Sign in to follow this  
SNIPE

Youtube lego video thieves watchdog thread

This thread has been created because of a large rise in Lego YouTube thieves;

I normally would PM the video owner on eurobricks (if they even were on euro bricks) and also used to use the stolen MOCs reporting thread over in the technic forum but this has gotten out of hand.

I should not have to see this crap cluttering up YouTube when I search for lego related queries by upload date nor should I have to constantly waste my life reporting it to YouTube to no avail/

It is not just about the lego models that are stolen but also the time, effort and money put into making the lego videos.

So if anyone comes across another THIEF feel free to post it here and/or PM the owner of the video if possible (I probably will PM them anyhow).

Here's two to start, who have littered YouTube with pages and pages of stolen videos from: @grohl, brunojj1, puzzlego, jk brickworks, brick bending, and many other popular YouTube channels. (I could only tag 1 user max for some reason when editing this thread)

I'll edit this topic instead of making many replies to keep it clean.

Regards, S.

start of list:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzldliR0jYfKXG0dLTVWb8w

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfPSBp3Jmm4ue-xykDR88Cg

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9IdPAjKHjt2QQ3h4nsaVGg

-to be continued-

Edited by SNIPE

2 hours ago, SNIPE said:

It is not just about the lego models that are stolen but also the time, effort and money put into making the lego videos.

And also the thief profiting off other's work via the ad revenue on the videos. There was a thread here not too long ago about an individual on U-Toob who had taken a bunch of EB members freely shared digital files (LDD/studio/LDraw etc) from Bricksafe/Brickshelf links, turned them into build instruction videos and was collecting a decent amount per ad view.

1 hour ago, koalayummies said:

And also the thief profiting off other's work via the ad revenue on the videos. There was a thread here not too long ago about an individual on U-Toob who had taken a bunch of EB members freely shared digital files (LDD/studio/LDraw etc) from Bricksafe/Brickshelf links, turned them into build instruction videos and was collecting a decent amount per ad view.

Was that the trains? The Great Train Robbery!

1 hour ago, MAB said:

Was that the trains? The Great Train Robbery!

Yeah that's the one, the thread discussing it was in trains but they took from all over.

On 1/28/2022 at 5:47 PM, koalayummies said:

I can understand the issue if people are just reposting someone’s else videos, which I believe is what the OP means?

Does the above though really constitute stolen work?
If they are taking the time to convert the LDD files into full instructions on video for people to follow, not sure I really see an issue with this.
Very similar to what people do with retail Lego sets sometimes, or other assembly/maintenance type video?
 I guess it does depend on whether they present the final model as their own work, or make clear it isn’t.

1 hour ago, Ajf350d said:

Does the above though really constitute stolen work?

If they are taking the time to convert the LDD files into full instructions on video for people to follow, not sure I really see an issue with this.
Very similar to what people do with retail Lego sets sometimes, or other assembly/maintenance type video?
 I guess it does depend on whether they present the final model as their own work, or make clear it isn’t.

Did you miss the first sentence of the post you quoted regarding the profiting off other people's intellectual property without informing them or sharing the income? And no they were not crediting the original creators. But this thread isn't really about the opinion of what constitutes theft so I'm not going to reply further as the OP wanted this thread to be about highlighting those currently perpetrating the grievance. I merely replied with an example to call attention to an overlooked aspect of MOC theft in the form of directly profiting from other's work via video ad revenue (as opposed to the classic example of selling of other's instructions).

Edited by koalayummies

I’ll reply to acknowledge your response. I did see the first line, but my views differ on the specific aspect I mentioned.

Although the theft of MOCs is plagiarism and is the cardinal sin of our community, I am more concerned about possible (hypothetical) theft on the ideas for new themes (non-licensed) topic. People including me share possible ideas for new themes, and therefore sometimes model ideas can sprout from those, but it could be very easy for a MOC stealing lowlife to claim these as their own, there is a lot of cool ideas there, and I want to protect that.

Don't share those super neato ideas that those absolute bounders at TLG might steal from you then. If it is truly such a very real concern.

This thread is to try and track out the people making money off other people's hard work. It is not a general tin-foil hat space to worry about "them stealings me ideas!"

2 minutes ago, Peppermint_M said:

Don't share those super neato ideas that those absolute bounders at TLG might steal from you then. If it is truly such a very real concern.

This thread is to try and track out the people making money off other people's hard work. It is not a general tin-foil hat space to worry about "them stealings me ideas!"

Valid point, but isn’t that the point of the topic, to post or “super neato ideas” to get our ideas out and to receive  feedback, also I wanted to make my idea an official theme, but unfortunately I was told not to contact TLG designers because of possible liability issues, related to plagiarism.

P.S (My hat’s made out of Lego bricks, not tin-foil haha)

Not on this thread, that is in the other thread.  This thread is for, as the OP said, Youtube channels that use other's MOCs without permission. I notice in the relevant thread you were directed to the proper channel for submitting your own thread ideas.

Again, LEGO designers are not going to come into the forum and read all the "Ideas for New Themes" for the exact reason they cannot take fan submissions personally or outside of the World Building website you were linked there. So you are fine to talk about and get feedback in the correct thread.

Not Here. It is not on topic. This is a forum, not a chat board, plus Discord servers worth their salt also like users to keep on server topic also. So please, stick to the correct places.

1 hour ago, Peppermint_M said:

Not on this thread, that is in the other thread.  This thread is for, as the OP said, Youtube channels that use other's MOCs without permission. I notice in the relevant thread you were directed to the proper channel for submitting your own thread ideas.

Again, LEGO designers are not going to come into the forum and read all the "Ideas for New Themes" for the exact reason they cannot take fan submissions personally or outside of the World Building website you were linked there. So you are fine to talk about and get feedback in the correct thread.

Not Here. It is not on topic. This is a forum, not a chat board, plus Discord servers worth their salt also like users to keep on server topic also. So please, stick to the correct places.

I wasn’t getting off topic, I was justifying why I put it on that topic, my concern was for others, not me.