bitbamboo

Starting your MOC-saic? Which Art set is for you?

Despite the opinion that the Lego mosaic theme is boring , a recent huge example together with the announcement of the new Batman and Elvis sets have triggered my interest in building one

A quick search shows that there are a few software options to help with the initial shaping link 1, link 2 & many others, but people with experience points out that manual adjustments will be required

So, basically you have a clear path ahead to draft it; but then, how do you source the pieces? Which set could be the most cost-effective for your project? All official mosaics bring the base bricks, a frame in black or white and up to 16 colors of 1x1 round tiles or plates in good amounts ,but they are not easy to compare.

So I have put together the following table that can be used beforehand, so you limit your palette to what's available in a set (some tools already includes this), or afterwards, choosing if any would solve your needs better than a BricksNPieces / Brincklink order

Notes:

- I have excluded the World Map 31203 because if you are considering that size, clearly you are not into cost optimisation

- The submission of the upcoming Ideas set Starry Night is not flat and looks great, this would require different parts sourcing. @Themiddlebrick uses a noteworthy layered technique in Boba Fett mosaic artwork

- Art Project 21226 is listed based on the Lego instructions' last page, and Batman 31205 and Elvis 31204 are listed based on info from Brothers-Brick review ; the rest comes from bricklink

- A few DOTS sets might be good parts packs as well, I have included them

Set Number   21226 31197 31198 31199 31200 31201 31202 31204 31205 41935 41950 41951 41952
Set (nick)Name   Art Project Marilyn The Beatles Iron Man The Sith Hogwarth Mickey Elvis Batman Lots of Dots Lettering Dots Message Board Large board
Num. Pieces   4138 3341 2933 3167 3406 4249 2658 3441 4167 1040 722 531 943
Frame colour   White Black Black Black Black Black Black Black Dark Black no no White, thin Med. Az.?, thin
TILES or plates   TILES TILES TILES plates plates plates plates TILES rough plates TILES, shapes TILES, shapes TILES, shapes TILES, shapes
Other parts   201 187 187 193 193 202 197 200 200   + part 27925 + part 27925  
Bricklink name Color Number 3937 3154 2746 2974 3213 4047 2461 3241 3967 1040      
White 1 474   149 61 187 369 835 71 257 60   46+16 167
Light Bluish Gray 86     51 31 110 236 59 26 277        
Dark Bluish Gray 85   131 141 91 151   79 52 216        
Black 11 254 629 698 476 877 593 662 596 566 60      
Dark Red 59       214 328 503 96 339          
Red 5 190     308 286 15 213 80 112 40 124+16 46+16  
Coral 220                   120     167
Dark Brown 120     554 196 200     206          
Reddish Brown 88 307   250 191     76 233 165        
Dark Tan 69     137 97                  
Tan 2 241   283 155     32 106 380        
Light Nougat 90               360          
Nougat 28               200          
Medium Nougat 150 281   29 208       182 153        
Dark Orange 68     85 162 125     179 55        
Orange 4 121   74             40 42 46+16  
Bright Light Orange 110 175   65               4+16   127
Yellow 3 299 587               120 124+16    
Bright Light Yellow 103 119       92         20      
Neon Yellow 236                          
Yellowish Green 158                   20 42 46+16  
Lime 34 166         4              
Olive Green 155                          
Dark Green 80                   20      
Green 6           499             127
Bright Green 36 148               210 20 4+16    
Sand Green 48                   20      
Dark Turquoise 39                   120      
Light Aqua 152 317               194 40 42+16 46+16  
Dark Blue 63 660   121 529 447   409 206 423 40      
Blue 7           431     293 120      
Dark Azure 153 127                        
Medium Azure 156   587       10     139 40 74+16 46+16 106?
Medium Blue 42               230          
Bright Light Blue 105     57                    
Sand Blue 55     52 23 139     175          
Dark Purple 89                   60      
Medium Lavender 157                 95   42    
Lavender 154                   40 4+16   167?
Magenta 71   46               40      
Dark Pink 47   587                      
Bright Pink 104 58 587                   46+16  
Flat Silver 95           630              
Pearl Dark Gray 77         271 153     432        
Pearl Gold 115       232   604              
Trans-blue?                       30?    
Trans-blue?                       30?    
Trans-blue?                         40?  

