That car looks awesome! Nice use of panels and there are minimal gaps. Your mocs often don't get enough attention.:sceptic:

20 hours ago, whitepen said:

That car looks awesome! Nice use of panels and there are minimal gaps. Your mocs often don't get enough attention.:sceptic:

Totally agree! What's up with people here? This original MOC is awsome! Nice design with realistic pivot steering in such a tiny space, good work mate. Please do continue to share your creations with us!

23 minutes ago, markaus said:

about as elegant looking as a bag of bricks if im honest

Eurobricks at its best, no one comments to support the creator, but reply to show distaste. Care to develop on your comment? For me this MOC is much more attractive than many other "realistic" mocs you see here, so i need to understand exactly what you mean.

I saw this and didn't really think much of it either, so I refrained from comment, sometimes that's just the way it is. I understand it needs to be simply and light to have any sort of performance, so I just assumed that is what the builder was going for, mission accomplished, looks like a fun car to drive. As far as looks go though it is lacking some refinement, which could easily be remedied. Some things I would change, the wing on the back, too big and high, looks like something you would see on a dirt track, like a super modified or midget racer. The wings on the sides, too big and look more like side pods on an open wheel racer. The driver compartment, is very small and boxy again like some dirt track racers, some things look unnecessary and a bit overdone, to many headlights and exhaust pipes. Also don't like how the front wheels stick out way past the fenders. Anyway most of it is just a matter of personal preference, so I would say it is definitely more than just a pile of bricks and might even be worth revisiting.

As far as the snarky comment, yes not very constructive and definitely not what I would expect anybody to say about someone elses work, not a normal reply especially here on EB, so there is that too.

It looks like something a person with not a lot of parts would put together and there isn't a damn thing wrong with that, I still do it from time to time, with plenty of parts.

Edited by Johnny1360

@Johnny1360 yeah same for me. I could make some criticism, but if I don't have anything nice to say as well i often choose to not comment at all. I mean, it's a creation that was built with a goal (and a budget) in mind, and it achieved the goal. It is a fun little car. Good!

But for more experienced builders like me that is not enough I feel. I need some interesting building technique, stunning looks or something else to catch my interest, and in that aspect this MOC just can't deliver. That's just how it is.

Nice to see the virtual pivot point steering - a much nicer implementation of steering than TLG generally manages!

18 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

I saw this and didn't really think much of it either, so I refrained from comment, sometimes that's just the way it is. I understand it needs to be simply and light to have any sort of performance, so I just assumed that is what the builder was going for, mission accomplished, looks like a fun car to drive. As far as looks go though it is lacking some refinement, which could easily be remedied. Some things I would change, the wing on the back, too big and high, looks like something you would see on a dirt track, like a super modified or midget racer. The wings on the sides, too big and look more like side pods on an open wheel racer. The driver compartment, is very small and boxy again like some dirt track racers, some things look unnecessary and a bit overdone, to many headlights and exhaust pipes. Also don't like how the front wheels stick out way past the fenders. Anyway most of it is just a matter of personal preference, so I would say it is definitely more than just a pile of bricks and might even be worth revisiting.

As far as the snarky comment, yes not very constructive and definitely not what I would expect anybody to say about someone elses work, not a normal reply especially here on EB, so there is that too.

It looks like something a person with not a lot of parts would put together and there isn't a damn thing wrong with that, I still do it from time to time, with plenty of parts.

17 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

@Johnny1360 yeah same for me. I could make some criticism, but if I don't have anything nice to say as well i often choose to not comment at all. I mean, it's a creation that was built with a goal (and a budget) in mind, and it achieved the goal. It is a fun little car. Good!

But for more experienced builders like me that is not enough I feel. I need some interesting building technique, stunning looks or something else to catch my interest, and in that aspect this MOC just can't deliver. That's just how it is.

@markaus These are proper comments, explaining their point of view. We still have to hear from the MOC creator, but it's quite obvious this car never intended to be realistic in its shape or proportions, just a small, easy to build, 500 piece budget MOC. I believe there is a place for everyone in Technic: expert creators with high piece count MOCs with several intricate functions and design details; modest creators like davejsp; and then small or occasional builders with their small creations.

