Milan

[CADA] CADA General Discussion Topic

4 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

afaik they never included chargers, only a short Usb to micro usb cable. But I could be wrong of course

Can confirm. I recently received the Apollo IE (with the white top batterybox) only came with the batterybox and a very short USB to micro USB-B. 

51 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

Plus the company (at least partially) copies TLG's designs. This is evident in the mining truck and excavator.

The mining truck is very far away from being a copy. I have built both models and even if you have not you only need a closer look to notice that. The excavator is not an exact copy but very close indeed. Apart from that single CaDA set I do not know another one that might be "heavily inspired" by a Lego set.

Funnily I was accused of copying Lego's 10295 Porsche 911 with my classic sportscar. That is quite bizarre since both models have nothing in common at all. My MOC which the CaDA set is based on had been finished about nine month before there were even rumors about a Lego 911. Still a very large online seller stopped selling my model until I supplied documents of proof that my model existed before images of the Lego model appeared. So for myself I am very cautious of accusing someone of copying or stealing designs.

18 minutes ago, brickphisto said:

The mining truck is very far away from being a copy. I have built both models and even if you have not you only need a closer look to notice that. The excavator is not an exact copy but very close indeed. Apart from that single CaDA set I do not know another one that might be "heavily inspired" by a Lego set.

It's not exact, but the mining truck shares a lot of features with the truck from 42055 (especially the front stairs) and the colour scheme from 42035. Even the bed shape and tipping gear function are extremely similar, as is the chassis at the rear. And the excavator is too close for comfort. They've clearly taken "inspiration" from TLG's designs while changing just enough to avoid actual infringement. And it doesn't sit well with me.

About copy cats. Maybe, just maybe it's the way a mining truck or excavator looks in real life :/

15 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

It's not exact, but the mining truck shares a lot of features with the truck from 42055 (especially the front stairs) and the colour scheme from 42035. Even the bed shape and tipping gear function are extremely similar, as is the chassis at the rear. And the excavator is too close for comfort. They've clearly taken "inspiration" from TLG's designs while changing just enough to avoid actual infringement. And it doesn't sit well with me.

I have to admit I just compared the CaDA set to 42035 and forgot about the one from 42055. But then again how much different can models be based on the same original at the same scale replicating the same functions? Regarding the excavator I feel the same but I am sure things like that will not happen again.

4 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

with that kind of mindset

I still remember that battery, suddenly started smoking,
the window of my mancave was open en I threw the thing out, just in time cause it burst into flames just outside.
10 seconds later it would have happened right in my face.

Edited by JaBaCaDaBra

9 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Plus the company (at least partially) copies TLG's designs. This is evident in the mining truck and excavator.

To be fair, that’s just two small sets so it’s clear it’s very uncommon for them. The rest of their range is pretty much original

9 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

To be fair, that’s just two small sets so it’s clear it’s very uncommon for them. The rest of their range is pretty much original

Yeah. You wonder why they felt the need to break their norm for these sets!

3 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Yeah. You wonder why they felt the need to break their norm for these sets!

No idea what the thought process was, but I don't really care though to be honest, especially since CaDA's excavator looks better than Lego's one.

Although the title is misleading (basically a set demonstration with build process) I really like how polished its looks and functions are 👍

The Bulldozer looks great, almost like a scale Model Toy, only the small LA on the blade sticks out kind of weird due to its different color :sceptic:

2 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

the small LA on the blade sticks out kind of weird due to its different color

Yeah, I really tried to convince CaDA these small actuators should be yellow or black but without success. On the other hand, I'm glad they were bold with L and XL actuators.

Anyway, thanks for your kind opinion.

On 3/4/2022 at 2:23 PM, JaBaCaDaBra said:

Micro USB chargers do NOT use the higher 9volts for speedload, they can ONLY send 5 volts to the device and are NOT intelligent.

The one for my phone does. It even says "9v 1.8A" on it.

Sure, when connecting "dumb" device it stays at 5v 0.5A.

I am interested to see what @efferman will bring to the table, seeing as there is no big truck or construction vehicle license listed above... But I know you probably can't tell anything for obvious reasons.

Seeing this panel made me realize how CADA has managed to gather some of the best MOC designers in a pretty short time. Oh yeah, and I am there too, even though I feel a bit out of place, placed next to JK Brickworks especially :head_back:

Edited by Gray Gear

1 hour ago, Gray Gear said:

I am interested to see what @efferman will bring to the table, seeing as there is no big truck or construction vehicle license listed above... But I know you probably can't tell anything for obvious reasons.

