Sign in to follow this  
syzygy87

[MOC] Ford F100 (1972) RC

A few months ago I built something like this. 
It is remote controlled, has two manual gears and suspension.

PF: 2x L motor, servo, small BB box, front lights.

Color-wise I was aiming for something like this:

1972_ford_f-100_1604974956385b13218fc5c8

Rebrickablehttps://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-88031/syzygy87/ford-f100-1972-rc-suspension/#details

51464589231_66e795242d_w.jpgA2 by Jakub Marcisz, on Flickr
51463827897_82bca532a7_w.jpgA2,5 by Jakub Marcisz, on Flickr
51465532130_abfafd200b_w.jpgA3 by Jakub Marcisz, on Flickr
51464829388_16358179d0_w.jpgA4 by Jakub Marcisz, on Flickr
51464580951_002e15238c_w.jpgA6 by Jakub Marcisz, on Flickr
51464580231_99b89ff232_w.jpgB2 by Jakub Marcisz, on Flickr
51463818657_cfc330a23a_w.jpgB1 by Jakub Marcisz, on Flickr
51465313809_fdde5315e0_w.jpgA5 by Jakub Marcisz, on Flickr
51465516265_aee1b903c5_w.jpgZ1 by Jakub Marcisz, on Flickr
51463811032_f4982f5219_w.jpgkokpit2 by Jakub Marcisz, on Flickr
51465516950_957d77b582_w.jpgkokpit1 by Jakub Marcisz, on Flickr
51465306279_d8710b5b69_w.jpgC2 by Jakub Marcisz, on Flickr
51465306764_ea20a9294b_w.jpgC1 by Jakub Marcisz, on Flickr

Do you like it? :)

This looks very good, I love the these system builds and also very cool that it's motorised!

That wooden (?) box is a great way to hide a battery box. The driving performance isn't bad either.

I have a soft spot for pick-ups from that era. That one looks great and exactly my cup of tea - system exterior with some Technic mechanics inside.

I can see your spent a lot of time on the exterior details and they are great, but one important feature missing is the split line between the cab and the bed.

In your build the cab is seamlessly attached to the bed and given the level of details on the rest of the bodywork I don't quite get why your went in that direction.

Classic pick-ups are typically body-on-frame design and require that cab and bed are separate to lower the load on the bodywork under chassis deformation.

Any thoughts?

32 minutes ago, proran said:

In your build the cab is seamlessly attached to the bed and given the level of details on the rest of the bodywork I don't quite get why your went in that direction.

Classic pick-ups are typically body-on-frame design and require that cab and bed are separate to lower the load on the bodywork under chassis deformation.

Any thoughts?

You're absolutely right - I missed that detail, my bad. Thanks for the feedback! :)

Brilliant MOC! I can only fascinate with the author, his MOC and American industry...

I echo the other comments, well done! Pickups from this era are very suitable for Lego due to their already blocky appearance. I like them a lot and might try one myself some day!

Looks really good although it may sit a little high, those older trucks usually ride a lot lower than their present day counterparts. Love to see a belly shot, thanks for showing the build.

This one also looks beautiful, very nice details. I like the underside as well, the flat gearbox layout. The only thing that bothers me is the driveshaft to the rear axle being very steep. Could that be made less steep by using a new CV joint on the axle end? Furthermore, the gearbox may also be packed tighter lengthwise to gain some space? (A 11x7 frame may be handy around the gearbox).

BTW, is there some reason for the seemigly unnecessarily complex front suspension? Seems like it could be done simpler with some towball arms. I am guessing it’s not a lack of parts as your other model has them.

11 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

it may sit a little high, those older trucks usually ride a lot lower than their present day counterparts.

It's because of the suspension. It prevents rubbing on the fenders ;) But I know it spoils the look a bit - it should sit as low as on this photo.

I'm thinking of converting it to a version without PF and suspension - just for the shelf. I don't play with it anyway. Then it could be lower.

10 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

The only thing that bothers me is the driveshaft to the rear axle being very steep. Could that be made less steep by using a new CV joint on the axle end?

Yes, this combination is a bit risky - however, in the apartment (with relatively easy terrain) no cardan has broken :) But it's definitely not a trial truck.

10 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

BTW, is there some reason for the seemigly unnecessarily complex front suspension? Seems like it could be done simpler with some towball arms. I am guessing it’s not a lack of parts as your other model has them.

I think the reason is my lack of experience in suspension construction :) It works, but I could improve that cardan and front suspension. It would definitely help in heavier terrain.

Thank you all for your feedback - I'm still learning, so any advice is valuable :)