15 hours ago, Hrafn said:

Nice to see the virtual pivot point steering - a much nicer implementation of steering than TLG generally manages!

Yeah, i watched davejsp's video and the steering is for me the highlight of this MOC, very interesting, if we look closely, the inner mechanisms can be seen working and parts of it are shown in the manual instructions preview too.

23 hours ago, KarlW said:

@markaus These are proper comments, explaining their point of view. We still have to hear from the MOC creator, but it's quite obvious this car never intended to be realistic in its shape or proportions, just a small, easy to build, 500 piece budget MOC. I believe there is a place for everyone in Technic: expert creators with high piece count MOCs with several intricate functions and design details; modest creators like davejsp; and then small or occasional builders with their small creations.

Yeah, i watched davejsp's video and the steering is for me the highlight of this MOC, very interesting, if we look closely, the inner mechanisms can be seen working and parts of it are shown in the manual instructions preview too.

Yeah, this MOC, and my MOCs in general are not meant for audiences who like realistic builds, at all. My objective is to make a car with exaggerated looks, kind of childish even, that's easy and quick to build, and yes, i'm under a tight piece budget, none of my MOCs reached 600 pieces, it is small for performance of course.

Well, i'm totally fine quitting my posts here if they generate a negative response from users, i understand eurobricks community prefers high-piece-count, detailed and realistic looks and mechanisms and stuff; i just wanted to reach out to other people like me within the community, thought there was a space for these simpler models too.

I don't think anybody here meant to say you should stop posting your MOCs. I for my part only commented because somebody wondered why this MOC didn't get a lot of comments to start with lol 

1 minute ago, Gray Gear said:

I don't think anybody here meant to say you should stop posting your MOCs. I for my part only commented because somebody wondered why this MOC didn't get a lot of comments to start with lol 

And i appreciate it! Thanks for your contructive comment.

22 hours ago, davejsp said:

Well, i'm totally fine quitting my posts here if they generate a negative response from users

Just - do - your - thing!!! It is really so important. DON'T feel "bad" about "no" responses. Just ignore comments of the tone "a bag of bricks" and put them, where they belong: That is where the light never shines. 

There were so many discussions in this Technic forum about why folks "appear" to be rude when they wanted to be "educational". You know what? There is a thing called politeness. Yes, learning can be/is a steep curve. But so is teaching. "Educational" means much more than that. Ask @JopieK, he has a load of experience in that regard. 

Yes, there may be the super experienced, seasonally nicely aged, knowing-it-all folks here in this forum. They know. And some know better. And that is entirely OK! I can't encompass what I am seeing here in this forum. And I don't reply here, because it is out of my reach what they do here.

The thing is: A "teacher" - in contrast to an "assessor" -  in other words, a person you can - and may want to - learn from - is so much more than "having" superb skills. Focusing on the latter is just that: Narcissistic. Passing along knowledge and skills is something entirely differnt.

OK, the above ranting was not planned ... let me reply to your original post.

I very much like they way you presented your MOC. I like the functions for its size - and - to me - it looks very cool. And I bet you are having a lot of fun running this car down the road/dirt/backyard/living room. Does not get much better!

All the best, and: Stay here, post here and have fun!
Thorsten 

Edited by Toastie

15 hours ago, Toastie said:

Just - do - your - thing!!! It is really so important. DON'T feel "bad" about "no" responses. Just ignore comments of the tone "a bag of bricks" and put them, where they belong: That is where the light never shines. 

There were so many discussions in this Technic forum about why folks "appear" to be rude when they wanted to be "educational". You know what? There is a thing called politeness. Yes, learning can be/is a steep curve. But so is teaching. "Educational" means much more than that. Ask @JopieK, he has a load of experience in that regard. 

Yes, there may be the super experienced, seasonally nicely aged, knowing-it-all folks here in this forum. They know. And some know better. And that is entirely OK! I can't encompass what I am seeing here in this forum. And I don't reply here, because it is out of my reach what they do here.

The thing is: A "teacher" - in contrast to an "assessor" -  in other words, a person you can - and may want to - learn from - is so much more than "having" superb skills. Focusing on the latter is just that: Narcissistic. Passing along knowledge and skills is something entirely differnt.

