You don´t need to bother of course as regular user / MOCer - enjoy all the parts diversity and endless freedom - build something extraordinary of it to enjoy :wink:!

Edited by brunojj1

Just now, amorti said:

Since nobody tagged anybodyyet... @efferman can you confirm if it's your design?

@brunojj1 looks like the cat is out of the bag!

The design stems entirely from CaDA´s  R&D department. But we both contributed to it, as you know.

@brunojj1 it only increases my excitement for the next Master set!

I think it's great to get exclusive pieces like this in alternative brand sets, it really differentiates the copycats from the creators.

Edited by amorti

5 minutes ago, brunojj1 said:

@LvdH : Nice catch, my friend! I´m wondering about this monster vehicle in the background where the part is used - what is it?...

That’s the “Fantasma” by Dugald, or the Koenigsegg Jesko (unofficially :grin:)

@amorti A FB page “Kreumel Baut”, he’s also active on Youtube so you can probably also expect a video on his channel soon. He posts photos and videos of his builds similar to Racingbrick. It’s in German though so you’ll either have to understand a little bit lf German or use the translator :laugh: 

He has a bunch of other photos including some brake rotors used for a totally different function than normally. I have to say I wasn’t completely sold on the car yet, but seeing the functions and how they are built I really want to build it. 

Edited by LvdH

10 minutes ago, LvdH said:

He has a bunch of other photos including some brake rotors used for a totally different function than normally

304769105_408661161373309_4789938312299110997_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=6Nvtb1dl8bUAX97ir-s&_nc_oc=AQktQdDjQCX2RY5ph02iQsrhbUYmOdKYITcdT73Put30gfn8pecEkg8Zh-1Q5WFUiOU&_nc_ht=scontent-ams4-1.xx&oh=00_AT94EoKXXHrHgZP9hN9X9W53nTLhF-mqwvVH_8xTk0bdRg&oe=6315FDA3302237072_408661141373311_1790634966861987178_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=fj-eacaqfiQAX8Fo8Nv&_nc_ht=scontent-ams4-1.xx&oh=00_AT8o8uQXrnvqZMqa6WW1iaONQ1ULQfo5ibStheY0l_qIvw&oe=631638FA

To me this looks like a CVT. The contact points between the two pulley wheels and the disc hubs can vary by sliding the upper gear rack.  By inspecting the rest of the photo's it looks to me like this CVT is also connected to another gearbox using the new selector part. Very interesting and unique setup! 

Source: https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=408660194706739&set=pcb.408661011373324

1 hour ago, brunojj1 said:

640x463.JPG

In my eyes that part looks more useful than TLG's version if we can put 3mm bar in that hole. If it can, than we can use that part for not only clutch but also other simple 3L sliding things like gun's recoil.

2 hours ago, amorti said:

can you confirm if it's your design?

no, it is not. my design was a little bit different, but maybe to close tho the lego Part.

52326020577_7383aa4c9f_c.jpg

Edited by efferman

This selector also has the advantage of not interfering with other nearby driving rings unless you want it to. Cool stuff!

It has a big disadvantage. It doesn't allow to put a clutchgear on the crosshole for the axle connect.

4 minutes ago, efferman said:

It has a big disadvantage. It doesn't allow to put a clutchgear on the crosshole for the axle connect.

You can with a clutch ring extension though, right?

1 hour ago, T Lego said:

To me this looks like a CVT. The contact points between the two pulley wheels and the disc hubs can vary by sliding the upper gear rack.  By inspecting the rest of the photo's it looks to me like this CVT is also connected to another gearbox using the new selector part. Very interesting and unique setup! 

Source: https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=408660194706739&set=pcb.408661011373324

It is indeed a CVT. I didn’t want to spoil the surprise :wink: 

4 minutes ago, efferman said:

If we get new gear which has bigger hole for fit on axle connector parts than problem will solved.

4 minutes ago, LvdH said:

You can with a clutch ring extension though, right?

correct, but for which use this would make sense?

5 minutes ago, msk6003 said:

new gear

This is the way.

20 minutes ago, LvdH said:

It is indeed a CVT. I didn’t want to spoil the surprise :wink: 

It's in that "Jesko" set, right? Why is it there? I don't recall anything like that in the original car, so I'm quite curious about it's purpose!

5 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

It's in that "Jesko" set, right? Why is it there? I don't recall anything like that in the original car, so I'm quite curious about it's purpose!

There is a 9 speed gearbox in the real car, so Dugald built a 9 speed gearbox in this model using a CVT. 

56 minutes ago, LvdH said:

There is a 9 speed gearbox in the real car, so Dugald built a 9 speed gearbox in this model using a CVT. 

So does that mean that instead of a traditional 9-speed, he put in a CVT and limited it to nine specific positions? Interesting thought, and maybe the only way to get a full 9-speed into a saleable car, but somewhat disappointing on the realism front. Are the traditional TDR systems with this new wave selector part then just used for some kind of reverse-neutral-drive selector, or a clutch or something?

Edited by 2GodBDGlory

6 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

So does that mean that instead of a traditional 9-speed, he put in a CVT and limited it to nine specific positions? Interesting thought, and maybe the only way to get a full 9-speed into a saleable car, but somewhat disappointing on the realism front. Are the traditional TDR systems with this new wave selector part then just used for some kind of reverse-neutral-drive selector, or a clutch or something?

I'm not sure how the whole thing works. Given there is also a traditional driving ring connected to the CVT I think it's either a 3 speed CVT with 3 different "ranges", or a 5 speed CVT with 2 different "ranges" and one gear blocked. 

Anyway: I ordered the set. I just have to see it in person now :laugh:  

Ok, thanks!

It looks like a really cool set, and I may try a build once instructions are released. Lots to understand in there!

Is the yellow suspension part also new? Looks like the new wave selector and suspension part will make some changes required to make it in lego bricks. 

18 hours ago, nicjasno said:

What must one do to get hands on one or two of these?

I advocated the listing of these parts in the spare parts section. Please wait around 2-3 weeks and they will be available there too.

9 hours ago, nahpets said:

Is the yellow suspension part also new? Looks like the new wave selector and suspension part will make some changes required to make it in lego bricks. 

Not that I am aware off. Aren’t they just disassembled shocks? 

It can’t be built with LEGO bricks btw. At least not without a lot of modifications or off brand pieces. Dugald took full advantage of Cada’s more extensive collection of liftarms: those with alternating holes in various lengths (not 11 and 15) and also liftarms with pins on the ends (think of 87082 but with more holes).

On 9/2/2022 at 8:26 PM, LvdH said:

Not that I am aware off. Aren’t they just disassembled shocks? 

It can’t be built with LEGO bricks btw. At least not without a lot of modifications or off brand pieces. Dugald took full advantage of Cada’s more extensive collection of liftarms: those with alternating holes in various lengths (not 11 and 15) and also liftarms with pins on the ends (think of 87082 but with more holes).

Ahh - will have to wait and see the instructions :)