Seeing this panel made me realize how CADA has managed to gather some of the best MOC designers in a pretty short time. Oh yeah, and I am there too, even though I feel a bit out of place, placed next to JK Brickworks especially :head_back:

Didn't notice you were on there! I'm looking forward to seeing whatever comes of that!

9 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

there is no big truck or construction vehicle license listed above

Well, maybe a license listing would show to easy what my first Set is, or maybe cada has simply not got a license.

The only thing i can tell, the model is very unique and never seen as Set of any brick company before.

4 hours ago, efferman said:

The only thing i can tell, the model is very unique and never seen as Set of any brick company before.

Same for my project :blush::thumbup:

Back briefly to the subject of CaDA bricks.

I am now a huge fanboy of flip flop beams. The first ones I used were from Lego in the Zetros and Tow Truck, but why does Lego only have them in 11 and 15 stud length?

I now have some in lengths 3,4,5,6,7 and 9 (thank you @aFrInaTi0n!) and they just make everything better. Constructions can frequently be stronger, and more compact.

They also give a new challenge in the building process: where could I use those guys? will the alternating holes be where I need them?

While I highly doubt Lego will ever bring them in lengths 4 and 6, it's just a matter of time for the odd lengths. They'll bring a HUGE revolution in technic building when the full set is there. I really do see it as being almost as big of a change as the switch to studless was.

To all the guys on here building just for CaDA, I recommend to use those whenever you can. It will make your models something truly special, ahead of the game from TLG. It will also have an advantage for CaDA if you can't build their licensed models from Lego bricks. I think it's a real shame that some AFOLs are so purist that e.g. they'd rather build Bruno's Ferrari from Lego bricks, even if it means painting panels to do it. But you can't paint two 6L thin liftarms to look like a 6L flip flop beam :pir-wink:

12 minutes ago, amorti said:

but why does Lego only have them in 11 and 15 stud length?

Glad someone else asking the same..

13 minutes ago, amorti said:

Constructions can frequently be stronger, and more compact.

I have been preaching this in other threads for a while, glad you confirm :) Agree with you on the revolutionary aspect (more compact and stronger builds), although may not be as big of a change as studless transition I guess. And they play together well with frames, and also flat panels have some flip-flop aspect (actually, they can also be very useful as structural elements, since they have connection points in 3 directions).

Besides the odd lengths, I really hope that the 4L would come for Lego eventually. I could use that one in quite a few cases.

19 minutes ago, amorti said:

I now have some in lengths 3,4,5,6,7 and 9

Did you get them from complete Cada sets, or elsewhere by piece?

10 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

may not be as big of a change as studless transition

Did you get them from complete Cada sets, or elsewhere by piece?

No, not as big, but it's big. There will be (and already are) sets and MOCs which just wouldn't be possible without those beams.

@aFrInaTi0n kindly sent me some to use in a project we've been collaborating on. You can get them from various online sources based in China. We all know the usual suspects, but I suspect naming them will be over admin's tolerance, so I shan't push my luck.

Edited by amorti

Apart from the flip flop beams and those liftarms with pins on both ends there are more unique CaDA parts that make a huge difference. The 1x8 mudguards and the trapezoid windscreen are so useful for (system) scale model guys like me. Unfortunately I could not use the windscreen for my first two sets but it will make my third and fourth (and maybe fifth?) project look much more realistic. I have no idea why TLG has not introduced a trapezoid windscreen or these 1x8 mudguards for their 16-wide models but I am very happy they are available from CaDA.

9 minutes ago, brickphisto said:

Apart from the flip flop beams and those liftarms with pins on both ends there are more unique CaDA parts that make a huge difference. The 1x8 mudguards and the trapezoid windscreen are so useful for (system) scale model guys like me. Unfortunately I could not use the windscreen for my first two sets but it will make my third and fourth (and maybe fifth?) project look much more realistic. I have no idea why TLG has not introduced a trapezoid windscreen or these 1x8 mudguards for their 16-wide models but I am very happy they are available from CaDA.

I do have your Classic German sportscar from CaDA. I built it with motors, but eventually I'll rebuild it without and use the motors elsewhere. Think we discussed elsewhere, but the structure really isn't enough for those Pro motors, and there's not really much that can be done, to make it so!