I very much like they way you presented your MOC. I like the functions for its size - and - to me - it looks very cool. And I bet you are having a lot of fun running this car down the road/dirt/backyard/living room. Does not get much better!

Thorsten 

Yeah, this right here.

Thanks for the support guys. Much appreciated.

I will still continue doing my thing, which is small to medium remote-controlled cars with simple or disproportionate designs, with maybe some interesting mechanics/concepts here and there :D

16 minutes ago, davejsp said:

Thanks for the support guys. Much appreciated.

I will still continue doing my thing, which is small to medium remote-controlled cars with simple or disproportionate designs, with maybe some interesting mechanics/concepts here and there :D

Sounds great!  Looking forward to seeing what else you dream up.

20 hours ago, Toastie said:

Thorsten 

Well it comes (let me rephrase: should come) with the job. Definitely not easy. It is also very difficult to interpret emotions in general but especially online, behind a forum or worse a Twitter post or something. I learned the hard way (after working in secondary and higher education for about 18 years) that sometimes it is better to use a different medium, that is of course not feasible for most of us here, but when you have a discussion online it is much easier to be harsh even if that is not what you mean. I see the same on e.g. Stackoverflow or the Arduino forum, especially for newbies more experiences users might be inclined to be harsh. Maybe you have also noticed that if you google for something you quite often get some post of a person with the same problem but the reaction on it was: "use Google you moron" (hmm, I just did and found your not so friendly advice...). 

@davejsp: Toestie is right, don't get discouraged by negative feedback, I get negative feedback all the time and yet I move forward. Sometimes I use the negative feedback to improve, keep your goal in mind and focus on the positive feedback. LEGO is supposed to be a hobby, people like you give away a lot. A well-known philosophical thinker (who is much more to quite a lot of people around the world, part of my teaching passion comes from him) said: "It is better to give than to receive" and that is exactly what you did. Great built, great instructions, even a video, all the work in the rendering, building, video editing, etc and you do not keep it for yourself but share it with the rest of the world.

But apart from that, @markaus: I think if you leave comments try to give maybe give a tip and a top. Great to have you here at Eurobricks but please keep it a great place to enjoy you hobby with fellow AFOL's. Also consider reading the rules once again: you should have know that we also value interpunction, capitalization, etc: you must have forgotten to apply that rule. No problem, but just a reminder that if you set high standards for others, you'd better also apply these (or even higher) standards to yourself as well. Remember: "Det bedste er ikke for godt". Of course EB wouldn't be EB if it did not have a topic on it: https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/48551-det-bedste-er-ikke-for-godt/, If you keep that in mind for yourself and share your works like @davejsp than Eurobricks will continue to be a nice and friendly place.

56 minutes ago, JopieK said:

Well it comes (let me rephrase: should come) with the job. Definitely not easy. It is also very difficult to interpret emotions in general but especially online, behind a forum or worse a Twitter post or something. I learned the hard way (after working in secondary and higher education for about 18 years) that sometimes it is better to use a different medium, that is of course not feasible for most of us here, but when you have a discussion online it is much easier to be harsh even if that is not what you mean. I see the same on e.g. Stackoverflow or the Arduino forum, especially for newbies more experiences users might be inclined to be harsh. Maybe you have also noticed that if you google for something you quite often get some post of a person with the same problem but the reaction on it was: "use Google you moron" (hmm, I just did and found your not so friendly advice...). 

@davejsp: Toestie is right, don't get discouraged by negative feedback, I get negative feedback all the time and yet I move forward. Sometimes I use the negative feedback to improve, keep your goal in mind and focus on the positive feedback. LEGO is supposed to be a hobby, people like you give away a lot. A well-known philosophical thinker (who is much more to quite a lot of people around the world, part of my teaching passion comes from him) said: "It is better to give than to receive" and that is exactly what you did. Great built, great instructions, even a video, all the work in the rendering, building, video editing, etc and you do not keep it for yourself but share it with the rest of the world.

