Sign in to follow this  
BarfolomewMog

(MOC) IG-88 Battle Mech

Hiya

Here is the second MOC in this series which follows on from Boba Fett's Battle Mech.

I was reluctant to start this one as IG-88 has been done many times before and I wasn't sure how to tackle it and it stayed unfinished for a long time whilst I worked on the other mechs in this series.

The upper torso with it's space for the minifig and the shoulder joint gave me no end of grief but seeing IG-11 in action in Episode 1 of the Mandalorian helped me realise how he would move in battle (instead of the stiffly awkward way he was portrayed in Empire) and that the important thing was to try to capture this sense of motion.

Anyway, here he is and I'm glad to get this one out of the way haha.

I hope you like it!

51849830619_3e8dff4b5f_c.jpgIG-88 Bender-Class Battle Mech by Greg Dalink, on Flickr

51849830449_c53708cf1e_c.jpgIG-88 Bender-Class Battle Mech by Greg Dalink, on Flickr

51849570053_27b8524f16_c.jpgIG-88 Bender-Class Battle Mech by Greg Dalink, on Flickr

I really like this guy! The details are super fun and we'll realized. I think the picture with his helmet off and the tiny IG head sticking out is my favorite. Well done!

15 hours ago, Geihlen said:

the tiny IG head sticking out

13 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Funny detail with the IG head

I like his little pin head too!

Why would a droid in a hard suit need a helmet? I don't know but here we are!

The helmet was a later addition to the model as originally he was much smaller in scale but all the other mechs ended up with helmets so I added one for IG.

It has an axle through the centre which slots into the anti stud in the minifig's head to hold it in position but will fall off if tilted too far.

Initially I tried using a pin but every time I removed the helmet it would rip off IG's minifig head so I settled for the axle.

10 hours ago, karmajay said:

great skeleton

Thanks! It was actually a lot of fun coming up with the design but not so much fun incorporating it into the landscape so that it would stay in position.

The landscape butts up against the Sarlacc pit in Boba's model.

10 hours ago, MaximillianRebo said:

detail in the legs and torso

I worked from reference pictures to try and capture some of the prominent features like the hoses around his legs and the greebly bits around his torso.

I know IG-88 is full of greebles but I didn't want it's hard suit to look too messy so I tried to strike a balance between greebles and clean lines.

Thank you all for checking out my MOC!

I'm impressed that the helmet actually attaches to the the regular sized IG head. I had originally assumed you just stuck it on there for the pictures. That makes me like it even more.

I like the first pic best. The way he is standing there, ready to strike... Awesome! 

I always liked the way IG-88 looked, so I see these models more as big figures and not as Mechsuits :grin:

Edited by Gray Gear

Excited to see more of these Star Wars bounty hunter mechs after this one and the Boba Fett versions. Also the best picture by far has got to be the one with the minifigure-scale IG-88's head sticking out of the massive body (which now attaches apparently? Great work there).

One question is who the humanoid skeleton is supposed to be. Is that a helmet on the skull or something else?

Very cool.  I think if it weren't a battle mech there would be things to say about the proportions as it compares to the "real" IG-88, but as a mech, it is very cool.  Honestly, I think I like these slightly chunkier proportions better!

On 2/1/2022 at 2:59 AM, Vigerust said:

Love the de-heades model

On 2/1/2022 at 8:01 AM, SATSOK said:

You nailed it !!!

On 2/1/2022 at 8:21 AM, TheBeeze said:

Excellent!

Thanks!

On 2/1/2022 at 4:37 AM, Geihlen said:

I had originally assumed you just stuck it on there for the pictures

I tried a few variations where the helmet was attached to the body (similarly to Boba) but none of them looked any good.

I figured a removable helmet was a reasonable compromise.

On 2/1/2022 at 8:39 AM, Gray Gear said:

I see these models more as big figures and not as Mechsuits

That was part of the effect I was going for.

On 2/2/2022 at 5:32 AM, Mr Maniac said:

who the humanoid skeleton is supposed to be. Is that a helmet on the skull or something else?

Just some bones in the desert to go with the Krayt dragon. I found the head rummaging around in the minifig tub. It's from one of my kids' Hero Factory sets and I liked the alien look about it and thought it might be a bit more interesting than a regular skull.

On 2/2/2022 at 7:39 AM, coreyschaaf said:

Love the part selection

Thanks! I tried keeping the model as slim as possible, especially around the hips

On 2/2/2022 at 9:37 AM, ZCerberus said:

I think if it weren't a battle mech there would be things to say about the proportions

I agree! Being a mech gave me a lot more freedom in taking artistic license.

On 2/11/2022 at 8:17 PM, Actionfigure said:

Well done!

On 2/12/2022 at 3:29 AM, NoOneOfImportance said:

Great Job!

Thanks for the kind words!

I finally found some time and bulked up IG-88's base a bit to marry up to Boba's, so here they are together.

Happy Star Wars Day!

52048550652_b155d3f981_c.jpgHelmets Up by Greg Dalink, on Flickr

52049642123_d5a6814c5b_c.jpgHelmets Down by Greg Dalink, on Flickr

15 hours ago, Mr Ogel said:

perfect presentation

Thank you so much, it's taken a lot of learning and a lot of tweaking to get to this point and I'm pretty happy with the end result.

Finally, I can move on haha!

Next mech will be uploaded very soon.