The Lego Art discussion thread could be a good place to talk about this, but being in doubt I have started a separate thread because I do not want to launch a discussion on which one is "best". Do not hesitate in merging with that thread

Edited by bitbamboo
Added info for Batman and Elvis on Feb 23rd

Cool, yes, and we should also mention Lego Art Remix at https://lego-art-remix.com/.  Personally, I think that one it is the best, and there isn't much more you could possibly add to make it any more perfect!

Also, I think your eye is correct...  The Elvis Art set 31204 will include a few hundred "nougat" tiles, and I think that will be the first time they've ever appeared in that exact color.  Naturally, they made them to add a lot more subtlety to the skin tones.  Plus, I think it has more of both "medium nougat" and "dark orange" tiles too.  So I think that's all of the flesh-tone colors that are currently available in the 2022 palette, since "salmon", "light salmon" and "dark nougat" plastic is not currently in active production.  So I will get the set, just so I can use the tiles to make a totally different portrait I am planning.  I don't care about Elvis, and I won't make his portrait at all, but it's definitely the ideal parts-pack set for making a portrait of anyone else you like!

And ultimately, how long do we have to wait to get round tiles in "classic green", "dark green", and "dark purple"?  You can buy fake ones in bulk from bootleg manufacturers, but I do not dare type their name, haha!  =D

Edited by The Real Indiana Jones

On 2/4/2022 at 1:38 AM, The Real Indiana Jones said:

Cool, yes, and we should also mention Lego Art Remix at https://lego-art-remix.com/.  Personally, I think that one it is the best, and there isn't much more you could possibly add to make it any more perfect!

Also, I think your eye is correct...  The Elvis Art set 31204 will include a few hundred "nougat" tiles, and I think that will be the first time they've ever appeared in that exact color.  Naturally, they made them to add a lot more subtlety to the skin tones.  Plus, I think it has more of both "medium nougat" and "dark orange" tiles too.  So I think that's all of the flesh-tone colors that are currently available in the 2022 palette, since "salmon", "light salmon" and "dark nougat" plastic is not currently in active production.  So I will get the set, just so I can use the tiles to make a totally different portrait I am planning.  I don't care about Elvis, and I won't make his portrait at all, but it's definitely the ideal parts-pack set for making a portrait of anyone else you like!

And ultimately, how long do we have to wait to get round tiles in "classic green", "dark green", and "dark purple"?  You can buy fake ones in bulk from bootleg manufacturers, but I do not dare type their name, haha!  =D

Agreed, I'm looking forward to those nougat round tiles! I am also refreshing the Bricks and Pieces page on LEGO SaH daily waiting for the new basic green round tiles to arrive! There are a few in the globe set but I'm looking for more like 100!

Dark green would be a dream... I just hope with TLG's investment in the dots and art themes that we get them someday in the not too distant future!

@bitbamboo In your table, it says the Batman mosaic frame is in Dark Black. I'm assuming it is a typo and you mean black (or maybe blue?). I'm curious because I am looking to put a dark brown frame on one of my mosaics but the 2 x 2 corner plates are not currently available in Dark Brown

On 2/21/2022 at 1:02 PM, Themiddlebrick said:

Agreed, I'm looking forward to those nougat round tiles! I am also refreshing the Bricks and Pieces page on LEGO SaH daily waiting for the new basic green round tiles to arrive! There are a few in the globe set but I'm looking for more like 100!

Dark green would be a dream... I just hope with TLG's investment in the dots and art themes that we get them someday in the not too distant future!

Ah, yes, the ones in The Globe set are basic classic Green, finally...!  =D

But a few round tile colors are still missing in action:

- Dark Green

- Sand Green

- Dark Purple

- Medium Lavender (Thanos's color)

- Pearl Dark Gray (a.k.a. Gunmetal Gray)

I tried spray-painting the greens and gunmetals a few months ago, and the sheen looks OK as a temporary place-holder.  Also, (trigger warning: clone brands) a lot of these tile colors can be bought in bulk from various bootleg manufacturers...  For art tiles, the quality might be adequate to just fill in the blanks for now, and then you can replace them later when the real ones are finally available...  Some of the colors are a tiny bit different hue from the official Lego colors, and some have a bit of a ripple or a dimple on the surface.  It also depends on how loyalist and purist you are!  =D

The Brothers Brick review of Batman mosaic confirms the brand new medium lavender 1 x 1 round plate , not tile. Although there are 1x1 square tiles available

53 minutes ago, bitbamboo said:

The Brothers Brick review of Batman mosaic confirms the brand new medium lavender 1 x 1 round plate , not tile. Although there are 1x1 square tiles available

Thanks!  Out of curiosity, what colors on the current 2022 palette do not have 1x1 ROUND PLATES (i.e. studs) made yet?  For example, all of the various lighter blues? 