But apart from that, @markaus: I think if you leave comments try to give maybe give a tip and a top. Great to have you here at Eurobricks but please keep it a great place to enjoy you hobby with fellow AFOL's. Also consider reading the rules once again: you should have know that we also value interpunction, capitalization, etc: you must have forgotten to apply that rule. No problem, but just a reminder that if you set high standards for others, you'd better also apply these (or even higher) standards to yourself as well. Remember: "Det bedste er ikke for godt". Of course EB wouldn't be EB if it did not have a topic on it: https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/48551-det-bedste-er-ikke-for-godt/, If you keep that in mind for yourself and share your works like @davejsp than Eurobricks will continue to be a nice and friendly place.

I really appreciate the support @JopieK, thanks, it fuels my passion. Design the model, create the instructions, create the renderings, take photos, create a video, publish all that online is in fact a lot of work, very time-consuming. Well, seems this MOC topic is going kinda off-topic with thise feedback discussion and such, which was not my intention at all. Sorry for that.

@JopieK

I was hoping so much that you would reply ... and you replied (thank you very much!) in a manner that is - boldly representing the Eurobricks Forum for it's best. The best may be not good enough, :pir-wink: but let's keep that to building and building skills.

I really think your reply is essential. To the very point. It puts things into perspective and at the same time reaches out to everyone. And that is a skill, which makes all the difference.

Did it before, do it again: This community is so much more than a "forum". Owing to the thread starters, discussion participants, and - very much so - to the moderators.

Thank you again, all the best, and have a very nice day/night.

Thorsten

12 minutes ago, davejsp said:

Well, seems this MOC topic is going kinda off-topic with thise feedback discussion and such, which was not my intention at all.

No. I like discussions on behavior/perception/reflection in a MOC topic. Put this into any let's talk about "how to" forum and see it drowning into "yeah, sure, now let's move on to the real stuff" comments never posted.

All is good! :pir-huzzah2:

Best,
Thorsten

Edited by Toastie

13 hours ago, Toastie said:

@JopieK

I was hoping so much that you would reply ... and you replied (thank you very much!) in a manner that is - boldly representing the Eurobricks Forum for it's best. The best may be not good enough, :pir-wink: but let's keep that to building and building skills.

I really think your reply is essential. To the very point. It puts things into perspective and at the same time reaches out to everyone. And that is a skill, which makes all the difference.

Did it before, do it again: This community is so much more than a "forum". Owing to the thread starters, discussion participants, and - very much so - to the moderators.

Thank you again, all the best, and have a very nice day/night.

Thorsten

No. I like discussions on behavior/perception/reflection in a MOC topic. Put this into any let's talk about "how to" forum and see it drowning into "yeah, sure, now let's move on to the real stuff" comments never posted.

All is good! :pir-huzzah2:

Best,
Thorsten

Yeah, i think you got a point there.

Returning back to the model (please :wink:), I would say I really enjoyed its exterior and functions. Not so many such-scaled cars are presented yet with virtual pivot steering, especially RC ones :thumbup:

As for the exterior, Yeah, it looks not-so-realistic and I found, you know, it made rememebring my impressions under earlier Batman movies with these somehow disproportioned cartoonish enough cars but many people (and me too) loved them! So do I, for your model, @davejsp :blush:

Added: just to confess, the huge realistic-detailed cars (1:8-like scale), honestly, make me boring...

Edited by Void_S

@Void_S Thanks for expressing your support, i really appreciate it. In all honesty, the virtual pivot steering wasn't originally planned for this car, i was creating the MOC and also messing around with this kind of steering trying to figure out a simple way to controll it, and the solution i ended up with just happened to fit this car quite nicely (i know it adds more complexity, and is kind of overkill for this simple build), but i was like, why not... and here it is.

Edited by davejsp

13 hours ago, Void_S said:

Returning back to the model (please :wink:), I would say I really enjoyed its exterior and functions. Not so many such-scaled cars are presented yet with virtual pivot steering, especially RC ones :thumbup:

As for the exterior, Yeah, it looks not-so-realistic and I found, you know, it made rememebring my impressions under earlier Batman movies with these somehow disproportioned cartoonish enough cars but many people (and me too) loved them! So do I, for your model, @davejsp :blush:

Added: just to confess, the huge realistic-detailed cars (1:8-like scale), honestly, make me boring...

I can say exactly the same, i actually think that everyone and TLG are now focusing too much on replicating real models too much and that's becoming boring real quick, so, your MOCs are a breath of fresh air in my opinion, please continue doing what you love and contributing with variety to lego Technic.