Sign in to follow this  
Jeff of Clubs

[OL-FB-Fort] Floating Battery and Barracks

In order to afford the citizens of Nouveau Oleandia a greater deal of protection against possible Lotus attack(or Corries), the hulk of an old trading cog has been moored hastily on the edge of the harbor and fitted with a cabin. 

20220123_145840_compress_compress

At last! Our brave soldiers can leave their wet and soggy old tents behind and billet themselves in a wet and soggy old boat!

20220123_145552_compress_compress

Here some troops may be seen cleaning and refilling the community bird-feeder. The dread of all pirates...and Corries.

As all good defensive posturing requires a lot of heavy metal, a low-floating battery of 32 pounders has been anchored within sight of the barracks ship to cover the harbor itself from raiders. 

20220124_211550_compress_compress

A lone sentry strolls the deck as the garrison takes some leisure time to buy more fine Nouveau Oleandian leather...

20220124_212120_compress_compress

To be licensed directly to the Crown of Oleon as a medium 'fort' in Nouveau Oleandia.

I have been wanting to do each of these for a bit but a barracks with no guns or a battery with no barracks? I figured between the two of them, they can pull off fort stuff.

Thanks!

Sent the license, not sure if I did it right. I requested a property license listing request and a blank list came back. I hope isn't an issue...:pir-blush:

Edited by Jeff of Clubs

The Barracks are an innovative and well implemented idea. :pir-huzzah2: I really like how you built the building on top of the existing ship. The ship's hull is supported with piles and secured with chains. This makes the build realistic. I also like the gun emplacements, they are well built. Both builds have many details that make them interesting.

@NOD,Thanks, bud. It was a good bit of fun and took all my roof tiles. The idea and design for the floating battery was from learning about their use at the 1801 battle of Copenhagen where they prooved a sharp little surprise. Some good paintings portrayed them nicely.

Really loving this! The barge is such a unique build. On one hand, I'm kind of sad you didn't build the prison barge like you intended, but on the other the MOC you've made now is also really great with plenty of cool details. The chains holding the barge in place and the wood struts preventing it from toppling over are such great details to give plenty of character to the build. Same goes for the tattered cloth over the entrance at the side. Great touch there.

The cannons are also well built and I love the sleds you've added there, but the barge takes most of my attention :grin:.

Thanks gang! I'll be honest, I'm a bit ashamed of it considering the volume of time and effort you all put in on your forts alone. I haven't touched my collection in about 5years or so and I don't really 'know my parts'. I'm of a mind to get better though so all c and c are always welcome. @Khorne I will return to the prisonship someday! The whole boat is only attached by the chains! :pir_laugh2:

Great concepts :pir-huzzah2: 

That moored ship is so cool!

Do you have access to Photoshop? If you loaded that first picture into Photoshop and used a selection tool to select the bits on the left where you can see beyond the paper background into the "real world", you can right click and choose FILL --> CONTENT-AWARE and it would get rid of that! I think that would present the subject with fewer distractions.

Thanks! @evanceltI don't. I use a free app to crop and resize the photos as my Android doesn't have that capacity built in and only will take pics the size of the Bayeux Tapestry. I have to snap them from nearly 3 feet away so I can crop most of the image size out and the compress it, otherwise its a pixelated mess lol. I just didnt notice the bad cropping on it until it was posted. Ill check compatibility for PS on android though. I have the lighting a bit better but I will be overhauling my photo set soonly. Thanks!

Edited by Jeff of Clubs

Great work! A fine addition to NO! I love how busy it is without being cluttered.

Thanks for all the support. I'm surrounded by negativity IRL,  so this is a nice change of pace. I try to bring a touch of the exotic to MOC concepts and it seems to be turning the trick here so thanks again and sorry if I seem to be spamming you all. Excitable.

Great execution off very bad idea :) You really don't want to put 32 pounder guns on small pontoon without some proper moving counterweight to counter the recoil force otherwise you would go swim after first couple shots or get butchered by snapped chain links.

That being said I admire the build, it's clean and well executed with good attention to details - chains, ropes around the guns, and my favourite are lamps on the pontoon - that's definitely something I am saving for future use in some of my mocs. And most importantly:forestmen guys!

@omnihash_cz lol. That's not even the worst part, a single volley will probably throw all the spare shot and the guns themselves overboard. Needed to be a larger build with some smaller scratch barrels. They actually pulled it off irl but the platforms were massive.