I am using tiles here, and I mentioned just above which tile colors are still missing, but I may also do one with studs too in the future...

And I have a feeling that every new art set will include one or two new tile/stud colors, just to tempt us to get it!  =D

I'm using tiles as well, but the stacking technique mentioned in Batman review makes plates to look tempting; Anyway I'll probably go for the layered idea as it improves the detail and I have limitted space.

My source of truth is obviously bricklink , and my biggest surpise has been that green 1x1 tile is new from 21332 The Globe.

So, not yet aware of the color gaps in plates. I'll share if I finally need to investigate them.

There are a couple of novelty-tiles in Elvis but I do not think that adding new colors will be activelly seek when selecting the motives. There are very few missing colors and most images can be rendered with the above palette, in any case time will tell.

Hmm...  Or you could also stack up 1 or 2 or 3 trans-clear round studs, and then cap off each one with the colored stud or tile on top.

Or alternately, have you seen this one, where he stacks up all 1x1 square trans-clear plates, so they look more and more opaque, and so it looks like ice-floes in the ocean.  Imagine this but with a dark blue background like the ocean?

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/80036-mosaic-david-bowie-as-the-thin-white-duke/The Thin White Duke - Face Contour Detail

I was a bit disappointed that the first two reviews of the Elvis set didn't mention the new nougat tiles...at least Brickfanatics corrected theirs (no surprise seeing you call out that omission @bitbamboo!) 

Personally, the biggest gap in the plates' color palette is the lack of dark green (earth green) which is the one that I have the hardest time correcting. I can usually find a solution to lighter blue between some of the "greener" blues, light aqua, medium azure, which are at least close.

I think that more than the mosaic sets, TLG's dedication to the dots theme will give us more colors in tiles- though in smaller quantities obviously. I wonder how successful the mosaic theme is overall - there is definitely a niche audience, but is it enough for long-term sustainability? I wonder. I honestly don't know. I hope so though because I appreciate their willingness to experiment and I'd like to see it pay off.

Yes, so the colors still missing for round plates (studs) are: dark green, light nougat, nougat, coral, lavender, medium lavender, bright light blue, medium blue, and dark azure.

So aside from dark greens and flesh tones, it's all of the exotic colors like light purples and variously subtle light blues you get in the Dots sets. 

Also, that new key-tool that they include in the Dots sets is excellent.  Grab one on your next BrickLink order!

Hey all, as I mentioned elsewhere, it's worth noting here that there are two new official colors in the Lego palette this year...  Aside from "neon yellow", there is a distinctly new flesh tone that BrickLink is calling "medium brown".  It's a step darker than medium nougat, and a step lighter than reddish brown, so a nice coffee-with-milk kind of color.  You may have noticed it in set 76399 Hogwarts Magical Trunk, with the interchangeable student minifigs, and some minidolls in Friends sets too.  Hopefully, they will make art tiles of that new color, because it's a perfect shade for more subtle shading on art portraits!

I think they previously had the wrong RGB value for it, but now it's fixed...  They might also need to correct some of the photos of parts...

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=84086#T=C&C=240

Naturally, the reason this topic is defunct now, is that almost all of the tile and stud colors are available in bulk on Pick-A-Brick for just 3 to 5 cents each now!  Here's convenient links for you.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/pick-and-build/pick-a-brick?query=35381&page=1&perPage=400&includeOutOfStock=true

https://www.lego.com/en-us/pick-and-build/pick-a-brick?query=6141&perPage=400&includeOutOfStock=true

Plus, If there are any subtle custom colors you might need, like violet, or salmon, or cafe-au-lait, et cetera, you can get nice quality off-brand parts on Ali-Express.  Here's a few examples.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803946227208.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000023.1.258be0f6hxZJht&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt&_randl_shipto=US

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803948166967.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000023.3.258be0f6hxZJht&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt&_randl_shipto=US

Let us know if you have similar suggestions.  I'm planning some bigger works, and it's simpler to buy it all in bigger bulk.  And I'm tired of waiting for Lego to release those last few colors!  =)