Milan

[CADA] CADA General Discussion Topic

I am very happy that this topic has born, finally some healthy competition. Big thanks for the staff for it! :thumbup:

5 hours ago, agrof said:

Big thanks for the staff for it! :thumbup:

++++ to all designers!

On 2/7/2022 at 8:34 AM, agrof said:

I am very happy that this topic has born, finally some healthy competition. Big thanks for the staff for it! :thumbup:

+1!

Thanks to all the guys n gals who put their time in to the forum. No need to @ them, since I'm sure they're all watching this one carefully anyway :D

Did anyone see this video? Apologies - it's in German only.

This one unfortunately rounded off the teeth on the differential.

I have a theory. My pics from the thread on Bruno's red one:

CaDA's old 20t gears had squarer teeth than Lego's:

800x450.jpg

They redesigned them more like Lego's in the meantime.

Their Diffs have rounder teeth than Lego's (CaDA's is at the top)

800x450.jpg

You can see the plastic dust - those rounder teeth on the CaDA diff were already a liability with the squarer 20t gears (although my Diff from Bruno's red one snapped the middle pin out before the teeth could round out).

Since CaDA rounded the teeth on the 20 tooth gears, if they didn't also redesign the diffs, then the teeth were always going to be a problem when shunting a big heavy model around.

If anyone gets that model for themselves, I'd recommend to fit a Lego diff, and maybe Lego 20t gear also depending on how smooth it runs in a frame.

To be honest, a near 4kg model with two buggy motors deserves the new 5-gear diff, but maybe CaDA doesn't have it yet?

12 minutes ago, amorti said:

deserves the new 5-gear diff, but maybe CaDA doesn't have it yet?

Cada has the new diff type with little changes in Design. For example the Axle can go through. I saw it first in the Humvee, but the use of a half 20z Bevel Gear makes it pointless.

51355343999_0b67916234_c.jpg

This was one of the Points i have changed.

https://bricksafe.com/pages/efferman/hummer-h1-station-wagon

Edited by efferman

20 minutes ago, efferman said:

Cada has the new diff type

I've been thinking about getting the big Humvee, but didn't do it yet. The colour-vomit puts me off, and you can't get it from any EU supplier yet. I wonder if that's due to the orange wave selector.

Why does the 20t thin gear make it pointless? I thought the main purpose was to have a stronger diff (you can't pop the centre pin out like I did) rather than having the extra reduction?

Edited by amorti

6 minutes ago, amorti said:

Why does the 20t thin gear make it pointless?

with the old diff the diff bends away from the 20 tooth, in the humvee case the thin 20tooth can bend away and slip.

Just realized it's hanging in the middle of a brick frame. Maybe it'd be fine in a 5*7?

Maybe, but the humvee is made like the old model team sets. A 5x7 frame would make big changes neccessary. My actual solution is solid and doestnt tend to skip, even in hard direction changes.

I even missed that the diff wasn't in the centre in either direction, so of course you couldn't use the 20t gear normally in a 5*7.

I did see your mod version on the CaDA Facebook group. It's tricky, right? I guess you can't post that on rebrickable.

It uses some exclusive Cada parts, so i guess it would rejected in rebrickable, but the build isnt to complex.

9 hours ago, astyanax said:

Lego does make the black part nowadays

Maybe CaDA should have put a design protection on it!

9 minutes ago, amorti said:

Maybe CaDA should have put a design protection on it!

They can't, for the same reason that they can make parts similar to Lego in the first place: The patents have expired and they can't be patented again. They could, of course, try to invent some novel way of connecting parts, but that's hard (both in the sense of making it actually useful and getting it patented) and also requires a lot of resources, which they might not have.

I am not an expert on legal issues but afaik parts like the one mentioned cannot be patented (anymore) but they can still have design protection. There are plenty of Lego parts which you would never expect to be protected anymore but which still are: 2x4 curved slope, 1x2 curved slope, almost all brackets, 1x1x1/2/3 brick with two studs just to mention a few. But I fear we are drifting off-topic...

28 minutes ago, brickphisto said:

I am not an expert on legal issues but afaik parts like the one mentioned cannot be patented (anymore) but they can still have design protection. There are plenty of Lego parts which you would never expect to be protected anymore but which still are: 2x4 curved slope, 1x2 curved slope, almost all brackets, 1x1x1/2/3 brick with two studs just to mention a few. But I fear we are drifting off-topic...

+1

You're right. Probably best to keep rage against the machine to other places, admin is making a big concession here.

Good to see CADA topic finally.

Is it OK to discuss separate parts also? I bought few PF replacement from them and will happily share my opinion/ask for help.

What is the feasibility of eventually seeing CADA sets and related Mods/MOCs on Rebrickable – or perhaps a parallel Rebrickable exclusively for non-TLG sets and pieces?

26 minutes ago, Mikdun said:

Is it OK to discuss separate parts also? I bought few PF replacement from them and will happily share my opinion/ask for help.

Don't see why not - assuming they're really from CaDA and not other Chinese brands with lower moral standards.

7 hours ago, J159753 said:

What is the feasibility of eventually seeing CADA sets and related Mods/MOCs on Rebrickable – or perhaps a parallel Rebrickable exclusively for non-TLG sets and pieces?

They're already there. I think the main criteria would be that the MOC/MOD is buildable from genuine Lego parts. 

1 hour ago, astyanax said:

They're already there. I think the main criteria would be that the MOC/MOD is buildable from genuine Lego parts. 

What's there to differentiate it from Lego MOC then, if non-Lego parts are excluded?

2 hours ago, howitzer said:

What's there to differentiate it from Lego MOC then, if non-Lego parts are excluded?

My point was there seems to be no differentiation. Actually, RB is allowing you to sell creations that depend on 3rd-party electronics, at least so it seems. But IMO the site terms aren't clear about publishing, free or not, mods of models from non-TLG brick companies. I wonder what would happen if you were to publish on RB instructions of arbitrary China-brick sets? (Assuming they're not using any custom molds.)

https://rebrickable.com/terms/

14 hours ago, astyanax said:

I wonder what would happen if you were to publish on RB instructions of arbitrary China-brick sets? (Assuming they're not using any custom molds.)

Rebrickable's terms don't allow posting instructions for a model you didn't design yourself, even if you get permission from the designer. In practice however there's lots of approved MOCs that do this.

On 2/5/2022 at 7:59 AM, efferman said:

Cada electronics. For the upcoming Buggy motor i have no file.

Hide contents

51865936054_45b031eecd_c.jpg

im interested in the files for the motors and controller, have you done the other cada motors too? double eagle servo and L motor

Edited by 9v system
shorterned quote

Sorry, I only have the electronics in the picture above. I have them from Cada itself and i have to ask if i have the permit to share them.

9 hours ago, 9v system said:

im interested in the files for the motors and controller,

btw, Please, don't make full quotes.

4 minutes ago, efferman said:

Sorry, I only have the electronics in the picture above. I have them from Cada itself and i have to ask if i have the permit to share them.

btw, Please, don't make full quotes.

no worries, please let me know if it is ok to share them here.

we have been testing these motors and the MK ones for GBCs as well as the cheap generics too with some interesting results.