lcvisser

[WIP] [MT] US conventional truck ("Black Cat v2")

I missed out on the 5571 Black Cat as a high school kid (other priorities...), but ever since I got my hands on it a few years ago, and inspired by Andrea Grazi's truck and Ingmar Spijkhoven's trucks, I wanted to build a "Black Cat v2". An upgraded version with modern parts and more functions, such as full suspension, working engine, pneumatic pump for trailer attachments and a working fifth wheel coupling.  This is turning into a "Magnum Opus" for me, since I've been working so long on it, rebuilding again and again various parts. Now that I have a rolling chassis, I felt it was time to share. :classic:

800x600.jpeg

I'm building digitally also, mostly to assess what parts I need to purchase and try out things:

800x374.png

The differential that's peeking through the chassis is intended to have an idling engine by the PF motor (while e.g. the pneumatic pump is running) and that is "added" to the motion of the rear wheels.

I posted the rear and front axles before. The fifth wheel coupling is adapted from @functionalTechnic Scania-inspired truck.

Since I now got a rolling chassis that I'm happy with, I hope to make progress a bit faster and provide updates. Feel free to comment in the mean time; advice is always welcome too. :classic:

Edited by ludovisser

Cool idea, and I look forward to watching this project. The idea of a Magnum Opus is fun to me. Maybe a technic version of Launch and Load Seaport is in my future as well...

Keep up the good work.

10 hours ago, ludovisser said:

upgraded version with modern parts

where are frames, crossbeams etc.? :)

@Jurss mostly here:

800x600.jpeg

This block houses two gearboxes: one to turn on/off the pneumatic pump (behind the battery box) and one to open/close the fifth wheel coupling via the small linear actuator that's just visible. When the battery box is turned on, the M-motor always runs a drive shaft that adds up with the drive shaft from the tandem axles via a differential. This keeps the fake engine that will be in the front running "stationary" as you will.

The HOG also goes through this "box" (I sure hope I got my dimensioning right, because it looks big....)

Here's view on what's inside:

800x443.png800x982.png

While it took me really long to get everything inside the small space available, I need to take it all apart again: the HOG crosses the drive shaft via a red idler gear (8z - 16z idler - 8z). Unfortunately, the steering is a bit heavy, which puts so much strain on the idler gear that it actually stalls the M-motor. I think I can fix it by connecting the HOG directly to the CV joint that goes to the front axle (instead of to the steering wheel in the cabin), mirroring the whole thing... So be prepared for an update that will look very similar :wink:

Still building:

Completely overhauled the mechanics inside, now working nicely. Started to build the exterior:

800x594.png

Still working on it. :blush:

800x479.png

Life is getting a bit in the way, so building mostly in Stud.io with small proof-of-concepts on the side. It took me probably 3 weeks just to get the wheel arches right. Now going into my second week of the doors... But will get there, eventually. Magnus opus are not done overnight :wink:

Comments welcome, especially good ideas for that windshield corner...

This looks great so far. Love it!

I wouldn't compare it to the black cat, though,  since the official set is ugly, overhyped and overpriced!

Thanks!

I think the original Black Cat was great in its time, although admittedly that’s also nostalgia speaking. So I see mine as an hommage maybe …

Awesome:wub:

Will you do the ol' rebrickable, and upload an instruction?

Edited by Polarlicht

Thanks!

First I need to actually build it, see if it works out as I hope. At 2600 parts I'm definitely not going to do real instructions, but I can upload the .io file to Rebrickable.

In case anyone is actually curious to know: I'm building. Of course a lot doesn't fit or work as intended and needs rework, plus despite using a BOM I still forgot to order some bricks. Also, I'm thinking that despite careful measuring the fuel tanks are a bit too big, as is the sleeper, but let's see what it looks like when it's done.

We're getting somewhere:

640x480.JPG640x480.JPG640x480.JPG640x480.JPG

Wow this looks, great. Would love to see how you worked the front suspension in while keeping it so low. 

@2ndgen thanks! The clearance inside the fenders is indeed very little. The wheels rub very easily, so the usefulness of the front suspension is questionable. I think I’ll leave it out in future models, but I’m glad I tried. The fenders were very difficult and I’m happy how they turned out. 

@Aleh I followed that build. It’s massive indeed!

1 hour ago, lcvisser said:

@2ndgen thanks! The clearance inside the fenders is indeed very little. The wheels rub very easily, so the usefulness of the front suspension is questionable. I think I’ll leave it out in future models, but I’m glad I tried. The fenders were very difficult and I’m happy how they turned out. 

@Aleh I followed that build. It’s massive indeed!

I love that it has suspension, I think it really adds to the model, and yes I read about the hours you have into those fenders they look amazing. As does the whole truck. 

I'm trying to rebuild 8285 to have suspension, and it's just been a fight to get the stance right, and front axle figured out. 

I just love how low you managed to keep the truck with your design, looking forward to the competed model, and hopefully video of it doing its thing.