Sign in to follow this  
Ayrlego

[MOC] South Western Frontier

After successfully completing their northern patrol, 1st Lieutenant Dirk Allcock's troop is assigned the more challenging South Western sector, near the ill defined southern border. This area has a vastly different environment to the cooler North, here the pine forests give way to arid grasslands and desert. The locals are a mixture of races and cultures and the cavalrymen encounter many colourful characters. At a traditional southern house, the patrol are welcomed by the locals, who offer them a place to stay for the night. In the morning, they will continue to search for the bandit gang plaguing the area. Tonight; however, they can relax to the upbeat music and fiery food of offered by their hosts.

51838389717_fc4913e34c_c.jpg

The next in my Western series, I really enjoyed this one and have been wanting to build something Mexican themed for a long time now. The house design was much inspired by @Norton74's Mariachi wagon and Mexican house, which I have admired ever since I first saw it! As with my colonial builds, my extensive childhood collection of off-coloured white came in handy again! I deliberately used the same base as the North West Frontier MOC to highlight the contrast in the different environments (definitely not  and because I'm lazy with bases... :pir_laugh2:!)

I've seen the dinosaur flippers used as plants before, but I designed (for me) a new way of supporting them. I put together a breakdown in case anyone is interested below:

51839335111_8a72c3ed68.jpg

Great build. I can really feel the Southwest vibes in the scene. The building hits all the right architectural embellishments, and the minifigs are perfect. I love your use of the flippers to create the agave/prickly pear plants. Kudos.

This is a very beautiful building with many details. I like the wooden elements used in construction. The cactus is a great idea and looks good.

Beautiful build and unique subject matter. I love it! Those minifigs fit this scene perfectly. And those plants are really cool. Something like this would make a really neat set.

This is one of the most gorgeous MOCs I've seen in a long time. Really nailed the aesthetic and feel of the inspiration. The Earth/Sand green for foliage color helps the dry and arid feel and a perfect blend of tiles and studs for that trampled but rough terrain. Upside-down treasure chest lid as a planter is clever. Fantastic end to end.

This really is gorgeous. Love the overall look and the level of detail. Amazing job with the cactus flipper leaves!

This hits just as hard as Norton74's build! (I guess lightning can strike twice :laugh:) The execution of the design looks perfect to me, very tasteful colors and environment details. 

Clasic Ross Ayrlego! I really love that Wild West vibe and that (by now) instantly recognizable and beloved style! Everything is awesome, including but not limited to the plants, the base, the pergola, etc!

The influence of Norton's build is definitely there, but you did your thing with the subject and made another gorgeous build. You really nailed the architectural details and captured the feeling of Spanish America. There's plenty of details and things to look at; job well done!

Great build.  The building itself looks just like something from an old western movie, in a good way.  The base has some nice texture.  Your idea for the plants is a neat detail.  

Really nice one. What a feeling !

Again you're a killer with the greenies. Nice use of dinosaurs flippers which suits particularly with the mexican touch/spirit of that build.

Yet another :thumbup:

Nice southwestern scene you've built, Ayrlego. You could expect Clint Eastwood to step out of the door any minute.....😉👍