Sign in to follow this  
MCD

[MOC] 1:21 Ford F-Max European Truck Transporter

I've been wanting to share this one properly for a while now. I know quite a few people may know this MOC as I released it to www.rebrickable.com in late 2020. Since then its had a very subtle refresh and accent colour change. As a bit of background those who know me know I tend to focus mainly on 1:21 trucks based on the 30.4x20mm wheel with either a 49.5mm or 43.2mm dictating the scale. With quite a growing collection I had started 'stacking' trucks in my cabinets! While browsing the web I happened upon the following picture:

640x426.jpg

I just couldn't stop looking at it! What an amazing truck and setup! So after a lot of research I discovered this version was built by FVG in Germany. These trucks are huge with an adjustable length drawbar, various adjustable platforms and an ultralow body line to allowing trucks to be carried within European height restrictions. More digging and I was able to find a schematic in a brochure which I was able to import to CAD and start some rough scaling for Lego:

640x272.PNG

Basing this around 49.5mm up front and 43.2mm at the rear I was able to start planning the build. It became quickly apparent the chassis needed to be as low as 4 stud off the ground and I needed to fit quite a lot of actuators in there... challenge on!

640x643.PNG

The build originally started out with the stunning Volvo FH cab designed by Marco aka 'Technicprojects' However as I wanted this to be 100% my own design, I had to quickly develop my own cab, I opted for the Ford Fmax you see in the following images. I'm not sure I've 100% captured it... but it still looks a great truck:

800x434.jpg

The model comprises 6 x small and 1 x large Actuator. The Trailer is detachable with extendible draw bar and the whole truck features 18 wheels. The cab is fitted with HOG steering and to note! - all the wheels move freely and the truck can be moved around even when loaded - and with no chassis sag!! I can now show you the loading process:

1.  THE DRAWBAR IS SHORTENED AND THE TRAILER FRONT PLATFORM IS LEVELLED TO THE FRONT UNIT TO FORM A LOADING BRIDGE:

800x368.jpg

800x368.jpg

2. THE BACK PLATFORM IS LOWERED TO CREAT DRIVE ON RAMP:

800x359.jpg

800x436.jpg

As you can see, the truck can drive over the platform bridge, this has an additional support leg you can drop down for this purpose.

800x404.jpg

3. NOW THE FRONT UNIT PLATFORM CAN BE RAISED, TRAILER FRONT PLATFORM DROPPED AND DRAWBAR EXTENDED:

800x377.jpg

800x382.jpg

4. WE CAN NOW LOAD THE SECOND TRUCK - NOTE THE TRAILER FRONT RAMP IS NOW NOSED DOWN TO BRING THE CAB UNDER HEIGHT RESTRICTIONS

800x414.jpg

800x387.jpg

5. THE MAIN PLATFORM CAN NOW RAISE TO FURTHER NOSE THE CAB AND PROVIDE ROOM FOR THE LAST TRUCK

800x423.jpg

6. WE CAN NOW BACK THE LAST TRUCK ON - YES ITS NORMAL FOR THEM TO HANG OFF THE BACK LIKE THIS - AND THIS MODEL WILL HOLD IT FINE:

800x403.jpg

800x429.jpg

And that's about it! Fully loaded! There are a range of clip on 15L wheel supports and the various platforms have pinholes installed to accommodate. The 'liftarm's' are 'knitted' in construction so the model is very strong. Also all pivots are offset so platforms can level flush.

The trucks used are the Volvo FH & Mercedes Actros Designed by 'Technicprojects' which I have built in White and the grey truck is my recent Scania G370 MOC based on the Mack Anthem. Interestingly, because I followed the scale tightly, every truck model built in this scale sits perfectly and all platforms can adjust to suit many combinations (more down the post)

800x380.jpg

800x467.jpg

800x458.jpg

800x361.jpg

800x426.jpg

I've had great fun with this model! Below are some various pictures over evolution, some including the Volvo Cab which now lives on the 4x2 Chassis above. You can also see some of the other carry combos possible! Looking on line these FVG trucks can carry rigids and also tractors in various combinations. Some also have a 'helper' axle making the  front unit a 6x2. I tried this, but didn't like it as the wheel jammed on the chassis:

640x300.jpg

640x369.jpg

640x392.jpg

640x357.jpg

That's it really! Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed the build details and pictures? Any questions or comments? please let me know!

Mike

Edited by MCD
gramma!

An interesting MOC based on a cool picture - with bricks it looks much better. The trucks on their own are great and the description of the loading process was nice to read too. Fantastic that it can move with all the load.

When I see digital caliper, I knew that we deal here with perfection. Very impressive build.

I saw it on Rebickable some time ago. It really is an impressive thing you've built! Bravo

(On a personal taste note: I like the blue accents better than the green ones.)

Just excellent. I was really excited, when scrolling, and more trucks started to arrive.

Wow, a very unusual MOC. I think it is great you decided to build your own cab instead of just copying one from another MOC. Turned out really nice! 

Edited by Gray Gear

Wow! Thanks for such a positive response, sorry I haven't come back sooner, been away all weekend.

@The01 Thanks and glad you like the individual trucks... I have way too many now!

@GerritvdG Glad you enjoyed the details and pictures.. thanks

@1gor Oh yes.. got to get the engineering tool if the builds worth doing! :pir_tong2:

@phmzt Yes the lime Green was always a bit toy like in the end... now looks more proffessional.

@efferman Real compliment from you :) Yes not many have tackled the ford... now I see why!?! 

@karmadrome Thanks for appreciating the presentation.. took ages! :pir_laugh2:

@nerdsforprez Im not to great on the video side of things... what would you like to see? i can try...

@ludovisser Thankyou

@Gray Gear Thanks... yes needed to be all my own design for sure...

3 hours ago, MCD said:

Wow! Thanks for such a positive response, sorry I haven't come back sooner, been away all weekend.

@nerdsforprez Im not to great on the video side of things... what would you like to see? i can try...

Its not a big thing.  I know that taking the time for video, editing etc. can be a pain sometimes.  

Your presentation is actually great with the explanation and the pictures.  I actually think that a video would be less work!!  :tongue:

Anyways, and video, even if it is with a cell phone and little editing is helpful to see the functions.  Especially in a build that is so unique.  

Great job on another great truck. I like the adjustability of the truck, with varied options for different trucks that are being transported. The colors and decorations also look great.