Hello Ferrari and Speed Champions fans,

the Ferrari F40 (tipo F120) is a mid-engine, rear-wheel drive sports car engineered by Nicola Materazzi with styling by Pininfarina. It was built from 1987 to 1992, with the LM and GTE race car versions continuing production until 1994 and 1996 respectively. As the successor to the 288 GTO (also engineered by Materazzi), it was designed to celebrate Ferrari's 40th anniversary and was the last Ferrari automobile personally approved by Enzo Ferrari. At the time it was Ferrari's fastest, most powerful, and most expensive car for sale. Building instructions are available on the following links:

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-99799/_TLG_/ferrari-f40

https://www.mocsmarket.com/lego-mocs/ferrari-f40-building-instructions/

It is a studless build in the new, 8 studs wide Speed Champions style. I wanted to create a sleek model which is as accurate as possible in this small scale. I prefer the brick built solutions to keep the flexibility of the used parts in further builds, and therefore only Ferrari logo stickers are used. (If you preferred a better shaping instead of a real rear side grill, then 2pcs of parts 61409 could replaced by 2pcs of tiles and some additional stickers, see the picture 3.)

My intent was to keep the width-length-height ratio of the real car and this size makes it possible. The model contains lots of details: for example the emblematic front, hood , side and rear intakes, the narrow black line on the front and sides, the front turn signals, the side view mirrors etc... Maybe the most challenging one was the iconic rear side with the vehicle registration plate and the rear spoiler, here there is a half stud offset. I tried to fill every unnecessary gaps and therefore some tricky build techniques are used.

The model has space for one minifigure. I suggest to use small or middle sized hair.

Thanks for visiting,
_TLG_

51860368745_f9118a0fc9_c.jpgFerrari F40 - instructions 1 by László Torma, on Flickr

51858757307_e347c5fd7a_c.jpgFerrari F40 - instructions 2 by László Torma, on Flickr

51859795198_72a1746e33_c.jpgFerrari F40 - instructions 3 by László Torma, on Flickr

51859795123_6fb04a5be2_c.jpgFerrari F40 - instructions 4 by László Torma, on Flickr

51860045609_de26ef57f7_c.jpgFerrari F40 - instructions 5 by László Torma, on Flickr

51858757067_001f34d732_c.jpgFerrari F40 - instructions 6 by László Torma, on Flickr

51859794908_96f3db78ff_c.jpgFerrari F40 - instructions 7 by László Torma, on Flickr

51860045394_676351b690_c.jpgFerrari F40 - instructions 8 by László Torma, on Flickr

51859710091_145fffbd88_c.jpgFerrari F40 - instructions 9 by László Torma, on Flickr

Edited by _TLG_
mocsmarket link added

Great work scaling the F40 to 8-wide Speed Champions. You nailed all the style elements with bricks perfectly. I too prefer brick build solutions, not stickers. I like the Italian flag homage on the rear.

Very nicely done! It would be nice if there was an easier way to find speed champions mocs though. Maybe a sub forum?

2 hours ago, Legocitycustoms said:

That looks awesome. :pir-love:

Thanks a lot!

2 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

Great work scaling the F40 to 8-wide Speed Champions. You nailed all the style elements with bricks perfectly. I too prefer brick build solutions, not stickers. I like the Italian flag homage on the rear.

Thanks a lot! I prefer the brick built solutions too, I think that the official sets also should use less stickers :) The idea of Italian flag came from a Swedish flag from an official set :)

1 hour ago, ExeSandbox said:

That's really good! The level of accuracy made me think it was a bigger scale at first glance!

Thanks a lot!

1 hour ago, whitepen said:

Very nicely done! It would be nice if there was an easier way to find speed champions mocs though. Maybe a sub forum?

Thanks! I think too that a sub forum would be great, so you wouldn't need to search this cars between modular buildings.

@TeddytheSpoon Thanks a lot! Yes, this scale can be much more accurate :) (I like the official 6 studs wide set too, but I think the car could be built more accurate even in that scale, there are some decent 6 wide MOCs on the internet too.)

I think it's fantastic how you have translated ferrari f40 to an 8 wide LEGO model.
You have found an excellent part for car mirrors in my opinion :)

Your holy grail for me is still the 57 Chevy, but this F40 is really close to the top1 of your builds!

10 hours ago, jelletv said:

I think it's fantastic how you have translated ferrari f40 to an 8 wide LEGO model.
You have found an excellent part for car mirrors in my opinion :) 

Thanks a lot! I worked hard to find the best solution for all details, and I think too that this part is one of the best for side view mirrors for these type of cars :)

8 hours ago, Sérgio said:

Your holy grail for me is still the 57 Chevy, but this F40 is really close to the top1 of your builds!

Thanks a lot, I am really glad you like it! (I loved to build each model, but maybe '57 Chevy is my favorite too :) )

Absolutely gorgeous. I especially like how you have managed to half-plate the black line all the way around. There are some details on this model that are better than on the Creator Expert version!

On 2/22/2022 at 4:21 PM, Lasse D said:

Absolutely gorgeous. I especially like how you have managed to half-plate the black line all the way around. There are some details on this model that are better than on the Creator Expert version!

Thanks a lot, I am really glad that you think so! I worked hard to find the best solutions for all details, there were lots of versions before the finalization :)

8 hours ago, Dragunov2 said:

Very sweet!!!

We need more exotic cars like this

Thanks a lot! I am working on a retro race car from 60s :)